What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cart before the horse

Fl Mac

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a feeling about the odds of going EAB with this kit. I went this route for affordability. I did not think avionics was part of the mandatory compliance to be just like the prototype. I was pricing up the panel that is in the prototype and it is the best part of 10K.

I am planning on EAB . I have wings done,fuselage done,tail section done and attached to the fusleage. Its an airplane. The only thing I have left is the fiberglass tail cone to install . I need to pick a color scheme and start painting. I have done everything myself and I intend to paint it myself. This is my second build and I intend to present my case to the FAA for EAB.

Just waiting for the for the finish kit. I might have time to do the paint job while waitng that.

This project is going to cost plenty(912 Rotax) without an expensive avionics pagage. I would like to keep mine simple.

Brad Stiefvater

Odds

I'd like to think it will be approved, BUUUUUUT, your next option then is not very nice. Changing it to E-LSA will be an even bigger overall expense then. This has been talked about a bunch, but it will be a serious gamble at this stage.

John Bender

EAB RV-12

I plan to go the EAB route. I have been told there should not be any problem. But I should document every task and complete a 8000-38 FAA Form. Also I was told the the FAA might not pass the 20% rule and even if they do It might be along time coming. I have completed all the Kits and like others waiting on Finish Kit. I have already purchased a low time (912ULS). I plan to have a basic VFR Panel (steam gauges) and used yellow tagged avionics. This will suffice for my kind of flying.
Gerry
RV-6, N76GC, traded
RV-9, N92GC, Sold
RV-12, N6GC, Waiting on Finish Kit

EAB...a gamble?

I have wings, fuselage and empennage kits complete and am anxious for the finish kit...hopefully in February? I have LED landing lights in the wings and Aveo LED strobes in wings and vertical stabilizer. I have no doubt that KK and Van have every intention of lights and a two axis autopilot capability through the DYNON in the next year (they haven't said anything). The 12 is a nice piece of design and I really don't expect that the FEDS are going to hassle the 12 builders that make simple additions to the airframe as long as good records are kept and documentation is in place. Avionics changes are rampant in the LSA and experimental offerings in just the last three months. Garmin has a new LSA panel introduced just this week! Even a 696 would look good in the center 12 panel and the com and transponder would fit nicely in the glove box hole! So...we can dream; can't we?

I am starting paint next week...

One way to help document your building log is to use the term "fabricated" every time you have to cut apart a prepunched part to make separate parts. That is what I am doing in my log, even though I am building as E-LSA.

Back