What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Wee bit Nippy!

petehowell

Well Known Member
Well, it was sunny in Minne today when Andi and I decided that we had been cooped up long enough. There was an airport diner in Wisconsin that needed some business...... The temp was 0F.....

-2500 density altitude...oh boy
IMG_20140209_133235.jpg

Pretty nice day, but really cold - electric vests and gloves in the cockpit!
IMG_20140209_140214.jpg

Diner at Eau Claire serves Spotted Cow! Andi put one down and tried to coach Bernie on the the finer points of the cross-wind landing back at Anoka....
IMG_20140209_124451.jpg

On the way home we heard Brad and Vince playing tail chase in their -6 and -7, so we were not the only crazy ones!!

Great day to fly!!

Come on Pete. Trip of such magnitude and only THREE pictures? Show us that Spotted Cow show the tail chase. And who are Brad and Vince btw? :D

Vlad - hope this helps:

12436304393_b5a8135d03_z.jpg

Also, when doing tail chase, Vince is usually the one in front. ;)

And yes, Pete is exactly right - it was cold! I saw -6º F OAT at one point.

Well,

Tiny drift.

I was sipping tea, reading The Times way above you at FL400.....

Came over from Manchester UK to Cancun - very strange route due to the jetstreams - 11 hours 2 minutes :eek:

North over Glasgow, Iceland, Greenland, GCFA, Chicago, Milwaukee, Memphis, New Orleans and out to the gulf.

Sat in -70c for around 4 hours over Greenland, had to bring the tip fuel into the wing tanks as it got down close to its freeze point.

What was interesting was the way the ground temps rose as we crossed 49N.

-11c at Chicago, -3 at Milwaukee, +10 at Memphis, +18 at New Orleans.

Having operated our 7 at sub zero temps, its interesting all the niggly things that cause problems - misting canopy, poor heater etc but boy do they go well when it's cold :D

Anyhow, it's 28c and sunny here - back to Blighty tomorrow, hoping for around 8:10 with a tailwind.

Did Pete mention it was cold. Very very cold!!My oil temp got up to 121 F. I really need to put on aileron boot covers.

Did Pete mention it was cold. Very very cold!!My oil temp got up to 121 F. I really need to put on aileron boot covers.

and baggage compartment corrugation seals, flap linkage seals, stick seals (arguably the most important ones!), some sort of rear slider seal, oil cooler valve, etc..

Back