What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting ribs with notched flanges?

Roy25101

I am at the point of preparing the ribs for the HS and noticed that unlike many of the build site pics, the flanges of my ribs are notched so they seem to lay flat if you force them with minimal effort. I assume this is something that Vans has started doing on the more recent -9 kits. I fluted most of them until I realized that mine are not like other folks. I clecoed two of them to the skins and the holes seem to sign up quite well. I was just wondering if anyone had any input into this.. As always, thanks.....

The parts are the same as they have always been.
Notches are used in some locations on parts where the radius is tight enough that the part would not form well. This is usually near the leading edge of wing and stabilizer ribs, and tight radius areas of the fuselage bulkheads.
Any other areas of the parts that have any radius in them still typically require some amount of fluting.
A much better check for someone with little experience is to first adjust the bend angle of the flanges and then use a flexible straight edge to check the alignment of the pre-punched holes. Flute as needed until all of the holes align.

I am at the point of preparing the ribs for the HS and noticed that unlike many of the build site pics, the flanges of my ribs are notched so they seem to lay flat if you force them with minimal effort. I assume this is something that Vans has started doing on the more recent -9 kits. I fluted most of them until I realized that mine are not like other folks. I clecoed two of them to the skins and the holes seem to sign up quite well. I was just wondering if anyone had any input into this.. As always, thanks.....

Doubt you'll need to flute anything on the HS. That's just how much the match-hole kits have evolved since the early "prepunched" version that required some fluting to get the ribs to line up with the skin.

Now, wait till you discover the "legacy" rivet holes that are no longer used because of the notched ribs and the Service Bulletin on the fwd spar web. That had me scratching my head for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
Back