What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Development of the RV-12

admin

...from http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-12int.htm

From the RVator. Second Issue, 2005 posted 04/26/05

Now that the RV-10 is well launched and Van?s private-project RV-11 is slowly, slowly wending its way toward flying, it?s time think about what, exactly, comes next.
Well, "exactly" -- we don?t know yet ourselves. But we?re on the way to finding out.

Given the impetus of steadily rising fuel prices (auto diesel in Oregon is currently $2.65/gallon? or the same as 100LL at the local FBO. Go figure.) and the potential new market to pilots licensed in the Light Sport category, it seemed time to pursue the concept of a lighter, simpler, and slightly less expensive airplane. The idea has been around for a long time, given Van?s penchant for light airplanes that perform well on modest power. Several years ago, back when we were in North Plains, he carved a model of such an airplane that?s still on his desk. It?s kinda cute.

WHAT WE?RE DOING NOW.

We are now in the earliest stages of building a "proof-of-concept" airplane known, if you can believe it, as the RV-12. It bears a strong resemblance to Van?s model. It?s an all metal side-by-side airplane with a low wing. Cabin room will be comparable to the RV-7/9. It uses a tricycle landing gear and has a 100 hp Rotax 912S for power. Fuel is stored in a fuselage tank aft of the occupants. Our construction thoughts at the moment center around pulled rivets rather than driven rivets.

We are trying to achieve a 550 lb payload ? this equates to two 190 lb people, 120 lbs of fuel and 50 lbs of baggage. If you subtract this payload from the maximum 1320 lb gross weight dictated by Light Sport regulations, you can see that the empty weight of the airplane must be around 750 lbs to allow for the inevitable creep or miscalculation.

Naturally, we want an airplane that continues our tradition of "Total Performance" by possessing good handling qualities and good value. Actual performance is more or less defined by the rules of the Light Sport Category:
  • Maximum takeoff weight: 1,320 lbs (599 kg.)
  • Maximum stall speed (clean, unflapped): 51 mph (45 knots)
  • Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power:
    138 mph (120 knots)
  • Two-place maximum (pilot and one passenger)
  • Single, non-turbine engine
  • Fixed or ground adjustable propeller
  • Fixed landing gear
As this is written, a basic design study is under way and a wooden cabin mockup is under construction. We will proceed with the usual back-and-forth between the design staff and the prototype shop and eventually (no, we don?t know when) build a flying "proof-of-concept" airplane. Which will be exactly that ? an airplane to test our ideas and see if they do what we hope and expect. It is a working tool, not a finished product.

WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS

Depending on what we learn from this airplane, we may decide to proceed with a kit airplane. The most probable first step would be a kit similar to our current "49%" kits. Finished airplanes would be registered in the current Experimental category. (If the airplane meets the performance standards for an LSA airplane, it can be flown by anyone holding a Light Sport pilot?s license, no matter what category it is registered in.)

After that, we may consider a Special LSA kit. This category allows kits to be completed to far more than 49%, which sounds attractive. But the flip side is that no modifications or variations from the plans are permitted. Every example must be built to the manufacturer?s compliance standard.

The possibility of a fly-away airplane (permitted by the standards of the category) is so remote that we can?t even discuss it at this time.

WHY ARE WE TELLING YOU THIS?

We live in an internet age, which means we have almost instant access to information. Some of it is even true. We?ve already seen some wildly inaccurate speculation about our next project and we?d like to head it off before it takes permanent root somewhere out there in cyberspace. We will keep you informed through the RVator and our website about the progress of the RV-12, and we?d welcome your written or emailed thoughts on the concept. We can?t answer questions about the RV-12, either on the phone or in any written format. Not only would that take time (something we barely have enough of in a normal workday) but, at this point, we don?t have the solid answers customers have a right to expect.

As they say?watch this space.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSA is Light Sport Aircraft...

Captain John,

There are some older pilots who cannot get a third-class medical anymore due to health reasons and FAA regs. The light sport aircraft with its modest performance and limited flight characteristics allows those who don't or can't get a regular private pilot license (PPL) to have fun in the air as we all do in our "regular certified and experimental" airplanes. There has been plenty of press coverage on this issue at EAA and AOPA web sites.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ

Actually if you have lost your license due to medical reasons you still cannot fly in the LSA category. You have to quit flying before you lose your medical.

Good move

I think this was a good move on Van's part. I hope the LSA category takes off and I hope he sells a bunch of RV-12 kits and makes a ton of money. There are lots of guys on my field who just gave up because they knew they couldn't pass their medical and they didn't want to fly ultralights. Hopefully this will breathe new life into those guys and into aviation in general.

Personally, I would like to see Van resurrect the four-place high-wing design that he briefly contemplated while exploring possibilities for the RV10. Such an RV would combine the handling and reliability of an RV with the versatility of a high-wing (floats, skiis, back-country, etc.). A long-shot, but as a future RV builder, one can always hope.

Cheers,
Greg.

Jerry, yah... I know...

I agree... I think it is a great business decision. I also think that should I somehow fall into the category of pilots who are forced into (or prefer) LSA, I would build one.

Lemme just say, I am glad to be building a -7!

...and I hope to live long enough to enjoy it for all it has to offer!

I am guessing that I will be a repeat offender, anyways.

Maybe the RV-15 will be next for me?

You know, the high wing LSA Float plane one!?!

:D CJ

RV-12 Thoughts

Hi, I'm a nubie, but I would like to make a comment here. LSA isn't just for "old guys" I'm 47 but I fall into one of the small group of people that the FAA will never give a medical to because of an exsisting condition. Now, I could get a 3rd class medical by just not mentioning my situation to the doctor when I went to see him - but thats cheating. As far as the plane is concerned I have bugged the guys at Vans for over a year so far and hopefully, I'm still #1 one the waiting list. There is going to be a huge market for this type of aircraft in the near future as the current crop of pilots gets to old for there exsisting planes and the next group refuses to spend a hundred grand for something that sits too much because they can't afford fly it. Except for the usual few guys with tons of money, LSA is the future- we should embrace it and welcome it. I belive it will be the only thing that keeps many of our airports open.
Bruce

RV-12 is a good thing

Even though I am a fan of the 7 I am glad Van is
looking into the LSA market. Several issues are in
his favor.

1.) Looks like most companies are overshooting a
reasonable price point for LSA. Van is the best
price/performance out there and I believe they will
significantly undercut the competition. Think cost of
full size SUV instead of a Hummer H1 for a mostly
prebuilt (past QB stage)w/FWF.

2.) Since no one is going to have top speed braggin
rights the key will be usable speed envelope. If they
can keep the 4:1 ratio fast to stall, they will be in good shape.
Lower is better. Maybe "optional" wheel fairings for
higher top end, I don't know how the rules read.

3. I would like a sliding canopy ala tiger that can open
in flight. Air loads should be much less at the LSA
speeds.

4. I would rethink the trike only option. I know TW
sales are lower but if the stall speed is ~35 mph it
would be a great first TW bird to learn in. I like the
sportsman reconfigurable gear, change from trike to TW
in a few hours. People will probably never do it but
it is a marketing angle.

5. How about folding wings like a Hellcat? LSA (all)
pilots are looking to lower costs, if I can squeeze
into my friends T hangar next to his RV-7 we both win.
Needs to be ~10 min pre/post flight procedure. It's
not acro capable so carry through loads do not need to
be as robust.

6. I think the wing is going to be the thing. It may
be more complex to do a wider speed range and if
folding as above. Maybe the wing is QB only.

Trying to get the shop set up
for building a 7, maybe this Osh. is the year. Looking at LSA for when I am an Old(er) Pilot

John Kelley

Not just for LSA people

Heck I'm glad to see this and I'm 23 years old with a valid medical (issued a week ago) working on a full PPL. I'm not planning on starting a build for a few more years, but I've been doing quite a bit of research. Before I read this I had pretty much decided on either a Sonex or a Zodiac XL. The RV's are nice but I just don't think I could afford to build one. This RV though seems like I could get the best of both worlds: quality of the RV materials/design with the lower cost offered by being able to use engines in the 100hp range. I don't even care about the LSA part, I just like that this kit will be able to be completed for less money in the end. For someone on a more limited budget that's a great help.

Be very careful when comparing prices of Van's kits to competiters. Many of the other kits on the market sound less expensive until you find out what is NOT included. Many of these kit manufacturers sell you a kit fairly cheap, then hit you with "options" like wheels & brakes, engine mounts, cowlings, spinners, wheel pants, etc. I have built several of these kits and found that by the time you get a flyable aircraft you have spent just about what you would have on an RV, and you end up with...well, lets just say..NOT AN RV!
Mel...DAR

Rv-11

The RV-11 motorglider is the one that I'm looking forward to seeing more details on. I might have to build one after the RV-7 is done.

MG... I agree with Mel 100%...

I looked into Zodiac.. all in all, the airframe is more expensive than RV.. and performance is.. well... let's not go there.. :)

Now, this is pure speculation, but I do think that the LSA RV kit will be quite a bit less than say a 7 or a 9... I'm gonna guess closer to rv-3 or rv-4 kit price.. of course, just a wild guess..

and if it turns out like every other rv.. well, you'd have a winner .. no doubt.

Great News But. . .

I am glad to see a push toward the LSA, its great to seek business in this exploding sector. Glad to see private aviation brought to a large sector of the population of pilots.

I however, was hoping for an advanced tandem aircraft in the vain of the RV4/8, thought a -12 was the perfect place for "my airplane."

I would like to see a slightly larger fuselage, with a slightly more aerodynamic canopy. Somthing that looks similar to the rocket, where the aft section blends into the fuselage. Also a larger cockpit/cabin would allow for more room for an IFR/EFIS panel, as well as more cargo room.

A platform that would be set up for the 540/550 engine. Speed in the range of 220-230 kts. Finally, I would like to see retractible tri-cycle gear. Something on the order of a mini-T34.

I know this doesn't exactly fit into the Van's affordablity factor, but, I think they ventured out of that space in the market with the -10. I also realize that some Van's pureist will flame me for desiring a tri-cycle/retract.

If I were to build today, it would most likely be an -8 or an F1 Rocket. But can't do that due to life getting in the way. Maybe by the time I can actually afford to build, they will have it for me? BTW, I don't do fast glass. . .

Don't shoot the messenger, I am just voicing what I would like to have someday, thought this might be a good place to do it.

Have a great day!

You can afford to build the others?

MGMorden said:
Heck I'm glad to see this and I'm 23 years old with a valid medical (issued a week ago) working on a full PPL. I'm not planning on starting a build for a few more years, but I've been doing quite a bit of research. Before I read this I had pretty much decided on either a Sonex or a Zodiac XL. The RV's are nice but I just don't think I could afford to build one. This RV though seems like I could get the best of both worlds: quality of the RV materials/design with the lower cost offered by being able to use engines in the 100hp range. I don't even care about the LSA part, I just like that this kit will be able to be completed for less money in the end. For someone on a more limited budget that's a great help.

Prices taken from each website...
$13,895.00 for a Sonex Kit

$15,890.00 for a Zodiac XL Kit

$13,710 for a RV-4

Sure, you may have to use a larger (not necessarily more expensive) engine. The Sonex and Zodiac pilots can fly 180mph :eek: but the -4 could do it inverted :cool: and they could only dream of 200+mph :eek: .

Can you really afford to build anything less?

Total Performance :D

Rat

Radomir said:
Now, this is pure speculation, but I do think that the LSA RV kit will be quite a bit less than say a 7 or a 9... I'm gonna guess closer to rv-3 or rv-4 kit price.. of course, just a wild guess..

and if it turns out like every other rv.. well, you'd have a winner .. no doubt.

It would be great if priced as low as a -3 or -4 but I expect it to be right in line with a -9.

The reason being is that it will take about the same amount of aluminum as a -9 and I THINK pull rivets cost more than driven rivets. And don't forget Van has to cover his engineering and tooling costs.

The savings might be in the engine compartment but as we all know, engine costs are all over the place, even for Lycoming's.

(I'm still wishing Van would take the -9 wing and tail and design a high wing bush plane! Maybe that will be the RV-13.)

Last edited:
I expect it to be right in line with a -9.

Got to go will Bill on this one. When looking at building a few years ago I looked at the Sonex and Zodiac, thinking they would be easier and cheaper to build. I found out after talking with several builders that it takes about 40-50K to put an airplane in the air, no matter how fast it is. Yes you can save quite a bit if you have the ability to build up your own engine and are really tight on instruments and avionics. With the LSA planes the engines are actually going to be a bit costly. In order to be an actually LSA plane you have to run the designer's engine choice, with the RV12 that will be the 912S. That's not a cheap engine to buy. Yes a new Lycoming costs more but the option for a used or build it yourself engine isn't really there.

All that being said, I really think there is a future in the Vans LSA plane. I could stay busy for the next several years building RV12's for the older guys just at my airport. I've giving several guys that are about to lose their medical rides in my 9A. When I told them Vans was going to build a LSA they were ready to have one built today.

Also got to go with Bill on the high wing RV. I never really understood this one until I started flying my RV9A into dirt strips. I can get in and out no problem. I just have to check my main wheel fairings every time I land. It sounds like I rippped them off every time. And the bushes scratch up the bottom of the wings. :eek:

As one of the few DARs approved for LSA I can elaborate a little here. If you notice on Van's webpage, the RV-12 will be offered as a 49% kit. This means that it can be certified as amateur-built or LSA. If certified as amateur-built, you would NOT have to comply with the ASTM standards and may use any engine of your choosing, but it can still be flown by a light sport pilot as long as it still meets the flight limitations of the light sport rule. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways but IMHO the amateur-built catagory has more freedom.
Mel...DAR

RV12 costs

A friend of mine plans built a Zenith 601HDS for 7700.00 with a VW eng. now, I understand we are not comparing apples to apples but, Zenith aircraft kits can be flying with cheap motors for less than 30,000. As far as being similar to the 9A, it may look something like it, but that's where it will end - the airframe must be 200 lbs lighter to function as a LSA with enough payload for 2 "modern" adults(200 ea) and a little baggage with full fuel and stay under 1320 Lbs! So, this will require a totally new airframe from the ground up that is MUCH less overbuilt than Vans present designs

The way I see it, Vans will have a reaL problem meeting LSA criteria, partly with weight limitations, but more so with the speed limit. The designs are just too efficient :) unless some way can be figured out to incorporate a speed brake somewhere.

iluv2fly said:
Actually if you have lost your license due to medical reasons you still cannot fly in the LSA category. You have to quit flying before you lose your medical.
One cannot lose one's certificate for medical reasons. One can only lose their medical certificate. But I think what you're saying is that if you have an official medical revocation on file, you can't fly. True.

You can fly with your driver's license as your medical IF you also get a special waiver from the FAA. The problem is, we don't know what that entails because it hasn't been developed yet.

Of course, you can't fly at night under either of these scenarios.

But I imagine a few older folks also never got their medical renewed precisely because they figured it wouldn't be renewed. I guess they could fly under the new rules.

Me? I really don't want people up there with me who have only 5 hours of solo time and 20 hours of instruction.

I'm all for improving the industry, but ...

svanarts said:
There are lots of guys on my field who just gave up because they knew they couldn't pass their medical and they didn't want to fly ultralights. Hopefully this will breathe new life into those guys and into aviation in general.
Legally, however, those folks can't fly under LSA either. But since they don't have a rejection file, they can fly under their driver's license and pretend they didn't know they couldn't pass their medical.

Me? I really don't want people up there with me who have only 5 hours of solo time and 20 hours of instruction.

I'm all for improving the industry, but ...

Strictly as a point of interest, but, I don't mind the students out there now. In many cases their skills are much better than most of the guys flying 5 hours a year 'just to stay current'!

30 years ago the "NORM" was 8 - 12 hours of dual and then you soloed. By 5 hours of solo you only had an additional 5 hours of dual and you were working on off home field solo practice for 5 - 7 hours in anticipation of your cross country work.

Many, if not most student pilots of that era got their tickets in 40 - 45 hours. I was a 25 hour student pilot flying solo out of Midway airport in Chicago in order to get to the practice area, as well as to outlying airports to practice T&G's since every touchdown at MDW cost hard cash (yeah, Daley's old man was no friend of aviation either!). I had to share the airspace at MDW with regularly scheduled American Airlines 737's. And I was by no means special. No, I never ventured too close to ORD, and while we didn't have Class B airspace back then, we did have TCA's!

While it's true that there is more going on these days, I suspect that much of the increase in overall time relates to tort law rather than "ALL" the new things to learn.

The rationale for the sport pilot certificate is the reduced requirements due to the reduced privleges and limited operations. While this may be true, it will still come down to the CFI being willing to sign off a student before the current "belt and suspenders" approach to covering their a$$es from potential lawsuits. Please, no flames invited, I fully understand the need to CYA and your families future. I'd do the same!

But I don't see how limiting a student to an LSA, and only 1 passenger, and no night flying will have much of an effect on when a CFI solos a student, or a major amount of time spent finishing up. I hope I'm wrong, but.......

Dave

Last edited:
Speed concerns?

It was posted above that the RV-12 will not be able to easily adapt to the speed requirements of LSA. If the need is to go slower than I am all for a slightly more spacious cabin if it doesn't add too much weight. Van is noted for getting the most "performance" out of his airframes. Let's face it, for most of us that means speed. With speed not being the main objective, I would opt for as much comfort as possible in a reasonably sized cockpit. I am hoping he continues with this past "proof of concept" stage. Even without the medical limitations there are many of us who love the Van's designs but can't afford the cost or time to build the current RVs.

Joe Manning
Fly Safe!

Last edited:
ddurakovich said:
While it's true that there is more going on these days, I suspect that much of the increase in overall time relates to tort law rather than "ALL" the new things to learn.
I suppose. I don't know. I don't think I'm the stupidest pilot in America, but I was nowhere near ready to have my certificate at 20 hours. Of course, the LSA planes might be simpler to fly.

And, it's true I've met some high-time boneheads in the pattern (g)

Speed is not really a problem, all you do is hang a big, fat wing on any airplane and it will fly much slower. The "problem" with Vans current designs is, they are built like mini fighter planes ( lots of ribs, braces, ect). If you look at the current LSA designs, they have almost no bracing or reinforcement and use the skin for all the airframe rigiditiy. I really would love to buy a RV12 kit, but if you think about it for awhile, if you take a RV9A and strip out all the supports to get rid of all the weight, you end up with somthing that looks alot like a 601XL. I would also have to agree with the other gentelmen that said it will be priced like a RV9A, you must pay for R&D before you do anything else. Lastly, I have to tell you I don't agree with using a Rotax, either a jabaru or my favorite, the corvair is a much better choice, IMHO. :D

Hopefully a heck of a lot better than a Zodiac

elfiero said:
.. if you think about it for awhile, if you take a RV9A and strip out all the supports to get rid of all the weight, you end up with somthing that looks alot like a 601XL.

Yeah, it might look a little like a Zodiac, but maybe it wouldn't have all the Zodiac's negatives -- like cables instead of pushrods, poorly balanced controls, hingeless non-frieze ailerons that don't control adverse yaw, weird center-stick, steerable nosegear, tip-up canopy, no roll bar, no baggage space, shallow panel, all-flying rudder, fuselage fuel tank, ...

Yes, I know Van's talking about a rear-mounted fuselage tank, but I'm hoping he comes to his senses on that one. That's a deal breaker for me.

My #1 request would be for a removable canopy. What's the point of "low and slow" if you can't get your hair in the wind?

I'm also hoping for a tailwheel option and a flush rivet option. And a Continental O-200 instead of that Rotax.

I really like RVs and I really don't want to sound like an add for Zenith but,
1. The 601XL doesn't have a fuselage fuel tank- they are in the wings.
2. The panel is the same depth as the two seat RVs (it will handle a 530).
3. You have the option of putting hinges on the alerons (many are now being built that way).
4. Dual sticks is an option.
5. O200 continentals are one of the "standard" engine options.
6. With the conti, jabaru 3300, or Lyc 235, the plane will cruise at about 145 mph unless you put a really "flat" prop on it.
7. If you want, you can flush rivit the whole thing together. I asked chris Heinz and he said " if you like to pound rivits, knock yourself out, it'll only gain you about 3 mph".
I think Vans has the finest engineering group in the experimental marketplace but, they will have their work cut out if they are going to make a plane that will be measurably different or better and keep it under 20 grand for the "complete kit". This is just one mans opinion.

Last edited:
IMHO, the best way for Vans to get into the sport pilot market will be to leave off the wings and horizontal stabalizer on a RV-3 and replace them with an overhead, free-wheeling rotor... :p

Can't fly at night?

Bob Collins said:
Of course, you can't fly at night under either of these scenarios.

Why not?

It is my understanding a person with a "Sport Pilot" license cannot fly in class B airspace (certain exceptions apply). However, if you hold a PPL and choose to fly under sport pilot rules you can then fly in class B airspace because you actually have a PPL along with the training associated with it.

Having said that, it begs the question. Why can't a person with a PPL flying under "Sport Pilot" rules fly at night? (In a properly equipped LSA of course.)

Rat

ddurakovich said:
30 years ago the "NORM" was 8 - 12 hours of dual and then you soloed. By 5 hours of solo you only had an additional 5 hours of dual and you were working on off home field solo practice for 5 - 7 hours in anticipation of your cross country work.

I agree Dave, and I think if you were too look around at the guys learning to fly with their friends and family doing the instruction, simply because they want to share the joy of flying, you may find students that still solo in 8-12 hours. But their (the instructors) motives are different.

ddurakovich said:
The rationale for the sport pilot certificate is the reduced requirements due to the reduced privleges and limited operations. While this may be true, it will still come down to the CFI being willing to sign off a student before the current "belt and suspenders" approach to covering their a$$es from potential lawsuits. Please, no flames invited, I fully understand the need to CYA and your families future. I'd do the same!

But I don't see how limiting a student to an LSA, and only 1 passenger, and no night flying will have much of an effect on when a CFI solos a student, or a major amount of time spent finishing up. I hope I'm wrong, but.......

Dave

There is an additional reason you will not see pilots getting there license in 20 hours either. Some flight schools and instructors would never let a student go at only 20 hours because there is still money to be made. As long as the student is willing to pay they will remain a student. Not all of the schools and instructors are like this, but some are.

The USAF Academy's "Soar For All" program solos nearly 1,000 cadets a year and it only takes the average student 12 sorties to solo. The school isn't interested in collecting payments either.

Rat

My WAG about the -12 (Long)

I am a noob to this forum. I have been following the sport pilot rule closely for years. I also have some speculation about the -12. We'll see

1. You can fly a Light Sport pilot plane (with proper equipment) at night with a PPL. You can also fly IFR in a Light Sport plane with proper equipement and PPL with an IFR endorsement.

2. You can fly in class B airspace with a logbook endorsement showing ground and flight training for the use of class B space. This is the same requirement for flight in to any controlled airspace with a sport pilot license.

2. The thing that I cannot find documentation on is if you are allowed to fly over 10K feet in a light sport plane if you have a PPL. You are not allowed over 10K feet with just the sport pilot. this is a pain for crossing the Rockies.

3. It is difficult to compare a Van's kit to any Zenith kit. The Zenith kit will take about 1/3 to 1/2 the time to build of any Van's standard kit. Anything Van currently builds will vastly outperform any current Zenith kit in nearly all flight parameters with the exception of the Zenith 801, which is not comparable with anything Van builds.

4. I would surmise that the reason Van is going with the pulled rivets is the time savings during build since drag is not an issue at sport pilot speeds. You need roughly double the number of pulled rivets vs driven, but it still takes less time, and no partner to buck. You also don't have to be a contortionist to get to the rivet backs, as you don't need to get to the rivet backs.

5. I would bet that if Van actually builds the kit, it will cost about the same as the standard 8/9 series of kits. Metal costs, but so does light weight I would also guess that the build time will be <400 hours. That build time guess is if he goes with CNC pre-punched parts that don't need drilling.

6. I also don't understand the fuselage, rather than wing fuel tank plan. I'd rather have my gas in the wings too.

7. A lot of sacrafices have to be made to save weight. I'm not sure if pushrods vs cables will be one of them.

8. I think the thing Van can do that will make his plane different from the Zodiac is to go to matched hole CNC drilled panels and parts. I want to drop a set of clecos in, drop in the pulled rivets, use the pneumatic rivet puller, and be done. I don't want to spend 200-300 hours drilling, deburring, etc, not to mention the parts I will have to replace if I drill them wrong. Not that any of us would do that...

9. You're probably not getting a folding wing. That adds significant weight. I also don't think Van is big on anything that could compromise the strength of the wing in what needs to be a very light design.

8. My guess is that Van's plan will get in to the air with very basic insturments, and a new engine for around 40K (todays dollars) with about 1/4 (or possibly less) the build time of the current standard RV kits. This would be with a new engine.

9. It will be fun to see who's speculations are nearest the mark over the next year or so. I have been following Van for years, but don't have 1800 hours for the standard kit, or 50-60K (Vans estimates) to go the quick build route. I live about 10 miles from Van, and used to be nearer the factory before he moved it to Aurora (about a 20 minute drive).

10. The idea of 5 gallons per hour of mogas in an engine designed for it sounds pretty good right now. I want something inexpensive to build AND fly.
200 MPH is nice if you really have to get somewhere. $10 an hour at full throttle for gas sounds pretty good if you DON'T have somewhere to get.

11. I believe that the decision of Rotax 912 was made based on the fact it has been used in certified aircraft and has a longer history than the Aussie sixes (Jabaru). I personally would not fly with either an auto conversion, or a two stroke. I know of too many cooling issues, electrical issues, and forced landings with both.

Feel free to flame me on the last if you feel the need. I KNOW Van would agree with me on conversions/two strokes. I have heard him mention it, and I believe that he has written somewhere on his website about not wanting to use auto engines in the planes he flys.

Last edited:
Whacked said:
2. The thing that I cannot find documentation on is if you are allowed to fly over 10K feet in a light sport plane if you have a PPL. You are not allowed over 10K feet with just the sport pilot. this is a pain for crossing the Rockies.

You can do anything with a "PPL" (Private Pilot License) in a LSA aircraft that you can do in any other aircraft. Obviously, the plane has to be capable and might need special certifications for what you want it to do. But there is nothing in the rule that prevents an Light Sport Aircraft from being capable of flight above 10K or at night or of being certified for IFR or even Aerobatics. You just can't operate it in those modes without a medical.

And that's the beauty of building an experimental LSA. A Sport Pilot can fly anything that fits the category limits: gross < 1320, stall < 51 mph, max speed < 138 mph, 2-place, fixed gear, fixed prop. So you build a standard experimental with whatever other capabilities you want that fits in that range. Just make sure you set the gross to 1320 and max speed 138 mph. When the day comes that you're worried about your blood pressure or something, you just quit asking for a medical, limit yourself to Sport Pilot rules and become a "Sport Pilot".

jonbakerok said:
Just make sure you set the gross to 1320 and max speed 138 mph. When the day comes that you're worried about your blood pressure or something, you just quit asking for a medical, limit yourself to Sport Pilot rules and become a "Sport Pilot".
Do you really need to do that? Or can you just revise the operating limitation (with an appropriate change in the airworthiness certificate if needed) when that time comes?

Seems to me that going to a "CLIMB" prop alone could lose you 8 - 10 knots if done right!

Nope, that won't work. The rule specifically states that to be operated as LSA the aircraft must have been ORIGINALLY AND CONTINUALLY certificated to meet the LSA "specs". This was brought up because some of the older Ercoupes originally met the rule but had had a gross weight increase. They can not be "recertificated" at the reduced gross weight.
Mel...LSADAR

I talked to the EAA and the FAA, and they both said: what we don't want is someone trying to make a RV9 fit the LSA rules- we will not certify it! I felt that was pretty clear.

Speculating a bit

I think Van will stay close to his current true, tried and tested designs. I'm sure it will look like an RV and all other RV's before it. And it will be really succesful based on all the success of the other RV models before it..

Since everyone is speculating, allow me to speculate a bit too...wouldn't it be nice if Van's did something really spectacular, and turn heads. I like what these guys (Czech Aircraft Works CZAW) did with LSA and it is called a Parrot. It is ?glass? shape in real metal.

Vans has the kit builders reputation :D If they can make a beautiful modern looking 'glass' shape plane out of metal like this one it will be an absolute show stopper.:eek:
200507parrot1.jpg

PR%20222.jpg

I'm waiting in anticipation to see what will happen,
In the mean time it is back to pounding those rivets on my RV7.

Kind Regards
Rudi

For all of you who are proposing Continental and Corvair engines for LSA; I am now in the process of building a bi-plane that just happens to fall into the LSA limitations. One of my main problems is engine weight. The Rotax 912 weighs in at 130#. The Continentals and Corvairs end up at well over 200# installed weight. A reduction drive VW will get you around 180#. Engine weight makes W&B pretty critical on an airplane where total weight is around 800#.
Mel...DAR

Engine weight

Mel,
Have you looked at any other alternatives such as the Jabiru?
Roger Robertson
Waiting for a longwing version of the RV-9

Actually I think I have looked at everything. The Jabiru has 2 basic problems for my case. 1/ $14,000. 2/ It is a direct-drive engine that turns 3300 rpm. With my hi-drag, slow bi-plane I need to turn a big prop rather slowly. A 2180cc VW with a 1.6:1 redrive will give me about 103 hp at a low prop rpm. Another option that I'm looking at is the HogAir, but I'll have to see it run on an airframe. I can't imagine a V-twin running smoothly enough for an airplane.
Mel...DAR

The Suzuki swift 1300 DOHC engines put out 90-100 hp and weigh in at 175-190 lbs. depending on redrive and exhaust.

light sport engine weight,

Mel, I did alot of research on Lightsport (I am an insulin dependant diabetic 34 years now) I was looking to buy or build a 601xl, before sport even finalized, although I have been in love with the rv9a from the start (good thing I got the medical) anyway I have most of the parts for the corvair and the manual from william to make it work.. next to the tail kit for the 601xl I never started.. In fact I flew to Chec Republic "progue" and rode in a taxi three hours, to the chips skyshops ,601xl factory (They build them ready to fly very nice sp) anyway after doing all the research on the the motors..corvair, jab, lycom 0235 ect.. ( didn't want a rotax ) after doing anything and everything.. to find something besides the rotax, the planes in that catagory just wouldn't fly like the rotax too much weight up front even though they
work fine , it was just not in the same league pound for pound.. I hated that but its true.. so I am building a RV9A and reading messages here.. :)
and planning a 0320 , I guess it all worked out, maybe my next plane will be a rv12 with a corvair..

Danny..

The Rotec is a great engine. But again it is in the neighborhood of $14,000 and weighs in at 220#.
I think if you investigate you will find that the Suzuki will weigh well over 200# by the time you get redrive, exhaust, radiators, and coolant.
Mel...DAR

Sounds like a mythical engine Mel

Mel

So you want an engine that weights less than 200 lbs, puts out over 100hp and cost less than 5k. I'm sure someone at Oshkosh will take your money and promise you such and engine. Hopefully your plane will run on promises. :D Good luck on finding an engine. What's the plane it's going on, or is it a secret homegrown?

The best thing I've found so far is the redrive VW. I weighs less than 200#, puts out 103 hp, and costs about $6,000 (in kit form). There are quite a few of them flying mostly on WW I replica bi-planes. The airplane is a modified Murphy Renegade bi-plane. Obviously, this is a local, fun airplane, not meant for cross country.
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
Back