What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another beautiful day at Cedar Key

carlrai

Well Known Member
Had I realized I would have a few good photos, I would have taken more of the airplanes and people on this little jaunt to Cedar Key (KCDK)

Often mentioned in the forums, being based only about 80 miles south makes this a regular hop for breakfast or lunch and provides some of the most beautfiful flying north of the Keys. Becky and I launched with my good friend George Barth and his pal Mike in our 9A's and about 30 minutes later were setting up for the pattern:
DSCN0048.jpg

This is one of my favorite destinations because of the simple beauty of the islands and flying out over the tranquil Gulf of Mexico. Slide into a left downwind for 05 and slow things down for one of the coolest approaches in the state. Here Base to Final:
DSCN0056.jpg

RV's make this so easy. Short final. Taken by Mike Britt from George's RV-9A:
cedarkey_runwayshortfinal1resize.jpg

The short street of restaurants literally built on the water all have great seafood with Grouper Sandwiches, Oysters and Chowder topping our favorites. The other reason we love this place is the tranquil setting. It's like going back about 60 years to a simpler life. It's a great place for a weekend retreat.
DSCN0066.jpg

Departing we made one last pass over restaurant row for a photo. Stopped at Crystal River on the way home for ice cream at the DQ adjacent to the field. That's another story. Great day with the RV.
DSCN0075.jpg

And finally here's one last look taken by Mike Britt last year on our way out:
cedarkeycroppedresized.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up and pics, Carl. I STILL haven't made it up there in the RV. Might have to scratch that off the list next weekend.

Was a perfect day today, Ryan

I should have called you. Photos were with an inexpensive point and shoot and don't do the day justice.

You'll be glad you made the trip. Once you've made the short flight you'll go often. Call for Judy's taxi about ten miles out on Unicom and she'll pick you up at the airport.

There's an Art Festival there April 23 & 24 that we're planning on attending. That will require an EARLY arrival to get a place to tie down on pavement. Another excuse to make the flight.

We go to CDK about once a month from Atlanta. We all should pick a week end and meet there.

Vic

great idea........

lets do a flyin for the festival. turbo ps nice rundown dock pic.

Last edited:
Make it a Fly In - Why not?

Turbo and others

Sure. Below is a link to the notes on the Art Festival and another to the Cedar Key Chamber of Commerce.

Attended the seafood festival last fall. We arrived early and had no trouble parking on the pavement. It does fill up quickly so an early arrival is highly recommended. When we returned to the airport, the grass side had quite a few aircraft parked there.

http://www.cedarkeyartsfestival.com/

http://www.cedarkey.org/

And for those that go regularly and want to record it, Judy's Taxi can be reached at (352) 949-2127. She will usually respond to a radio call but having the number is handy too. $5/person one way.

Is this a possible overnight trip? I have 1.5 hrs left on my restrictions and was thinking about taking the boss on a weekend trip to Fla about this time. Looks like a good destination. Any advice on accomodations here (clean and reasonable- possible B&B?).

Great for a weekend

Go to the Chamber of Commerce website for ideas. Both B&B's and hotels.

Also call Judy's Taxi. Judy knows everyone/everything about Cedar Key and can point you in the right direction.

Both listed in previous post.

DARN, THE SECRET IS OUT

I GUESS WE WILL NEED TO PUT IN A CONTROL TOWER AND IMPLEMENT THE "WATER-ONE" ARRIVAL!

Cedar Key

Great pictures Tommy. Cedar Key and the Nature Coast are the last frontier of Florida, beautiful scenery and great fishing, also some good food. Be prepared for a crowd if you go during the Festival, also they are usually doing scenic flights which adds to the traffic. Like one other poster said, arrive early.
Gerry
Repeat Builder
Cub, NC88583

RV-12, N6GC, almost finished and for sale

Judy's checkered cab died. She drives a maroon van now.

Oh no! That's terrible.....the Checker was part of the Cedar Key experience.
Anyone recall riding with the old man (Judy's dad?)? When the back was full you could sit in the front seat, but only if his dog liked you.

Oh no! That's terrible.....the Checker was part of the Cedar Key experience.
Anyone recall riding with the old man (Judy's dad?)? When the back was full you could sit in the front seat, but only if his dog liked you.

The first time I went to Cedar Key in 1995, I got a ride into town in the "Yellow Peril" with Judy's Dad. I also met Judy several times when she picked me up from and dropped me back to the airfield. Cedar Key is one of the most picturesque airfields I have visited.

Back