What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold Air Intake/Sump for O-320

nekit

Has anyone modified a cold air sump system for a O-320?

From what I can tell Superior and ECI systems are just O-360.

Are the sumps the same and just custom outer intake tubes need made?

Thanks

If my information is correct, the only thing you need to use the sumps are different intake tubes, which Superior or ECI will have pn's for.

Has anyone modified a cold air sump system for a O-320?

From what I can tell Superior and ECI systems are just O-360.

Are the sumps the same and just custom outer intake tubes need made?

Thanks

I did it on my 0-320 B2B. Same sump as 360 but different intake tubes. You will also have to change your oil pick up depending on what system you had before and cut the dip stick. Another gotcha is that a regular exhaust won't work. You will have to specify that you have a cold air sump from XYZ manufacture.

I started thinking about doing a cold air sump also on my IO-320. Embarassingly, I have to crack off the sump from my engine anyway - dropped a darn nut down in there while putting on a mag hole cover plate, and my magnetic fishing pole can't snag it.

The only thing I have to wonder is how much performance / fuel efficiency gain do you really get, especially when used on top of an all-EI ignition/injection system like EFII? Would it really be worth my time and money to bolt on a cold induction system if the majority of my performance / efficiency gains are from the EFII system?

Would it really be worth my time and money to bolt on a cold induction system if the majority of my performance / efficiency gains are from the EFII system?

Is up to you to decide, but remember nothing is ?free?. Be prepared for higher oil temps because the incoming air is not cooling the oil. My bud did this change after having over 500 hour with the standard oil sump configuration. He is now seeing 15-18 deg higher for oil temps in all flight regimes.

By the way, I also did the same thing with my hardware.

We normally saw about 5-7 HP increase from the same engine updraft vs. Horizontal draft, in the test cell. In addition, the 360 with the forward facing sump and 9:1 pistons pretty much put out 192-193 HP at full power with standard mag ignition and EI that held the timing to 25 BTDC for TO. I would assume, you would see similar gains on the 320 from the stock 160HP configuration.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

pipes

I have two sets of stainless pipes to fit the 320 with the Lycoming sump or I have a 320 superior sump kit as well I can make a deal on. You may have to have custom exhaust made if you go that either way.

Jesse

I have an ECI Cold Induction kit I would like to sell, New In Box. For -360 but I think it should work for a -320.

I bought a partially complete -7 which already a cold air induction sys installed.

Asking $ 1600.00

Glenn Wilkinson

49clipper

I put the Superior Cold air sump on my O-320D2A. I now have worse mixture distribution than with a stock lycoming sump. Number 2 cylinder is pretty lean most all the time. It only evens out at 16" and less. The difference is my new cold sump is horizontal with a TBI, and the lycomings I have had on the same engine were vertical. I would do it again. I would go with a stock lycoming sump. My oil temps are also about 15F higher. If you have FI it would be fine, I suspect.

Back