What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine hoist specs

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
My search for an engine hoist among local RVers has failed. So I guess I have to buy one. I saw one at Northern Tool and Equipment for a couple hundred dollars but I know nothing about engine hoists and I'm wondering if there's some general specs that I absolutely, positively need to have when installing my engine -- which is a 360 from Mattituck?

Thanks in advance.

Lift capacity shouldn't be a problem. Make sure it lifts high enough. Folding hoists are very nice--it's not something you use often. That said, my hoist got used quite a bit in the end game of my build.

Looking forward to seeing you at Oshkosh.

Guy

Pretty much anything that can hoist 250-300# will do, Bob. Harbor Freight probably has a basic one that would work just fine.

That said, you really cannot find an engine hoist to borrow from someone in an EAA chapter around MSP? You will only need it for about 1 hour and will probably never need it again (perhaps except when fitting gear leg fairings), so it would kind of be a waste of money. Good luck.

It's money well spent. You'll find multiple uses and it's right there when you want it.

There's the prop to hang. It's a delicate positioning task.

Taking the engine off before moving to the airport and rehanging adds two hours, lost in the noise. It's SO much easier and safer than leaving it attached.

Look for a hoist (cranes they're called) that is labeled for 1/4 ton at max extension of the arm, about 4 feet. Engines and a few accessories weigh well north of 300#. It should disassemble by pulling a few pins and backing off a few nuts to facilitate storage and movement.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Last edited:
Hoist

I got mine from Northern with an engine stand for $149. Gave the stand away. It's a BIG RED 2 ton hydraulic engine hoist. Even at max extension of the hoist arm it can handle 1/2 ton, way more than you need. It worked beautifully and can easily hoist the entire front of the plane for maintenance work. Good luck. Bill

2 ton on sale now for 169.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7620
2 Ton Capacity Shop Crane
Includes 8 Ton Ram!
Heavy duty shop crane delivers tons of savings.

* All-steel construction designed for lifting engines, machinery and other heavy components
* Ideal for moving, repair, maintenance or assembly
* Ball bearing casters allow easy maneuvering around the shop
* Adjustable legs for greater stability

Includes 8 ton ram, chain, hook. Maximum capacity: Position 1(closed): 2 tons; Position 2: 1-1/2 tons; Position 3: 1 ton; Position 4 (fully extended): 1/2 ton; Ram capacity: 8 ton; Boom length: 54" to 79"; Maximum height: 117''
Weight: 250 lbs.
ITEM 7620-7VGA

Seems I have a current sales flyer from HF showing this for sale for 169.
We have this one and really like it.

If you have an overhead attach point,

You can pick up a nylon strap come along from Home Depot, Lowes for just a few $. I put a 4 x 4 over the 2 truss' in my garage and attached the come along to it. Works great, and it is cheap.

Gary Specketer
Flying

The HF unit is on sale quite often. I watched Craigslist for some time, but they usually wanted as much as HF's sale price. But you never can tell...

Since my kid got held up (during Oshkosh, no less) at gunpoint because of an ad (for video games) on Craigslist, I make it a point never to give them any business. But thanks for the tip on HF, folks. I'll go visit them today. It'll be better than working.

Did you ask WIP? They may have one you could borrow. I bet that spin training instructor at the end of Bravo with the tri pacer might have one. Someone on the field must have one you could borrow if you just need it for a few hours.

Vince

Back