What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Savannah

JakeC

Well, it looks like a move is coming soon for me. I'm currently in Baghdad and the Family is in Upstate New York but I've just got word that I will be moving to Savannah Georgia (Hunter Army Airfield) in about 6 months.

The reason I'm posting here is to ask if there is anyone on the list who is familiar with the Savannah area and could point me in the right direction in finding a good neighborhood to start looking for a place to live. A 30 minute commute would be OK but it would have to be a very special area in order for me to consider moving farther than that. If it were a perfect world, a community near a small airport or airstrip would be ideal. Although, on my Warrant Officer pay, I'm not sure I could afford to live in a "Fly-in Community". I'd just love to be close to some grass roots aviation if at all possible. My kids are 7 and 9 and it's high time they start washing some airplanes in exchange for rides. I might even let them take a ride too....:D

Thanks in advance.

Jake,

Welcome back and THANKS for your service!

When you get back, check out one of the Saturday EAA meetings at the Pea Patch. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks guys for the PMs and replies. It's still amazing to me how friendly and willing to help the RV community is. I've seen it over and over on this site just in the short time I've been hanging out here.

Doug, thanks for making this community possible.

Svannah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May I also thank You for your service.
I can't tell ya were to live but boy oh boy can I point you to some great food. In Savannh and alittle place called Tybee Island. You won't be disapointed
Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't tell ya were to live but boy oh boy can I point you to some great food. In Savannh and alittle place called Tybee Island. You won't be disapointed
Rich

dsc01177editedas3.jpg

Airpark

You might want to check out Hodges Airpark. My uncle keeps his C-172 there and I have flown in there numerous times. Real grass roots type airpark, not to far from Hunter AAFB.
Gerry
RV-9 & Cub, RV-12 Wing Kit on order

Rich

It's just not the same since they tore down The Desoto. But you need to check out The Crab Shack when you get there.

You must be getting a brigade staff job since there haven't been any more scouts here at WAAF since 2004 and the branch restructuring. Yes, Hodges Airpark is the nearest to a central location; it's on the sectional. He has a breakfast every third Saturday and welcomes others; KLHW at Wright AAF is now joint-use and they are having quarterly fly-ins (had one today) and an airshow planned in June. Bloomingdale has Cypress Lakes fly-in community on the Sectional but very rich homes with long taxis to get to the short grass strip - so how's that bonus?

Eagle Neck is about 45-60 minutes south of HAAF (traffic is a major factor), but has a fairly high concentration of RV fliers for the area. Lower scale homes but still pricey. Paved, lighted, no services/fuel.

If you're guaranteed a spot at Hunter then you might want to consider across the line in South Carolina - Ridgeland, (3J1), Beaufort (farther at about an hour, 73J). If you may be running back and forth to Ft Stewart, then Richmond Hill is a very popular military area with reportedly decent schools and only about 10-15 minutes from Hodges Airpark and 20-30 from HAAF.

I've just moved here about 7 months ago, so my research may be a little dated but should be pretty good.

Thank You For Your Service

I don't live in the Savannah area but just wanted to say thanks. As an old CW-2 scout pilot class 70-35 wish I could come play in the sand box with you all to give a hand.

Back