Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:25 AM
unfluencer

Default Big Bend, TX (where to camp?)

In a previous thread Larry mentioned that Big Bend (west Texas) would be a great place to aircraft camp.

So, I'd like to try it.

Where are the recommended places to fly into using your RV for aircraft camping and/or hiking with great scenery.

b,
d
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

From the research that I have done so far, it looks like any camping "next to the airplane" will be done in desolate conditions, carry in your own water, don't expect a toilet, forget the electricity, and anywhere you want to go away from your plane will be strictly as far as you can walk...in the desert!

Sounds great to me - I'm in!!

Here is some research I did on Big Bend Ranch State Park - this is apparently a large tract of land that the state took over and designated as a State Park, but haven't done much with beyond that. There is a runway that is apparently in good shape, and wilderness campsites spread around. There is a lodge somewhere in the vicinity of the airstrip, and they told me on the phone that they could come and pick you up - but then you are still just going to be at the lodge, because you'd have no ground transport. I'd be happy to just camp and take day hikes centered on the airstrip. Good winter-time trip.

Park Web Site:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...ig_bend_ranch/

Google Earth Image of the airstrip:

You now know what I know about this one....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 11-27-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Terlingua

You can fly into the dirt strip at Terlingua--decent and smooth and not be too far from a few resources, probably not plane side camping but with a little planning you could get one of the motel operators to pick you up or there is a jeep rental in Study Butte that also would probably come get you.

Terlingua ranch is another option but you will be well remote from jeep rental there.

Awesome flying, riding, hiking, drinking, stargazing area!!!!!!!!!

RV-10 N184KW Bought flying.....
Dallas, Texas
Old 11-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Or if you don't mind the costs, you can visit the Lajitas resort...pricey, but very nice.

Two other couples flew with us to Lajitas in a loose flight of 3. It was about 2 1/2 hrs from Austin.

Resort has its own airport, again very nice paved airport (7500x100)with pickup from the hotel included in the deal. It was $210 per night. We also rented a Suburban for $75 per day, 100 miles included.

If you can't flyin, they also have their own airline which will pick you up in Austin, Dallas for about $400 round trip.

We were able to see most of the area in two days, but 3 or 4 would have been nicer. We enjoyed the marvelous views, very interesting, if not spectacular geology and really good dining overlooking the Rio Grande.

You can check it out at:

http://www.lajitas.com/hometxt.html

Deene.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:12 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default Lajitas

Lajitas is an interesting place, but as you say Deene, it's hardly camping!

And unfortunately, I have a bad taste in my mouth from a visit a few years back....my wife at the time had an older RV (four-wheeled kind) which served us quite well, but was no looker. We new nothing about the "town" of Lajitas when we rolled in, except that we were looking for a place to eat and spend the night. We drove into Lajitas after spending several nights camping up in the Chisos Basin (wonderful spot!), and were virtually sneered at and treated quite poorly at the campground - I guess because the "unit" we were driving didn't cost anywhere near what most of the people there had paid for their generators alone.

I'm pretty civilized, and considered by most to be polite, so it was extremely disquieting to essentially be treated like Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper were in Easy Rider when they rolled into that southern town. As a matter of fact, we frankly felt threatened, and got the heck out of dodge when we were told that the entire "town" was really a resort owned by a single company.

Memo to Lajitas Corporate...some of us have long memories, and I am not inclined to send any of my money your way...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:24 PM
unfluencer

Default Terlingua

Iron,

I was noodling around www.runwayfinder.com and Google Earth a bit ago and gotta say Terlingua looks semi-inviting. Slew Google Earth around to show the relief and look at the varied geology within day-hike distance. From what I can tell it's the closest vertical rock next to a runway. Can we hike up the Christmas Mountains (5,699')? At least it's public and we can carry a LOT of water and food when the RV is converted to cargo mode (pax seat and cushions out).

Big Bend State Park OK too (PVT) but I bet we could get permission.

I hope L.Pardue can chime in with some suggestions sometime - I bet he knows the area better than we ever will. There is what appears to me a dormant volcano inside Mexico a little east of the Chisos Mtns. Too bad...that would be cool to fly around.

Regardless where we end up going I'm really enjoying just looking at the maps, sectionals and web material.

I love mountains and these are so close using Flash. Let's plan this thing on a no-moon weekend so we can take advantage of the stargazing. Why did I sell my 10" Schmidt Cassigrain telescope a few years back? Oh yeah, bought RV stuff....

b,
Krash
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 11-27-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight
...... As a matter of fact, we frankly felt threatened, and got the heck out of dodge when we were told that the entire "town" was really a resort owned by a single company.

Memo to Lajitas Corporate...some of us have long memories, and I am not inclined to send any of my money your way...
WestWorld with a bad attitude!!

Houston
Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo
...I hope L.Pardue can chime in with some suggestions sometime - I bet he knows the area better than we ever will. ...
Unfortunately I don't know it very well. I have made many trips to Marfa and have been south of there maybe three times. I've landed at Lajitas; that has been covered well. http://n5lp.net/Lajitas.htm

I have also landed at Terlingua Ranch (there are two strips that are called Terlingua), which you show in your post Doug. It is a very interesting looking area. When I was there about three years ago, the strip was in sort of marginal condition with a washout near the center. You had to land on the right spots. I recall a C185 driver on one of these forums saying he isn't comfortable landing there. The place has the feel of a low budget motel. There is a shop there that has some tourist trinkets and maybe some simple food.

I think Dr. Wallace, in a post above, is talking about the other Terlingua, which is further south. I haven't been there, but it sounds a bit more promising.

There seem to be a lot of places labeled Private, including, strangely enough, Big Bend State Park.

I'm not real good at working the phones for some of the private places but I will try to make a recon flight down that way soon to at least look at the condition of some of the airports.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I must admit Doug, Terlingua Ranch has always looked like an intriguing destination on the map, and with your oblique view from Google, even more so....Wilderness doesn't bother me, as long as the runway is in good enough conditiono for our wheel pants!

Paul
Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Default Marfa,Alpine,Lajitas trip

I have two different points to say so hang on:
1.) there is a group around Austin called the 100 mph club (cubs, citabrias,ect..)and they take a yearly trip from Central texas to Big Bend. I have seen some pics and think they stay in cabins somewhere. They have a website b/c i have seen it, but can't find it now. (google tailwheel, 100mph club ect...) If you can't find their info and want to talk to them, let me know and I will track one of them down.
NEXT
2.) Big bend area and Lajitas
couple years back I got the wife to agree to a Fly -out Anniversery in the RV(don't ask me how?). We chose to fly from Austin to Marfa and stay at Hotel she knew about where movie "GIANT" was filmed. Was nice and had a 4 star dinner in Marfa(there are couple nice resturants). Had gread homestyle breakfast at some small diner in town the next morning. (Will do it again!) On trip back to Ausitn we decided to fly down to Lajitas for lunch. Like stated before, we thought it was a town, but when we got there, it was a yuppidi yup Resort. I taxied the Gulfstream/RV6A right up there on the ramp beside the Pilatus. They (resort staff) drove us from airport to "town" where we TRIED to get lunch. We were ignored in the main nice restraurant then in the Bar where food was also served. They said we fell in the shift change time, but i spent 8 great college years in the service industry, and i can tell you they did not want to serve us. I will never go back, besides, the burgers were like $19. View was great from restaurant, but the wife was hungry and this stop was my idea, so we booked it to Fredericksburge, got burger there, then home to Austin. I agree with Paul, Don't give them your money. Besides, if you don't play golf I don't know what you would do there? Want to know more, email me.

Big Bend trip i am sure is enough, but Marfa, Alpine, and Ft. Davis are worth a look. If you are trying to include the wife or get her blessing, look these towns up.
Jeff H.
Austin tx