What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frames and skin

BravoAlphaRomeo

Page 38-09, step 9.

For the second time the plans are saying “no gap” between the canopy frame flange and the skin. I’m finding this to be pretty difficult to achieve, particularly where the curve of the skin is greatest. The flanges aren’t formed quite as nice as some other comparable parts…

Anyway, anybody else run into this ? Is it possible to get this perfect ?

Thanks,

You should be able to work the material in the fitting stage till it is a good fit. Just takes a bit. I found that the fitting stage often took more time (and patience) than the actual assembly including riveting…

Went back and looked at 38-09 step 9. I certainly remember that one! For me, this was very time consuming. I think it took me 3 or 4 evenings on that one step to get it right. I really don't know whether or not it needs to be perfect, but I took the time to get no gap. In short, it sucked.

I looked at multiple websites and everybody makes it look easy with little mention of any problems. In the end I got it done and the canopy looks and fits great; but those flanges in the area you describe really don't want to comply.

Then, when you have it right, you get to go back and hammer your hard work with a rivet gun trying to get a smooth surface in that high visibility area we call a glare shield.

Ahhh....good times!

Guys,

I appreciate the feedback above ! l’ll keep working on them until I get them as close as I can get them. It’s helpful to know that I haven’t gone off the rails somewhere :cool:.

Back to the shop !

Finished this recently and offer the following. If I was going to do this section again I would ignore page 38-08 step #4. If you bend the flange to lay flat, as instructed, it is very likely gonna be more than 90 degrees to the web. This will result in a bulge in the glare shield skin when you rivet the bottom close out. I would flute to get the holes aligned centre to centre, check that all flanges are 90 degrees to the web (very important) and then I’d place shims in to fill any gaps.

Back