Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Talking Doug's new gyro camera mount

Well I just changed my background from the monthly calendar to Doug's demo picture of Danny King's "Beautiful Doll". I can't wait to see what Doug comes up with for next month's wallpaper. I can see a new career on the horizon here for him, this stuff is really good.
Anybody know what those silver square patches are on the wing tips of "The Beautiful Doll"?
I don't remember seeing them on there at Sun N Fun but then again I was overwhelmed with RV drooling.
NYTOM
Tom Norwood
RV-6A 24058
N822PM (res)
TMX 0-360 FP
Still pounding
Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Default "Doug's new gyro camera mount"

I'm not allowed to reply to this thread? I got a message that I did not have authorization... ?

In any case, the silver things are the access for the long range fuel tanks.

T.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 PM

I tried to reply to the original post as well but it was locked out. Sure is a sweet gyro. They are a little pricey at about $2900 but well worth if you can afford one.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 PM

Beautiful pic's....never saw the tape until it was mentioned....new fangeled technology??? Takes the human "tracking" factor out of the equation?

So Doug jest flys along side and a laser track and aligns his target based on a few small strips of aluminum foil? worth every penny, leave it to a Texan to figure out how to fly and take great photos without lettin of of the reigns
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 PM

I too am jealous of this mount. I do quite a bit of bird photography (as well as the newsletter photos for our EAA chapter) all requiring hand held shooting. The new Nikon VR lenses are great on my D2H, but the gyro mount would be awesome. One thing Doug didn't mention is what he intends to use as a shooting platform. If I knew someone here that would be willing to fly me around with the door taken off a Cessna, I'd be in the same part-time business also.
VAF # 676
Old 09-20-2006, 06:56 PM
unfluencer

Default More on the new toy...

Sorry about the delay in responding...just saw this thread . I shot that out of the back of Ron Grover's 'Hot Stuff' with a standard old Digital Rebel (and the gyro mount of course). Here's a link to a few more from that morning (not at full size): http://www.vansairforce.com/images/A2A/index.html. Picasa kinda muddies up the pic when it resizes it for the gallery - the originals are in (mostly) sharp focus.

Now for the new news.....my new Canon EOS-1 D Mark II N camera body arrived today. I've been saving nickels for a LONG time to buy this baby (and the gyro) and I'm pretty jazzed - I'm also about to start selling some avionics that I don't use <g>. This weekend or early next week I'm hoping to get some more test shots...I have some technology I need to come up to speed on.

The camera, 300mm lens and gyro weigh about 10lbs.

The hope is to be able to do poster size professional RV photography.

• Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 09-20-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 PM

what is the slowest shutter speed you think you could use with your gyro air to air?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
unfluencer

I'd say 1/60th. I found that if I bumped the side of the fuse or touched the canopy or wasn't smooth with the camera I'd introduce a little fuzz into the image. I took 109 pictures and I'd say about 25% were 'keepers'.

Before the mount I'd be lucky if (3) were keepers - out of 100.

It does help, but it's not point and shoot. There is some technique, but nothing that can't be mastered quickly (if I can do it...).

b,
d
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM

Point and shoot is definetly out using a gyro - as well as panning the camera to follow action as the gyro is trying to hold everything steady. Is it true that the mount takes 5-10 minutes to come up to speed? And not that it matters in an aircraft, but how much noise does it make - say in a quiet place like your living room? I'm wondering how useable it would be for wildlife photography...
VAF # 676
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo
Now for the new news.....my new Canon EOS-1 D Mark II N camera body arrived today. I've been saving nickels for a LONG time to buy this baby (and the gyro) and I'm pretty jazzed
Man, you do get all the good toys - congrats! I'm still trying to get all I can out of my 20D. It's a better camera than I will ever be photographer.

Must ... not ... get ... jealous ...

Doug