What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wedge style trim tabs; where to buy?

Mycool

Well Known Member
I was looking for all options on the wedge style trim tabs. I know rv plastics sells them but dont like the idea of the plastic deteriorating.

Does anyone know other sellers/options for the wedge style trim tabs?

I 3D printed myself one. OK, yeah, it's plastic. But plastics don't all deteriorate rapidly (our canopies for example).

Mine is a balsa wedge covered in monokote, then prosealed on. The airplane is hangared and the wedge looks like new after 20 years.

Easy to make from left over foam used in trim tab, plus a layer or two of fiberglass/epoxy. First use a balsa wood wedge, stuck on with tape, cut it down trial and error until you have the right size. Then duplicate with foam/glass.

Rans sells a nice adjustable bump style trim unit. Even comes with the VHB tape to mount it.

Sorry, I dont have a part number or cost------but I can attest to how well it works.

My 8 has a tab on the rudder. Balsa TE stock about 8” long. Experimented with the length to get it right then covered with mono coat and stuck with tape.

You can buy composite shims at your local hardware store and stick it on with tape till you get it adjusted just right.

-Marc

Last edited:
I Don’t Believe the Van’s AEX Wedge is for trim

Part is used on the trailing edge of the elevator between top and bottom skin. Rudder uses a similar construction. I believe designs other than 9/9A use a single skin folded at the trailing end.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Rudder trim....

I toyed around with various pieces of pine until I got the shape and position just right. Then made one out of good old-fashioned aluminum. Blind riveted on. Was perfect in flight. No rudder input needed at cruise.

Attachments

• IMG_91901.jpg
    IMG_91901.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_91921.jpg
    IMG_91921.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 92
Rudder trim

Part is used on the trailing edge of the elevator between top and bottom skin. Rudder uses a similar construction. I believe designs other than 9/9A use a single skin folded at the trailing end.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP
Yep, you are correct. Useful bits and pieces left over from the build. It is a wedge after all.
Filled up the holes and taped a 6" piece onto the rudder with double sided tape.
To streamline the FWD or transition the wedge to the rudder skin, a 6" piece of color matched high speed aviation tape from Lowes smoothed it out.
Ball is centred in cruise. Perfect.

Back