- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Introductions

We've probably all seen each other's emails in VAF or the RV-List but why don't we all introduce ourselves?

Scott VanArtsdalen
RV-4 N311SV
150 hours
O320-D2A, Catto Prop
Based in Oakdale, Ca (O27)
Old 01-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Introductions

Great idea Scott. Also put your home location in your signature line.

> oldsfolks < is Bob and Lucille Olds , Charleston,Arkansas - formerly of Mount Shasta,Calif. until 1992. We have built our second RV-4 ( 150 HP,Pacesetter wood prop, inverted fuel & oil systems, day/night VFR ) and first flight was March,2003. It now has 61 hours and is sitting in the hangar on our farm , waiting for the FAA to clear a special issuance medical for Bob.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
Charleston,Arkansas
Real Aviators Fly Taildraggers
Old 01-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Introductions

I haven't posted in the other RV lists, but this seems like a good time to introduce myself as a fellow RV-4er. My plane was just recently completed (3-29-04) after ...ahh... about 15 years of building. (Kind of embarrassing, but what can I say.) I currently have about 120 hours on it. It is powered by an O-360-A1A and I just recently switched from a fixed pitch Sensenich (72 dia x 86 pitch) to a Whirlwind 151 constant speed prop. (for a net 14 lb weight savings). The plane is based at Hicks Field in Ft Worth (T67) in a hanger with 3 other RVs.
From a personal perspective, I am an engineer at Lockheed Martin, and a single Dad.
Hopefully I will be getting to know a few of you in the future, and maybe fly with you.

Andy Duff
RV-4 N360AD
Old 01-02-2005, 07:50 PM

Ha! You slacker! I finished my -4 in ONLY 14 years!

I also have a Sensenich F/P prop, what do you think of your change to the Whirlwind?

Jeff
KFNL Colorado
"Toucan" N605RV
Old 01-02-2005, 08:02 PM

I loved my Sensenich. It was a great compromise between cruise and climb...but it was still a compromise. There are lots of ways to get fun out of these aircraft, and take-off and climb performance is certainly one of them. The climb is phenomenal! It's also great to be able to push the throttle up without worrying about exceeding the redline. I have the older "long" style cowling, and the "short" gear. So I needed a prop with an extended hub, and I really didn't want anything longer than the 72" prop I had. The Whirlwind 151 is available in extended hub at the same price as the compact, and at 68" diameter, the extra ground clearance doesn't hurt.
I have climb and cruise performance documented for my Sensenich, and hope to get the same data soon for comparison on the Whirlwind. When I get it, I will post. Oh yeah, one other thing, the smoothness of this prop is unbelievable.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Prop me up!

Andy, Scott;

I have probably flown more different props on RV's than anybody, for what reason I can't recall...ha! Anyway, I have been flying my neighbors 200HP MT3 blade RV8 alot lately giving me some great data. First, if you are a short strip guy(mine is 980' long) the 200HP RV8 gets in and out of my strip like a Super Cub. On approach, the MT 3 blade at idle acts like an airbrake allowing very impressive descent rates over obstacles and air braking on rollout as well. It is extremely smooth, even compared to my Catto Composite 2 blade on "The Bandit", my 150HP RV4. Takeoff is brisk and uses exactly half the distance (300') of my RV4. Speed and economy are also optimized since you can dial the RPM's back and GPH. The MT may be slightly slower than the blended blade Hartzell by Van's recent comparison, but smoothness and aerobatics are high on my list. In my neighbor's 200HP RV8 alongside a 150HP RV8 with a Hartzell, 23 squared for both of us yielded 157 knots, identical speed! (a tribute to Van's designs). You can go faster in RV's but fuel burn is the cost.
So what is my point? If you need all around performance and have the money, buy a composite C/S prop, period. I think both the MT and Whirlwind are great products. MT has their distributorship and shop in FL and Whirlwind is in CA if you add logistics to the equation.
As far as the Sensy 70CM goes, mine lasted on my RV4 one week. I didn't like the harmonic vibrations, poor aerobatic capability, poor short field capability and weight so I sold it. If you go FP, call Craig Catto or Gary Hertzler, they make the two best FP wood/composite props I have tried.

Good Luck!
Rob Ray

Last edited by Rob Ray : 01-03-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 PM

Great points Rob. My Sensenich comment was made based on a datapoint of one. I felt like the prop balanced the trade between climb and cruise performance pretty well but it definitely had some drawbacks as well. Some of my amazement with the 3 blade Whirlwind 151's smoothness may be based on the fact that the Sensenich was somewhat rough. There certainly were some harmonic vibrations at certain rpms. Also, with the 4" extension, bolts and spinner, that prop weighed a touch over 48 lbs!
So far, I'm having a blast with the Whirlwind, even though I've only got about 5 hours on it. But like you said, cost is a factor....and a big one. I had to sell my motorcycle to buy it (and the governor).
Cool that you have access to other planes...and friends that trust you with them. Don't know most of the folks flying these planes yet, but sounds like you have plenty of flying experience. Maybe see you at a fly-in sometime.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I wanna make sure everyone knows who Smokey is.... He sent me this a while back:

click to enlarge

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 02-03-2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Replaced large image w/thumbnail.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:43 PM

I am new to the RV world. I just picked up an RV4 kit which has been around for a long time (#1669) with only the tailfeathers done plus fuel tanks. I will finish it in a lot less time than it was stored. I have experience building 3 Sonex's, one of which I am presently flying.

Tom Zelie
Orchard Park, Ny
Old 01-04-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Introductions

I'm Gary Voth and I fly an RV4 N95HD built by Herman Deirks.
I live in Cleburne TX and keep the plane at a grass strip in Godley TX
Love the RV4 160HP withe Sensensich FP metal Anyone else aroune here interested in Alaska nest summer?