What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sad News 16TG November 5, 2021

RV7Aflyer

It is with a heavy heart that I inform the RV Community that Ted Gauthier, DAR and one of my very best friends for over 20 years, died while enroute from KPTK to Gladwin, MI this morning at about 9:30am. There are no details of the crash except for eye witness accounts saying the engine had quit.

Ted will be missed by the many many friends he made throughout his life. Please pray for him and his beautiful family.

Dave Pohl

Last edited:
Gods speed Ted

Ted has been a great friend and mentor sine he inspected my RV-10 2 years ago. I was lucky to get a hanger right across from his at KPTK. He was always ready to help and support.

Ginny and my Love and prayers go out to his wife, family and all of his friends. He will be greatly missed by all that knew him.

Leo

Oh my….sad sad sad……what a shock to read this!!!
I met Ted at Oshkosh some 20 years ago when I built my 1st RV6, he was there in his. We became friends that day and have been ever since. He inspected many of my builds. Boy, will I miss Ted…..as will so many others. Great guy and always fun to be around. Prayers and condolences to Ted’s family….he will be missed!

This is very sad news indeed. Ted did the AW inspection on the Cozy MKIV along with my RV-10. Coincidently, I was planning to contact him to see if he would be willing to fly up to Gladwin next summer to inspect my RV-9A for its AW inspection here I am building it. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family and friends.

So incredibly sad to hear this. Ted did the inspection on my RV-10 in 2019 and I continued to get to know him since. I had the pleasure of flying with him in my RV-10 to Oshkosh this year. I was thoroughly impressed with sheer number of people he knew personally at the show and his passion for all things aviation. He was an inspiration and has taught me a great deal. He will be missed by many.

A sad day. I have "known" Ted for twenty years via the RV boards but now have another connection. I'm building a Glen-L Zip wood runabout and I've looked at Ted's Zip boat photos many times. His Zip is as finely crafted as his aircraft.

A real loss, his family is in my thoughts.

I am still in shock after getting a call this morning with this news.
Anyone who built a plane in SE Michigan knew or knew of Ted.
Ted inspected my RV-7A over 13 years ago. I flew with him a couple times in his plane.
He will be missed!!
Condolences to his family.

Godspeed Ted

It is so hard to find words to properly describe Ted, particularly from the sense of loss that we all feel. The memories are flowing out. Our airplanes were side-by-side in the shop, and Ted worked so steadily, with all the details worked out, that he left me in the dust. The dust created while he sanded the fillet at the base of the windshield, using a coffee can wrapped with sandpaper. We did the weight and balance and were preparing for the first flight, but somehow his propeller disappeared. He surprised us all the morning of the first flight with his propeller freshly painted to match the colors of his paint scheme. I did the first flight on N16TG, quickly turning the airplane over to Ted and he never looked back.

As avionics rapidly changed, Ted was always trying something new. We tried hard to catch up to him, but never did. We called him the "Gadget Guy". I think he upgraded his panel 4 or 5 times, maybe more. Ted saw the need for a DAR in Michigan and nearby states and did the hard work to fill that need. He inspected my RV-8 prior to first flight, and he inspected countless others of all types, whether it be an RV-10, Carbon Cub, or Zenith 750 STOL. His work as a DAR was exceptional. He forwarded all the paperwork in advance and it was meticulously prepared. Inspections were very professional and he had a great set of eyes for things that needed attention. He politely gave us a 40 hour Phase I, and knew the reasons why. If you ever, and I mean ever, had a question about operating limitations or how to document this or that, Ted knew the answer.

He was an avid balloonist, along with many of his family members. They had recently returned from the Balloon Fest at Albuquerque, and as always Ted was the spark that kept everyone moving and on their game. As mentioned earlier, he had constructed more than one wooden boat. His craftsmanship was superb and his boats won many awards. Ted could do anything he set his mind to, and he was truly a man in motion.

Ted always had a friendly smile, and he always found time for his friends. It is really hard to understand why Ted left us today, but I find solace that a Higher Power decided that Ted had finished enough projects here, and was needed upstairs. When you look at the stars tonight, one will be noticeably brighter than the others. Just imagine that it's Ted working late on some new project. RIP Ted. We will never forget your kindness and there will always be a spot in our hearts for you.

Very Sad

I have known Ted since 2004, had a hangar in the same row for 14 years. He will be very missed.

R.I.P. my friend.....

16TG

Picture of N16TG

Attachments

• 20210515_084337resize.jpg
    20210515_084337resize.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 683
I new Ted from the Van's Aircraft Forum and also the Glen L Boat Builders Forum. We met several times at EAA and also the Glen L boat Gatherings and ACBS Boat Shows. We both built Van's Planes and Glen L Zips. He was a very nice guy that was always a pleasure to be with. I will miss him as I am sure all his friends and family will. My Prayers and thoughts go out to his many friends and family.

This is a picture of Ted and me at the ACBS International Boat Show in Alexandria Bay, NY in 2019. We both won awards for our boats at the show.

1ywWVjEh.jpg

Last edited:
Prelim Report

Date & Time: November 5, 2021, 09:37 Local Registration: N16TG
Aircraft: Vans RV Injuries: 1 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation - Personal

On November 5, 2021, about 0937 eastern daylight time, a Van’s RV-6 airplane, was destroyed when it was involved in an accident near Harrison, Michigan. The pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) data indicated that the airplane departed runway 27L at Oakland International Airport (PTK), Pontiac, Michigan, at 0846. After departure the airplane climbed in a right turn and flew northwest for about 12 nm, then turned north for about 5 nm, then back to a northwest heading. The airplane reached a cruise altitude of about 3,000 ft and remained on the northwest heading until track data was lost about 0930. The last ADS-B position was about 8.4 miles and 260° from the accident site. The data showed that the airplane was in straight and level flight before the end of the data. The accident site was located about 1 mile south of the approach end of runway 36 at the Clare County Airport (80D), Harrison, Michigan.

The airplane impacted the back yard of a residence. Impact signatures indicated that the airplane struck the ground about 45° nose low. The initial impact point was located directly beneath the airplane. The airplane remained predominately intact with all major airframe components still connected. The engine was still partially attached to the fuselage. The 2-blade wood core propeller was still attached to the engine. One blade was broken off near the blade root. Neither blade was splintered and were predominately intact.

The Final Report is in but still leaves questions. For whatever reason, my iPad will not paste the link to it.

PDF

Ted was the DAR for my 14. Great guy. Rest in Pease, a true loss to our hobby.

Attachments

• Report_CEN22FA029_104207_9_4_2023 6_20_30 PM.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Back