camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Aircraft Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default La Leona

More noodling.....

La Leona is one of the other strips at Terlingua marked "PVT". Look at these ntoes copied from the Airnav.com listing....Note especially the last one!!!

- MUDDY AFTER RAIN (UNSAFE TO LAND WHEN MUDDY).
- NEAREST AVGAS IS 80 MILES N AT ALPINE, TX.
- SUMMER GROUND SFC TEMPERATURES FREQUENTLY REACH 180 TO 200 DEGREES F. HEAT RESISTANT ACFT TIRES ADVISED.

I'm liking the sound of the hard surfaced runway at the State Park more and more.....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-27-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Terlingua 3TE8

The Terlingua I referenced is the more southwesterly dirt strip in the google map above. It is a private strip owned by Charles Fulcher. We called him from the airnav info and he gave us permission to land with the usual "At your own risk" commentary. He seems like a very nice guy who appreciated the fact we called to get permission. The strip is easily found and in smooth shape all the way as of 2 weeks ago. There are some weeds but they did not cause the 210 any problem. Bring your own tie downs and if you really like the place Mr Fulcher has some self storage warehouses at the north end of the runway----unfortunately they were all taken or we would have left motorcycles out there for a few months----GREAT riding area!!

RV-10 N184KW Bought flying.....
Dallas, Texas
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 AM

I am the 185 driver Larry mentioned, and have posted about this area before...not sure why I can't find it with the search function.

In the old days gone by, the cessna 180/185 club used to go to LaJitas every New Years eve for a flyin. It was a great place, with a nice gravel strip right in town, cheap rooms, restaurant, bar, etc. We would get rowed across the river (into Mexico) for a dollar to eat lunch over there, no border patrol, no customs.

No more. Some rich guy from Austin bought the whole town, poured huge $$$ into it, regular folks not welcome (this about 5 years ago). He said he is building the "Palm Springs of Texas". Now I hear he is going broke. You can fly in for a $14 hamburger if you like.

Terlingua Ranch is a bit primitive. The runway is rough, rocky, sandy, and gets no maintenance that I can detect. I will fly the 185 there but not the RV8. There is camping there, and small, cheap, rundown cabins. And the "Bad Rabbit" cafe.

Terlingua town strip is better, and there are cabins there, I don't know about camping.

Big Bend state park has a nice chip and seal runway (the chips seem kind of sharp edged and abrasive, you wouldn't want to practice touch and gos there), and the lodge is a beautiful old ranch house, with I think 4 bedrooms, that you can rent. You would have to fly out to go anywhere.

There are lots of private strips in the area, but all are a little rough for RVs. The towns are fun to visit though, Marfa, Presidio, Alpine all have good airports and courtesy cars.

Really, the best thing to do in this area is ride motorcycles, which I did last winter. A dual sport bike would be best. Don't miss the Chisos Basin (no airstrip that I know of).

Have fun!

www.lazy8.net/rv8.html

Last edited by Nuisance : 11-28-2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Default Camp by planes vs Not....

So, the question begs of what mission this trip is? I'd LOVE to camp next to the plane with a beautiful mountain view, but it's looking like (from my limited research) that those places don't exist in SW Texas.

So, should the mission be instead fly to the closest place where we can be picked up be a hired van that will take us to a campsite where we can spend a day or two hiking in the most scenic areas?

I mean really.....look at this stuff!

IMHO, if we can't find a place where we can do some serious mountain watching next to the planes, maybe plan B should be to leave the planes somewhere we can trust and then van it to the campsite.
Now, who/where can we trust?
Ah, planning is fun.
b,
dr
Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I agree that camping next the planes sounds problematic. I kind of like Chuck's thoughts on flying into 3TE8 and getting jeeps from Study Butte. Heck, Mr. Fulcher might even let us set up a base camp by the airplanes, and then we take day trips/hikes out. The only advantage to camping next to the planes is not having to pack/repack for backpacking.

I know people who used to "do" Big Bend over the Christmas holidays, and they say you have to have reservations for camping/lodging well in advance. But day trips from a base camp might make that easier.

But bottom line - pick a time/mode/plan, and I'm in!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Wheels needed......

I am not sure that camping right there by the planes would be all that great. It is still a long walk to anywhere worthwhile. You pretty much need a jeep, bike, mc, or something as the distances between "attractions" are substantial. http://www.farflungoutdoorcenter.com/?page=JeepRentals is one local outfitter with good local knowledge and resources---not cheap but few choices.......

The Chisos Mining Co has campsites, motel rooms and cabins and is about 3 miles at most from the airstrip....once again a car or somesuch is somewhat necessary to really explore the area. I was just there for a big dirt bike dual sport ride 2 weeks ago---that is a great way to see the place.

Dallas, Texas
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Big Bend Camping

I was just out camping in Big Bend 2 weeks ago. great weather and fantastic views Take a good Camera..

I drove my jeep out to go on the 4x4 roads in the NP. I went over to Terlingua ranch and had lunch at the small resturant (great hamburger) and checked out the small hotel. Plan on making a flight out with the wife for an overnight stay during the spring. I walked the strip, and it is sand and gravel with a few rough spots, nothing my old Cardinal FG can't handle, will be concerned with the DA with my 160hp, while at the resturant I was told a flight of 8 planes had just left after spending the weekend. The Cook could not tell me the types of aircraft. They do have some camping sights near the runway, but it looks like a gravel pit, would not be as pleseant as the camping sights we had at Rio Grande village.

State park, I have never beenmyself, but after looking at the 100mph clubs web site (that I can no longer find) it looks like a nice group location. Here is a web sight about flying to the state park.

http://www.christophers.net/BBRSP.htm

Lajitas, I flew in about a year ago in a 182, a van took us to the resturant (nice but pricy). this year went to the resturant in the jeep, still pricy but nice views while being served by a friendly waitress. I also remember the old gravel strip downtown before lajitas was discovered by the elite.

I drove through Terlingua (the town), and noticed the strip next to the highway, this is not to far from Far flung adventures, did not notice any camping.

http://www.farflungoutdoorcenter.com/?page=JeepRentals

A jeep or jeeps could be rented and be used to take the parties to camping in the NP. A fun primitave site is the Johnson Ranch on the Rio Grande. This was an early 1920's Army Airfield that was established for border patrol flights. See web site'

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/historycultu...nsonsranch.htm

To bad the old airfield is not open for campers, would be fun.

I saw a red and white 210 parked out all by its lonesome, could it be the one spoken of in an earlier post?

I recall reading that the 100 club would land at a ranch strip east of the NP that had a little resturant called Heath Canyon. Recall that arrangements had to be made in advance (1xs7).

G. W. Moore 68fg C177, saving for an Rv-7 or 8

Last edited by c177tx : 11-28-2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Sounds like.....

you were there the weekend I was. That was likely my buddy's white/red 210. We were on the dual sport ride organized by Trail Riders of Houston. We sent bikes, truck and mechanic out and came in the easy way. It is somewhat necessary to plan a fuel stop coming or going from Dallas. We used Ft Stockton on the way to 3TE8.

Another good activity out there would be an Air Tour.....Alpine Marfa, Ft Davis, Presidio and all over the park area....sounds like a poker run to me....

A good time to check out the BB State park strip and the Heath Canyon operation....??

We had lunch at Terlingua Ranch and overflew the place on the way out---not sure it is RV friendly as discussed above.

I can get a truck sent out there with gear if people want to get stuff to Dallas

Dallas, Texas
Old 11-29-2006, 03:35 AM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawmd82
...Another good activity out there would be an Air Tour.....Alpine Marfa, Ft Davis, Presidio and all over the park area....sounds like a poker run to me....
If something like this was done, Marfa might not be a bad place to camp. There are RV hook-ups on the airport, in fact near the middle of the airport. I'm not sure if they still work or what the financial arrangements are but I would think there should be water at least.

This is kind of a featureless area on its own (Davis Mountains to the north) but by RV it is close to some unbelievable scenic flying. There is also a glider operation on the field and if Burt and Kathy are around they would be thrilled to give people rides/instruction. http://www.flygliders.com/

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 AM

My wife and I make several (3-4) flying trips to the SW Texas area every year. I also have arranged a number of motorcycle tours of the area.

If you are unable to find a suitable place to camp by your plane and decide to go where you can land, rent a vehicle and drive to the scenic areas either Marfa or Alpine are well maintained airports with multiple RWs.

We have typically flown into Alpine vs Marfa--only because it is closer to our home in San Antonio. You can rent anything from a big van to a compact at Alpine Auto Rental. The drive south to the Big Bend area and the National Park is about 80 very scenic miles (if you have an interest in geology you will be stopping a lot) with day hiking available along the way. You can also hike and camp up in the Chisos basin (or stay in cabins or the motel) and enjoy the 7400' elevation and beautiful 100 mile views. Terlingua and the beautiful river road drive are a short distance away as is Big Bend State Park

If you drive north from Alpine about 20 miles you come to Ft Davis (highest town in Texas at 5050' ele) and the Davis Mountains State park. This is our typical destination--especially during San Antonios hot summers. You can camp at the park (mountains/pine trees and cool/cold nights) or stay at the CCC built Indian Mountain Lodge at the park. Many hiking trails in the park and some spectacular views from the highest point in the park. The McDonal Observatory is also about 5 minutes from the park with nightly "star parties"(you can look through some of their telescopes) and the clearest view of the Milky Way I had seen since childhood. If you stay in Ft Davis there are many B&Bs and restored hotels to include the Hotel Limpia -- you can also visit the old (1850s vintage)Fort in town.

Just some additional info to consider--you can probably tell that I love that part of Texas--it is a great get-a-way.

Cheers,
db
RV9a/ECI 0360/James Cowl/Catto Prop/85 hrs. and a permanent SMILE!!!!