What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jeppesen Nav data subscription

Bavafa

Well Known Member
In light of Garmin new prices for their Nav data, I called Jeppesen to cancel my subscription and they promptly offered me to match their price and beat it too. They said they would offer it gladly to any one to keep their customer. So if you are happy with Jeppesen and would like to stay, give them a call. It was a pleasant surprise for me.

What is the deal from Garmin?

At OSH Garmin announced that it is going to compete with Jepp for databases. Prices depend on what database(s) you want/need. For me, I need the ifr (US) database for a 420W. Current subscription cost me $440 from Jepp. Garmin's new price is $299. I just got my renewal offer from Jepp, at the old price. I need to call them.

At OSH Garmin announced that it is going to compete with Jepp for databases. Prices depend on what database(s) you want/need. For me, I need the ifr (US) database for a 420W. Current subscription cost me $440 from Jepp. Garmin's new price is $299. I just got my renewal offer from Jepp, at the old price. I need to call them.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. One thing that I asked them was if their new offer/price is for only one year and then it will go back to the original which they confirm that it will not be the case and it is permanent.

When I asked them to cancel, they offered me an additional 6 months on my current subscription

I called to cancel the subscription for my RV7A, 430W. I got a little different, 3 months added to current, and another 3 months added to next year?s renewal. However, they are going to have to lower their price to match Garmin or I will just go with Garmin next year.

My RV7A appreciates the opportunity to buy more fuel and pay less on data subscriptions.

Trying to keep this RV related.

I called to cancel the subscription for my RV7A, 430W. I got a little different, 3 months added to current, and another 3 months added to next year?s renewal. However, they are going to have to lower their price to match Garmin or I will just go with Garmin next year.

My RV7A appreciates the opportunity to buy more fuel and pay less on data subscriptions.

Trying to keep this RV related.
I got three months added and they matched Garmin price. So, do give them another call if you did not get the price match.

If jepp can offer these discounts now why didn't they offer them before, profiteering perhaps?

Can someone educate me a bit? Is this the same thing as Seattle Avionics has been selling? I thought I saw somewhere (here on VAF), that this Jepp thing was only for ipads, while Seattle Avionics goes on your GRT or Dynon Skyview. But maybe I have it wrong.:confused:

Neither. The news is that in the past, the databases for IFR approved gps navigators (430W, 650, etc) - required to be updated monthly - came only from Jepp (sole source = expensive). Now Garmin is competing directly with Jepp for that database business.

Just called Jepp for pricing since they don't list pricing on their website (super annoying). $440 for full US annual subscription for 430W. Compared to $299 from Garmin. When I mentioned that they weren't competitive, they said they would do a 15 month subscription for the same price. Still not competitive.

Thanks anyway, Jeppesen.

Noah,

How do you get the navdata from Garmin? Do they have something like the JDM app to download? Is there a link to it on their website? I can't seem to find any info from Garmin on this new offering.

I got my $440 Jepp renewal via email.
I called and mentioned the Garmin database, and was immediately offered an extra 3 months. I said not good enough, he said he would need to check, put me on hold. Probably for coffee. Came back on and offered an extra 6 months, which makes it a few dollars less than Garmin. Deal done.

I called to cancel my flight data membership and get a refund. The guy asked if I had already bought the Garmin package. When I said I had, he said that was too bad as he could offer a better deal. I told him that if they hadn't beat me up so bad on pricing, I might have tried to stay with them. Customer loyalty has to be earned and there is no better way than by giving outstanding pricing coupled with great service. I found Jepp lacking on both counts. YMMV.

Edit: We'll see how long it takes to get my $187 refund....

-Marc

. Customer loyalty has to be earned and there is no better way than by giving outstanding pricing coupled with great service. I found Jepp lacking on both counts. YMMV.

-Marc

While I was/am always happy with Jepp's service, I too feel the frustration of high prices. But I cannot think of a single company which offers 'outstanding pricing' when it is essentally the sole source of a product. We need both these companies to stay in business, or prices will go back up.

Last edited:
No more matching

Just called Jeppesen to inquire about my $480.00 invoice and asked if they would match Garmin. No dice.. no more matching. I thanked them for serving me for 12 years and they said you're welcome, Good bye..

called jep a few weeks ago and they extended the yearly price for 6 months. :)
rv.png

Just called Jeppesen to inquire about my $480.00 invoice and asked if they would match Garmin. No dice.. no more matching. I thanked them for serving me for 12 years and they said you're welcome, Good bye..

That's too bad. Surely Garmin prices will now go up. The 'dark side' of me wonders if this was just a business decision, or if something nefarious is going on.

Back