What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Triple Tree Aerodrome 2013

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Yesterday, my son and I flew into Triple Tree Aerodrome in SC for BBQ night. SC00 is only 150 miles away but this was the first time we had been there. For years I had planned to go but something always got in the way, usually it was weather. This year the wx was gorgeous and we just had to go.

All I can say is WOW this place is first rate all the way! By far the finest fly-in destination we have ever been to - and we have been to many over the years. Our visit was short but we will be back next year.

After flying into SC00 yesterday, I feel like I have accomplished the Triple Crown of fly-ins this year - SunNFun, Oshkosh, and Triple Tree!

swa7wm.jpg

511tmc.jpg

2r4h943.jpg

29enmgp.jpg

xcszmf.jpg

205dp4w.jpg

a3mtfd.jpg

25ez7o3.jpg

54dc2q.jpg

2hq8dwx.jpg

Last edited:
Just amazing

What a true 'field of dreams!'

Thanks for sharing your pics. It's on my bucket list to get down there some day for O-h-i-o.

Pat really had a vision when he purchased that place. He is the coolest, as Forrest Gump would say, gazillionaire I have ever met. He truly has a passion for aviation of all types and friends with like interest. I have never been to TTT for whatever reason something always comes up. I was a regular for many years back in the days when the Joe Nall RC flyin was over on his home strip. That place is amazing as well.

Some people with Pat's kind of money always walk around with their nose in the air, never come down to the common folks level, keep it all to themselves and would never lift a finger for nothing. Pat on the other hand is just the opposite. He gets in there and works, roams among the common folk and who knows how much he has spent over the years to bring all of what TTT and his older home estate has to fruition. Then he opens it all up for the folks he calls his friends to enjoy.

If you see him, don't be afraid to thank him!

Pat was the first person we met when we arrived yesterday. He was at the desk when we bought our meal tickets. Mr. Hartness warmly welcomed us to his fantastic facility.

Last edited:
Maybe some didn't notice, but Pat was also driving one of the buses that transported people to dinner Friday.

Last edited:
Quite a Place!!!

Had a great time at Triple Tree!!! Met some nice RV folks. It was a beehive of activity and the arrival process works.....unless you have pilots that don't pay attention....I ended up having to go around in the Comanche because of it.

Folks said there were over 400 airplanes by Friday evening....and they kept coming in by the droves on Saturday. Don't know what the final count will be but sure is a bunch! Beautifully groomed field and great atmosphere. We wore coats in VA when we left that morning and wore shorts as it was quite warm at Triple Tree! We knew it would be a madhouse for the BBQ so we decided to bug out in the mid afternoon. BTW.....don't plan on getting quick fuel service....I tried to get fuel "asap" to be ready to go.....they said it would be sometime Sunday morning when I would get it :eek: So we headed back to Rutherford NC about 30 miles to the north and refueled there....good fuel prices and we were allowed to put graffiti on the wall to boot:)

Here are a few photos.

compP1020058_zps87885e29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020057_zps5ccdb491.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020060_zps9bb1bd10.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020061_zps59a88454.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020066_zpsc4a7bdb0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020073_zps71a4141d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020074_zps06a3928b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compP1020077_zpsc1d6d017.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TTT

Bruce I can't believe how much your son has grown, fine looking young man. Sorry I missed you. We were camped at the southend of Runway near the two Champion RV-8s of Bill Straton and Jerry Cornwall. I had a great time visiting with some of my old flying buddies and will probably return next year. RVs pretty much were the dominate aircraft, wonder how many were there.
Gerry Chancey, VAF 172
Repeat Builder, Presently RV-4,N77GC

TT

.............we were allowed to put graffiti on the wall to boot:)

Speaking of grafitti-----Had known that you had your finger on the shutter of that I-Phone, I would have sucked my gut In!:eek:

Great seeing you guys again and I agree the whole experience was awsome!:D

I have GOT to make it out to Triple Tree some day. What an amazing place. As you guys said, "A Field of Dreams".

Be glad.....

Hey Mannan.....just be glad i didn't get a pic when we taxied by you in the Comanche and you had stripped down half naked! :eek:

Kathryn & I enjoyed seeing you again.

Bruce I can't believe how much your son has grown, fine looking young man. Sorry I missed you. We were camped at the southend of Runway near the two Champion RV-8s of Bill Straton and Jerry Cornwall. I had a great time visiting with some of my old flying buddies and will probably return next year. RVs pretty much were the dominate aircraft, wonder how many were there.
Gerry Chancey, VAF 172
Repeat Builder, Presently RV-4,N77GC

Gerry, sorry I missed you. RV4 now? You are an inspiration! I was just thinking about how my son has grown up flying with me. I remember flying with him to see you years ago.
Next year we will have to camp. SC00 is really nice and I would like to spend more time there.
Hope to see you again soon!

Way Cool!

This really was a class act! We had so much fun spending time with many people on this website. The weather was perfect, and it was clear that ALL facets of general aviation were alive and well.

Vic

A few photos at Triple Tree

Buddy Bob and I flew up on Friday and camped at the Hampton Inn in Clinton, about 20 minutes south. About 3:10 heading north into a headwind, about 2:45 heading south with a better tailwind. Hazy but smooth all the way, both directions.

There will be numerous other postings by others containing photos of aircraft. These are highlights from my 200 or so:

Looking NE from the arrival end. Grass roots aviation on a grand scale. Still waiting for a count of aircraft. Had to be in the high hundreds.
ArrivalEndoftheField_zps05bd0bd3.jpg

Roughly SW view from the Hanger. I'd go here once a month if I could.
FromtheHanger_zps3f1af746.jpg

This beautiful hovercraft was on display at the hanger. Beautiful workmanship. Two views:
Hovercraft_zpsffbdc848.jpg

Hovercraftbizend_zpsb6178ef4.jpg

During the steak cookout on Friday an unexpected visitor made a few passes.
Apachevisiting_zpse26d5998.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Saturday night, the restored Navigation beacon was turned on. Wonderful display of the old technology used for navigations during the early days of Air Mail. Need to find out more about how these tied in with the concrete arrows mentioned in another thread.
NavBeacon_zpse3657304.jpg

And here's one for Vlad: The gentleman that restored this explained that it was used to pick up Cosmonauts following re-entry. So Vlad, was that right??
OKVlad-Helpusout_zpsa7d34bcc.jpg

Last edited:
And here's one for Vlad: The gentleman that restored this explained that it was used to pick up Cosmonauts following re-entry. So Vlad, was that right??
OKVlad-Helpusout_zpsa7d34bcc.jpg

... if they land somewhere in Siberia on the marshes or permafrost :D

Several hundred of these aerosleds were built in late 60ies early 70ies in Soviet Union for use in the Arctic by hunters and geologists.

www.aerosanitupoleva.ru

For anyone who camped out overnight, how were the temps and overall comfort and convenience of camping? Anyone use a hammock instead of a tent?

Lee...

Flew 1.7 South over Mt. Mitchell at 13,500'. Touched down at 7:10 PM on Thur. Camped by the plane with my wife and two kids. We had a great time. While fishing Sat AM with my son, I counted 10 planes lined up entering midfield crosswind for Rwy 3 at one time. I would highly recommend not arriving between 9-11 AM on Sat! We returned today at 16,500'. Yes, the -10 with a full load of family and camping gear can still climb 200 FPM while LOP at that altitude. Will be back next year.

For anyone who camped out overnight, how were the temps and overall comfort and convenience of camping? Anyone use a hammock instead of a tent?

Lee...

My wife and two children stayed in an 8' X 8' tent with the screen open on one end. A bigger tent would be nice, but then I'd need a bigger plane. Mosquitos were not too bad. Humidity was high at night and temps were on the chiily side by 4 AM. We had warm sleeping bags/Thermarest mats, so no problem there. Plenty of ants, so keep food sealed or put up high.

Enjoyed seeing everybody. Just wanted to offer a special thanks for the peaches, and the spirit in which they were given ;)

6hp2ti.jpg

heavy dew

We camped overnight sat- the dew was very heavy Sun am. We also used the sleeping bags in the middle of the night. Too wet for a hammock I think.

Meeting

Alway nice meeting Internet Buddies! Glad we met you and your wife Skyking. Hoping I'll be able to make it to the Petit Jean, AR flyin to meet some more of you.

Pat really had a vision when he purchased that place. He is the coolest, as Forrest Gump would say, gazillionaire I have ever met. He truly has a passion for aviation of all types and friends with like interest. I have never been to TTT for whatever reason something always comes up. I was a regular for many years back in the days when the Joe Nall RC flyin was over on his home strip. That place is amazing as well.

Some people with Pat's kind of money always walk around with their nose in the air, never come down to the common folks level, keep it all to themselves and would never lift a finger for nothing. Pat on the other hand is just the opposite. He gets in there and works, roams among the common folk and who knows how much he has spent over the years to bring all of what TTT and his older home estate has to fruition. Then he opens it all up for the folks he calls his friends to enjoy.

If you see him, don't be afraid to thank him!

Perfect example of what you are talking about, we were waiting for the bus on the north camp area and guess who pulls up driving the bus? ...the perfect host.

Back