What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It finally happened!

Last July I picked up a wrecked RV-3 that had passed between a hand full of people and messed up paperwork. I started the FAA process in August to make it all proper which is a painfully slow process! This morning I looked at the FAA website to find the registration now in my name! OMG I am so happy this part is now complete! 🥳

Work in progress. Have a few taxi tests complete. Next on the list is transition training and tail wheel endorsement.

Attachments

• 20220109_155556.jpg
    20220109_155556.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 345
Registration woes

I have run into a similar situation, I have bought a quick build wing set, an already built empennage, and a slow built fuselage kit from a guy that bought from the primal owner.
Ten years later I have it close enough to start the registration process and FAA wants like a chain of custody of these purchaser's. I only have a bill of sale from the last guy.
I consulted with Vans Registration and I was told that the finish kit was never bought under that serial number and they can’t provide me a bill of sale? Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

PM Sent

Chris,
I sent a pm a day or so ago, asking if I could fly down from Albany for a visit. If agreeable, please email me at address provided in pm.

How does one get transition training in a RV-3? I have the opportunity to buy a RV-3 but cannot figure out how to get transition training (required by insurance).
Thank you!

Transition training

I received my transition training and tail endorsement at the same time in an RV-6. I later bought an RV-3 and was insurable.

How does one get transition training in a RV-3? I have the opportunity to buy a RV-3 but cannot figure out how to get transition training (required by insurance).
Thank you!

Talk with the proposed underwriter or broker. Depending on who you're dealing with and their level of RV knowledge, they may not realize the RV-3 is a single seat. Bruce Bohannon (sp? sorry) does training in an RV-8 and Mike Seager is a common source of transition training in a side-by-side RV. Both are well-respected.

I think an RV-4 would be most representative with its centerline (tandem) seating and tapered gear legs, but I'm not aware of anyone who's got an RV-4 set up for giving dual.

Most insurers will accept a check-out in a similar aircraft. I bought my current RV-3 in 2018. I had 150 hours in a previous RV-3 back in 1999. In 2018, I still owned and was actively flying a Midget Mustang and had about 210 hours in it at the time of my new RV-3 purchase. I think it's all about your entire piloting story and it's worth having a good RV-knowledgeable broker to help negotiate the requirements. The RV-3 is an incredible airplane and I'd hate to see someone deprived of the experience because of insurance!

EDITED TO ADD:

Congratulations to Chris on owning a RED RV-3. They're definitely the best looking and RED is known to add at least 10kts and 500fpm in climb!

Last edited:
I have run into a similar situation, I have bought a quick build wing set, an already built empennage, and a slow built fuselage kit from a guy that bought from the primal owner.
Ten years later I have it close enough to start the registration process and FAA wants like a chain of custody of these purchaser's. I only have a bill of sale from the last guy.
I consulted with Vans Registration and I was told that the finish kit was never bought under that serial number and they can’t provide me a bill of sale? Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Somewhere on one of the forms you are filling out for the DAR, or maybe the registration forms, you are asked how the plane was built. One of the selections is that it was built from parts, instead of from a kit. I did that with one of my builds with no issues.
Sorry I can't remember the exact form and line number.

Back