What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UHMW tape

Not sure what you are using it for, but I like the paint protection tape made by 3M MUCH better. Flyboy accessories sells it, and is an advertiser on this site. This stuff is so clear, you can hardly see it, doesn't yellow, and supposedly can be easily removed.

Got some UMHW tape from Stein.

Not sure what you are using it for, but I like the paint protection tape made by 3M MUCH better. Flyboy accessories sells it, and is an advertiser on this site. This stuff is so clear, you can hardly see it, doesn't yellow, and supposedly can be easily removed.

Thank you for the mention! Just to make things easy, here's the link: http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Paint-Protection-Film-p/2301.htm

We sell it in 2", 4", and 6" widths, by the foot. We've got plenty in stock, and would be ready to ship when we get back from Oshkosh on Monday or Tuesday.

FWIW, we had it on our Rocket, and took it off after 9 years (before the plane was sold). Still clear, came off clean.

Wrinkles

Thank you for the mention! Just to make things easy, here's the link: http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Paint-Protection-Film-p/2301.htm

We sell it in 2", 4", and 6" widths, by the foot. We've got plenty in stock, and would be ready to ship when we get back from Oshkosh on Monday or Tuesday.

FWIW, we had it on our Rocket, and took it off after 9 years (before the plane was sold). Still clear, came off clean.

Is it slightly 'strechy' when you apply it?

Or is it like the SS tape with no stretch and easy to get wrinkles?

I used 1 inch tape and was able to get modest curves when applied. I don't think you're going to be able to curve the wider tapes very much.

Thanks... I wasn't thinking of actual curves, just very minor alignment changes when placing a long piece trying to follow a straight line.

Gil, and others.... yes, the 3M PPF tape is quite stretchy and, with patience and proper application, it will conform to just about any curve on an RV within reason. This stuff is the same material that custom car shops put on the front end of your high dollar cars, and they have far worse curves to contend with.

And, yes, it is removable up to to at least 8 years after installation WITHOUT any sticky mess left behind... from personal experience.

For the price, there is no better bang for your buck when it comes to versatility and protection.

And it's cheap.

Which product would be best for an unpainted phase 1? I just need something temporary that can be easily removed for paint.

Back