What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

page 1209 tailcone fairing clearance to tailcone

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Puzzled by fact have not seen any comments about this issue. Am I the only one having to shave the stabilator skins abuting the fairing in order to get the 1/8 clearance in closest stab. position to fairing? Secondly, if I'm not, is there a best way to do it?
thanks
Dick (stuck on last step of fuse) Seiders

Tail Cone

I had the same problem. Dremel tool worked great. Everyone probably had this problem.
Gerry
Threepeat Builder
RV-12, N6GC, Registerted, waiting on engine installtion kit
Cub, NC88583

1209 tailcone frg clr

Thanks for the feedback Always hesitant to remove alum. as it is not easily replaced like fglas. Used the dremel and got it done.
Dick

how much metal did you remove?

I fitted my tail cone this morning. At the forward screw the stabilator actually touches the tail cone. I will need to file or grind a full 1/8 inch. This seems like a lot. How much did you guys have to cut away? This seems like something Van's should change for future kits. Either the fiberglass cone needs to be narrower, or the cut out on the skin needs to be wider. I wonder if a bracket would work to pull the 2 sides of the tail cone together.

Back