What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX without the "Knobs" panel?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm still planning and playing with panel organization. I'm finding that room on my panel is getting scarce. I'm doing a combo Dynon/Garmin with 10" HDX front and center.

One of the things I can do to regain space would be to remove the "Knobs" sub panel I've been planning.

Dynon Guys & Gals: do you have the Knobs? Critical? Nice, but not necessary? Just how hard is it to use the HDX controls to quickly dial in a new heading or Baro or Altitude assignment?

No problem

I fly with the Skyview system without the knobs or autopilot modules. Your left knob will have all the bugs you are looking for. Pressing the knob will show the list (HDG, CRS, BARO, ALT, IAS, VS, MIN). Just select the one you wish to change and put the value where you want. I normally set heading, altitude and airspeed bugs and then adjust BARO after start. The menu will collapse after several seconds if no further adjustments are made. In my case this leaves the left knob in BARO for takeoff so I can adjust once airborne. There is no weather reporting at my field but several I can receive by pattern altitude on departure so I use the baro setting from my brief for a field eight miles away as the initial setting. The Skyview system is fully functional from the main display without either heading or autopilot modules.

Depends on use. I ran a skyview panel without knobs and other add on buttons for about 10 years. I found it was fine for VFR but should be improved for IFR.

I have the autopilot and knob panel now and recently added a toga button as well as an Ident button. In IFR, I find it efficient and straightforward to reach to a dedicated function upon demand.

Depends on use. I ran a skyview panel without knobs and other add on buttons for about 10 years. I found it was fine for VFR but should be improved for IFR.

I have the autopilot and knob panel now and recently added a toga button as well as an Ident button. In IFR, I find it efficient and straightforward to reach to a dedicated function upon demand.

Same here, I ran without it for a little over 3 years until I got my IFR. I installed it for that, and won't do without it again.

For VFR flight you are a little more relaxed and have the time to pull up the menu and change knob functions, and then use the knob to adjust a value. Single-pilot IFR, in the soup, potentially with traffic around you, time is precious and I wanted the dedicated knob function.

I'm still planning and playing with panel organization. I'm finding that room on my panel is getting scarce. I'm doing a combo Dynon/Garmin with 10" HDX front and center.

One of the things I can do to regain space would be to remove the "Knobs" sub panel I've been planning.

Dynon Guys & Gals: do you have the Knobs? Critical? Nice, but not necessary? Just how hard is it to use the HDX controls to quickly dial in a new heading or Baro or Altitude assignment?

I've been flying behind a Skyview Touch for 5 years now, and I just cut a new panel to add a second 7in the display, certified navigator, AND the knobs. They aren't required, but I find myself switching between baro, heading/track, and altitude frequently and I'm looking forward to flying with the dedicated knob panel. Currently, I usually touch the bug on the screen to make the knob active on that bug. My vote is it's a "nice to have," and if you have the space and a few extra shekels, get the knob pannel.

I see you are building an -8. Here is the panel layout I just had cut. I'm planning on using an IFD-440, but you could put a Garmin 650 in that slot if you were so inclined. Of note, my 10in is off-centered so the left 1/2 IS centered. My current panel is centered, and I've concluded that it only looks "right" when the display is turned off. If fly using a full screen, that would be a different story.

Attachments

• Pannel Layout - BDJ.jpg
    Pannel Layout - BDJ.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Ditto on flying the Skyview sands the knob and A-P panel for the first five years of operating my RV-8 IFR.

Once I got type rated in the B300 and learned the A-P functions of the Proline 21 avionics, I found that the Skyview in expert A-P mode, with a knob and A-P panel, gave my RV-8 nearly the identical A-P functions.

For single pilot IFR operations, using the full capabilities of the Dynon A-P to fly coupled approaches, the knob and A-P panel are excellent tools to make things much easier and safer.

It can be done fairly easy without it but I REALLY can't image life without the knob module. That thing gets touched more than anything else on my panel.

Couldn't agree more, VFR you can live without, IFR I would not try and make due without the sub panels.
I have a hanger neighbor that installed all the subs except the 3 knob baro, heading, alt one and just missing that one panel adds workload to IFR that isn't the end of the world, but is enough to realize the simplicity had he made just a little extra room available when on an IFR flight.

Another vote in favor of the knob panel from me. I have had the knob and A/P panels with my single HDX since the beginning. I can't imagine having to do everything with the single knob on the left of the HDX. It's worth it just for dealing with ATC heading assignments.

When I'm doing a practice IFR approach (not rated yet), I need to dial in my minimums and then set the left button back to IAS in preparation for a go around. Without the knob panel I'd have to set all of my altitudes and headings there too during a busy time. Going without the knobs for IFR is not practical.

I think it's the best value for panel space that I have.

I love the 3 knobs sub-panel but I don’t care so much for the AP sun panel. My biggest complaint with that is that I think the color on the butt selected should turn color instead of all white, selected or not!
That’s my 2 cents

Back