What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick build vs standard..

Roy25101

I have searched the RV-10 forum and have not found much in the way of model specific info on QB vs standard.

I am slowly approaching the completion of the tail and am going to have to make the dreaded decision soon. Does anyone have a strong opinion on which direction to go.

I would also love to hear how long it took folks to finish the standard wings and or fuselage. I have seen estimates that vary greatly.

As always, I appreciate this resource. Y'all have been a great help...

Like a lot of questions on this forum, the answer really depends on the individual. For me, riveting together the wings and fuselage was very enjoyable, perhaps the most enjoyable portion of the project, and I couldn't conceive of paying someone else to do it for me. But I know that not everyone is like me. ;) Are you enjoying the build so far?

Love the build so far but one problem I have found is a lack of help. Everyone is so busy these days, myself included, that I am finding this to be a solo project for me. I am not sure how much multi person work is required to get the wings and fuse done...

Like Andy stated, it really depends.

I did the standard build for both kits. If I had to do it over again, I would probably quick build the wings. I found the wing kit to be rather repetitive with all the deburring and match drilling that is required.

I enjoyed the fuselage because it's a different activity on each page of the plan.

The questions that only you can answer are:

1. Do you enjoy building?
  2. How quickly do you want to fly?
  3. Does your budget allow funding the quick build kits?

If you enjoy building, don't get the quick build kits. Otherwise if you want to fly faster and can afford it, get the quick build kits.

Yes, there are tasks that you'll need a helping hand, but they are limited. With the exception of a few steps, I built mine by myself.

QB Fuse and Wings

I concur with the others above. It will depend on your time availability, self motivation and personal wants.

I personally got the QB Fuse and Wings. I liked the idea of the wings and wing spars being completed. It was my first build of anything like this.

I finished in 3.5 years (no paint) which is fairly quick, however, I did think that there was still a lot of work and was glad I took this path.

If you are by yourself think carefully as the difference between "to QB and not to QB" as the time cost will be significant.

Can I suggest, look at the amount of time you are currently spending average/week, look at the average build times on the QB and non-QB builds on KitLogPro (my estimates are approx 1800-2000 QB, and 2500-3000 non-QB) and then work out when you are likely to finish.

Ask yourself, am I happy with that and can I sustain the effort for that period of time. If Yes then SB, if not then QB. If not sure, then start with a QB/SB component and re-assess at end of that segment to see if the alternate option would be appropriate.

Sounds like from Bob that the Fuse maybe the SB segment might be the most fun. Either way, make sure you are honest with yourself based on your real build capability.

In the end better to get a little help and finish than get half way and be disillusioned...

Hope this helps. :) Good luck.

QB vs Slow

I did the quick build wings and fuse, and I would do it again.

Yes, I like to build but the time saved was well worth it for me. Then again, I am not able to spend 8 hours a day building...family and full time job takes care of that!:D

I have been happy with the quality of the QB work, only issues have been having to drill out some rivets that were not supposed to be installed yet but that was pretty minor...

Great info. I did not really give consideration to doing a SB fuselage then QB wings after the fuselage is done.. I assume Van's is good with that arrangement if I am reading their site correctly.

Again, thanks for the input. Any other would be greatly appreciated...

Another big factor is how soon you want to fly the Ten. If a normal build time for wings and fuse is 800 to 1000hrs, and you can only invest, say, 300 hrs/yr in build time, then the QB route get's you in the air 3 yrs sooner. That's huge.

Like Andy stated, it really depends.

I did the standard build for both kits. If I had to do it over again, I would probably quick build the wings. I found the wing kit to be rather repetitive with all the deburring and match drilling that is required.

I enjoyed the fuselage because it's a different activity on each page of the plan.

I feel the same way as Bob. I also standard built everything, and if I do it again, I'll QB the wings for sure. The fuse was a very fun part of the build!

Helper

I did my build solo. for wings and fuselage had about 15-20 hours of help total. 6 of that being closing the bottom skin of the wings that would need to be done with the quick build as well.

I enjoyed the wings. Since I was doing the same thing for days at a time, I would put an audio book on and listen to the story. I hated when I ran out of deburring and had to think again. That caused the audio book to have to be paused.

Not in a big hurry to fly. I have a great 172 and fly professionally so not to anxious to get it airborne. I would however like to get it done in under five years. Four would be ideal and I don't plan on any extra mods.? Thanks again for all the input...

Slow Build for me..

..I took the slow build route and have watched as several 10 builders passed me up in their builds. However, since I started my build in Aug 2011, we have been blessed with 2 children, and I have tried to balance my time between being a builder and a good father/husband. In retrospect, I wouldn't have done it differently. I saved almost $14K!

Last edited:
Heck.... I bought the whole thing built and flew immediately. I'll build a back deck if I get that urge!

I did my build solo. for wings and fuselage had about 15-20 hours of help total. 6 of that being closing the bottom skin of the wings that would need to be done with the quick build as well.

I did a quick build wing, with no help other than unloading it from the truck.

I went QB because as a first time builder I wanted a "professionally" built spar. I now realize that the horizontal stabilizer spar is important too, and that was built by me! I enjoyed the build process, and, if I had it to do over, would probably go slow-build if it were up to me. Spouse, OTOH, wanted it done.

..I took the slow build route and have watched as several 10 builders passes me up in their builds. However, since I started my build in Aug 2011, we have been blessed with 2 children, and I have tried to balance my time between being a builder and a good father/husband. In retrospect, I wouldn't have done it differently. I saved almost $14K!

I paid more up front for the QB but didn't have any kids, so I reckon I've saved at least $200K, and that's at state college prices. :)

It's a very personal choice. Even with the QB, I've had all the riveting I can handle just building the empennage, and now I'm into what I consider the fun stuff...wiring, FWF, finishing the interior, planning the instrument panel, plumbing for fuel and brake fluid.

i went slow build with the wings, i feel as i flew by them. I did get alot of help with deburring though. I've also been known to put in 16 hour days in as well. It probably helps that i am single and the only kid i have is one of the 4 legged variety.

Roy, drive up to Dunnellon and you can see 3 -10's in progress. Bring your rudder with you and compare the quality of your build to the SB and QB wing and fuses here. That may help you decide which way to go. We're not far away.

Ha!, I had no idea y'all were Dunnellon. I flew right over there twice in the last week back in forth to Pensacola from Sanford in the Cessna. I'll have to stop in. Thanks for the invite?.

..I took the slow build route and have watched as several 10 builders passes me up in their builds. However, since I started my build in Aug 2011, we have been blessed with 2 children, and I have tried to balance my time between being a builder and a good father/husband. In retrospect, I wouldn't have done it differently. I saved almost $14K!

Building a -7, not a -10, but my thoughts are similar. QB can be great if you have the coin to spare, but I don't. I'm working to afford the airplane as I build it; it would take me as long to work the extra time to pay for the QB as it is taking me to build the SB. I'd rather spend the time at home building than sitting at my desk working, and get a lower tax bracket to boot. We're also still trying to adopt, so I can't dip into that savings bucket.

I was a first time builder, doing it by myself. It took 3200 hours, in 5 years and one month. I did QB wings & fuselage. If I did it again, I would still go for QB wings, but a SB fuselage.

John

Back