Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2020, 01:31 PM

Default RV 9A - Seats, Sitting Position?

Question for the group what is the sitting position for an RV9A?

New pilot, doing some long term planning for getting my own plane in 3 years or so.

Mission will be to take the wife on 2, maybe 3 hour flights from Atlanta to the beach, see the "kids" (they're all over 21), or other places she desires.

Also will fly a bit locally for $200 hamburgers, etc.

RV9A looks to be a great candidate.

Wife (and I as well) needs to be comfortable though. The Skylane, Tiger, and Skyhawk we rent have seating position and enough room to make it enjoyable. To put it another way, I drive an SUV because it has upright seating, vs a sports car that sits more like a go kart. For that reason alone I don't believe we'd entertain getting a Mooney.

How does the RV9A sit? Like a Skylane, Tiger, or Mooney? Seats don't look adjustable up or down/front to back. Do people add seat foam to adjust? Just curious.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:34 PM

The 9 is basically just a 7 with different wings ... for lots of room and a more upright seating position take look at the 14 ... you can build one in 3 years for far less than you'll pay for one right now
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 10-20-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:41 PM

I bought my RV-9A with an "Almost-a-14" mod installed. I don't need that much reclining, but flipping the rear seat hinge down puts me at the same recline as leaving it up without the A-a-14. It sits nice and upright, very comfortable seating position. I found it very comfortable on the 5 hour ferry flight back.

The -9A is a great cross-country airplane. Great performance, very fast, exceptionally economical fuel-wise.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:42 PM

Only adjustments are 3 positions of the seat back.. you can move very slightly forward or aft. Mine just stays in the aft. Seats are very comfortable. I got some very high quality memory foam from a place in NC that claims they make cushions for ejection seats in fighters and seats in helicopters and made them myself... you sit low, unlike a Cessna where you sit high. How big are you? Hate to ask but size and weight make a difference in RV.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:43 PM

5’11”, 195 lbs. Ive searched “almost a 14” but no results. What area shoul I look in? Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 05:07 PM

Anti Splat Aero website. I believe they have the almost a 14 modification.
Dynon HDX
Flying as of 5-4-18
Old 10-20-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDD View Post
Question for the group what is the sitting position for an RV9A?

New pilot, doing some long term planning for getting my own plane in 3 years or so.

Mission will be to take the wife on 2, maybe 3 hour flights from Atlanta to the beach, see the "kids" (they're all over 21), or other places she desires.

Also will fly a bit locally for $200 hamburgers, etc.

RV9A looks to be a great candidate.

Wife (and I as well) needs to be comfortable though. The Skylane, Tiger, and Skyhawk we rent have seating position and enough room to make it enjoyable. To put it another way, I drive an SUV because it has upright seating, vs a sports car that sits more like a go kart. For that reason alone I don't believe we'd entertain getting a Mooney.

How does the RV9A sit? Like a Skylane, Tiger, or Mooney? Seats don't look adjustable up or down/front to back. Do people add seat foam to adjust? Just curious.

Thanks!
The seating position is closer to that of a Grumman Tiger rather than C172. Sorry I can't comment on the Mooney.

The seat back in the RV is tilted back a bit, but the main difference in the seating position is that the base of the seat is nearer to the floor, so your knees will be higher than your hips. The cross section of the seating picture on the Vans website shows this.

There is also a technique required to get in/out of the RV, it is like lowering down into a bathtub. Seat cushions can make quite a difference for comfort, but after 2 hours in an RV I am really ready to get out. I'm also 5'11" average build.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 10-20-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
There is also a technique required to get in/out of the RV, it is like lowering down into a bathtub.
Anti Spat Aero to the rescue again...the Easy Exit Bar is a life-changer in terms of getting in and out. $89, 10 minute installation.

I agree that the quality of the foam in the seat cushions is a very important factor in comfort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 8.11.54 PM.png
Views:	170
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	3629  
Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 PM

I’m 5’11 and 230. So far my RV9 has been the most comfy cross country hauler I have flown. I have the almost 14 mod as well and it’s just really comfy seating position for me. Longest day I have had in one was 6 hours total flight time. Longest leg was 3.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Warren, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."