What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Us Your RV Hangar Picture

turbo

Well Known Member
Old Hanger...........
a4zj.jpg

This is where ower RV's spend most of their time. The pilots may spend a lot of time there too. Hanger flying with ower fellow pilots is precious time. A common remark is if a hanger is seen open from the air then stop by. I love this hobby and life style.
My boat is finally sold, good. My hanger is 8 years old. Standard size it was bought for $32,000. It took 3 people 7 years to get the county to let us build these hangers. Phase 2 came a few years later. We have 35 units and a list of 50 more who want hangers. There is room on the airport in Stuart FL but we are unable at this time to build more. The value of the hangars has tripled in 8 years. They a Erectatube brand and very well built. Looking forward to seeing your space.:rolleyes:

The New Hangar..New Aircraft....2,000sf end Thangar, 60 foot deep, 42 wide and tall.
Turbo_hangar01a.jpg

Turbo_hangar02a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rosales Hangar

Our hangar was built by R&M Steel and is 80' wide x 45' deep x 19' side walls (23' center). The Bifold is 55' wide so you only have to pull one RV out to get one out. One side of the hangar has a 7' wide x 45' deep mezzanine to put all my stuff. We've even hangared Turbo's RV-6A for several nights. I always tell people that it took 47 years of my life to finally live the dream :D Rosie & Tuppergal

The hangar front door is 20 paces out the back door of the house :D

Rosales_Hangar00.jpg

Rosales_Hangar01.jpg

Rosales_Hangar02.jpg

Rosales_Hangar03.jpg

Rosales_Hangar04.jpg

Last edited:
Our hangar was built by R&M Steel and is 80' wide x 45' deep x 19' side walls (23' center). The Bifold is 55' wide so you only have to pull one RV out to get one out. One side of the hangar has a 7' wide x 45' deep mezzanine to put all my stuff. We've even hangared Turbo's RV-6A for several nights. I always tell people that it took 47 years of my life to finally live the dream :D Rosie & Tuppergal

Great inspiration thread! thanks for rm link

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Quite as Neat and Tidy

The Cambridge Valley Flying Club hangar at Chapin Field (1B8) in upstate NY where my RV6 lives - at least for now.

cvfcwinter0809.jpg

wings3uq1.jpg

Jim Sharkey

Last edited:
Night Shot

There is absolutely nothing as comforting and satisfying as having your RV in its own hangar surrounded by the tools that put it together! RV-6 at home in Vero Beach, FL.

IMG_0952.jpg

070pp.jpg

Last edited:
Home of the RV-9A "Enterprise"

Here is a recent photo from June 6, 2009. The airplane received its airworthiness certificate on June 8, 2005.
DSCT0634.JPG

In this July 4, 2009 photo, the RV-8 built by my friend Wendell Folks is parked in my usual spot.
DSCT0644.JPG

Here's mine at 52F. Moved in June of 2008. Still working on the mancave (last photo).

exteriora.jpg

Gotta have a flag. How many other countries will let you fly as freely as we do?
withflag.jpg

Always a nice view.
mancave.jpg

The Cambridge Valley Flying Club hangar at Chapin Field (1B8) in upstate NY where my RV6 lives - at least for now.

cvfcwinter0809.jpg

wings3uq1.jpg

Jim Sharkey

Some really nice hangars out there - makes us look like a bunch of woodchucks here in the Upsate NY/New Engalnd area :D
Jim Sharkey

And a gaggle from Down Under....

dsc0003gg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's an 8, two 7A's, a 7 and (out of view) a 10 fuse in progress......bit of a bias towards RV's at this hangar...!!!

Last edited:
Always a work in progress ...

It ain't purty, but it's paid for! Insulated, heated (y'all in Texas wouldn't understand the need for that), well, drain, tools and a mural on the wall ... and someday I'll even repaint the ceiling and floor.

Maybe.

hangar003a.jpg

The gaggle at Bloomington...my hangar is on the end, and next to me is Terry W. with an almost complete 7A.

9-12-09-005w.jpg

6-16-09-013w.jpg

I need a better pic of the overall hangar...:rolleyes::cool:

It ain't purty, but it's paid for! Insulated, heated (y'all in Texas wouldn't understand the need for that), well, drain, tools and a mural on the wall ... and someday I'll even repaint the ceiling and floor.

Maybe.

hangar003a.jpg

Oh man!! My friend Larry (f14rio on VAF) will be TOTALLY jealous of the mural on your wall!! He LOVES the Jolly Rogers!!! Nice!!

Oh man!! My friend Larry (f14rio on VAF) will be TOTALLY jealous of the mural on your wall!! He LOVES the Jolly Rogers!!! Nice!!

Thanks. Many years ago, we had an occasionally-employed artiste on the field. He was bored one day, so I told him what I wanted and he got started.

"How about a VF-84 Tomcat right down on the water, with a MiG 29 going down in the background?" I asked.

"No problem," he said.

Weeks later, I have this incredible VF-84 Tomcat on my wall. Unfortunately for me, however, he lost his muse. I begged, I cajoled, I offered money ... no go. So, I painted a blue background and called it a day.

Maybe someday he'll pop back in, brushes in hand, and feel compelled to finish his masterpiece.

Naaaaahhhhh .... :)

Here are a couple of closeups of the mural ...

Tomcat1.jpg

Tomcat3.jpg

Last edited:
Officially, I'm not allowed to work in my hangar at EHHV. Some environmental thing - they're afraid I'll spill oil or something when working on electrical wiring inside my cockpit , I guess. Plus I'm still waiting for the electricity that I was promised 9 months ago.

I really want to build a decent hangar/workshop there, but no more planning permissions will be handed out.

And so I'm thinking of moving back to EHLE, which is some 45 miles from home. Planning permissions available, but only if I build something that has grandeur and standing, oh, and big enough to house a 737...

Sigh...

The next-closest airport/airfield/airstrip is 55 miles from home. Far from ideal for that quick two-hour evening let-get-that-little-job-finished stints...

Sometimes this place sucks....

Hans

Hangars

Ouch! 55 miles way too far. I could save a bundle by driving, but having my hangar 10 minutes from home is worth the expense. Nothing fancy, it is rented (for the last 18 years and 3 airplanes.)

DSC_0056.jpg

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Ouch! 55 miles way too far. I could save a bundle by driving, but having my hangar 10 minutes from home is worth the expense. Nothing fancy, it is rented (for the last 18 years and 3 airplanes.)

DSC_0056.jpg

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Right now, I'd kill for something like your "nothing fancy" John...

And yes, 55 miles is too far. Not sure what I'll do. For now, I just close the hangar doors when I'm working and hope they won't kick me out...

My home away from home

Never thought I'd have an 8 or a hangar, but here it is.

In the foreground of the first one is Craig Swanson's brand new 7A, and there is also a Remos G3 out of the photo.

6 minutes from home always with a stocked refrigerator. You all stop in and visit if you're ever near Dahlonega, GA. 9A0

3929956958_77992bc30b_o.jpg

from the front

3929193617_9926f96f6a_o.jpg

Super crappy cellphone pic of my place, with Heinz' Robin and my airport cruiser parked in front. If only I had electricity and was allowed to work here, it would have been perfect...
kantoor.jpg

24bsxgy.jpg

104eus9.jpg

wvuyip.jpg

2rp3eyt.jpg

My 45'X48' hangar is 15 minutes from home. When I learned that hangar space was soon to become available I contacted the airport
owner, a casual acquaintance who happens to live in my neighborhood. That very evening he stopped by to assess me as a potential tenant.
When he laid eyes on my unfinished RV-6A he said "Rick, I want you to finish this airplane at MY airport!" When basic construction was
finished on the fully insulated hangar, we swept the place out as the construction workers drove off. Soon, I erected plywood sheets
painting everything I could reach on a ladder with the whitest high gloss paint I could find. Originally sharing the hangar with a C-172
owner, the hangar was home to three aircraft until an empty T-hangar became available, he moved out and I became sole occupant.

Mine is a "working" hanger

Lots of nice, neat hangers in the previous posts.
Mine not quite so much. I took this picture last night. Can you find the 5 complete (not assembled) aircraft in this picture? All that plus a 10' by 25' spray booth in a 50x50 hanger that I co-own.
hangerr.jpg

Last edited:
Flyin' Tiger Field... at the end of a great day!

Bruce Bohannon's Flyin' Tiger (not shown) is spending the night at KLBX... but we did have a great time today flying everything else in the hangar! Pictured is an RV-8, two RV-4s, a Pitts S2b, and a Legend Cub. With all the fast and nimble birds in the hangar, the Cub is usually the first to fly in the morning and the last to fly in the evening. Life at Flyin' Tiger Field (81D) is almost better than we deserve.

P1020062.JPG

Last edited:
Well those are some nice hangars but I don't see any like mine!
DSC05435.jpg

DSC05434.jpg

Hinge modification to make the wind bent door work.

DSC05438.jpg

Previous tenant's modification to make a Piper Comanche fit in a too small hangar.

DSC05441.jpg

And this platform is my modification to keep the tailwheel out of the water. Note the water line several inches up the legs of the sawhorses in the background. This airport is in the desert but apparently a large part of the airport water runoff goes though my hangar.

DSC05448.jpg

This asphalt platform is what keeps the main gear out of the water. Note the hole in the center foreground and the similar hole at the same relative location in the background. I can fill these holes up and they will be re-excavated the next time I am at the hangar. I have taken samples of the droppings in the area. My naturalist friend thinks the droppings are from a Packrat, although these certainly are not typical Packrat nests.

DSC05442.jpg

You never know when you might need some tires or tubes that still have some landings in them and they make nice habitat for yet more animals. I have a whole ecosystem right there in my hangar. It includes Needle Grass, Bull Snakes, Tarantulas, Wood Rats and Black Widow spiders all in the setting of rain run-off mud.

DSC05452.jpg

Carlsbad Airport today.​

Last edited:
But you can't beat the price!

Thanks for the memories, Larry. I remember walking up to my Carlsbad hanger just as my plane partner pulled his rifle out of his truck and aimed it into the hanger. I thought he had finally been pushed to far by the failings of the Cherokee! Instead, he was hoping to get a clean shot at a packrat!

But, the rental price is sure right!

Mikey and the Val at home!

In regards to Larry's wonderful post, I should point out that in my brief experiences with Carlsbad's hangars, I believe him to have one of the PREMIER hangars in the row.....:eek:

Here is an early shot of our two RV's learning to live together in our hangar. It is a little more crowded now that a new set of wings are taking shape in the corner.

IMG_6685.jpg

Paul

Larry...A Solution to Your Rodent Problem

Larry,
That is a hangar with some stories to tell! When you referred to a pack rat in a hangar, I was wondering how you managed to get a picture of my hangar? However, now that I comprehend the real issue, I believe that I have a solution. Check out this link for a piece of equipment that will solve your problem in a hurry! http://www.rodenator.com/ What guy would not love to have one of these?!

DSC05448.jpg

This asphalt platform is what keeps the main gear out of the water. Note the hole in the center foreground and the similar hole at the same relative location in the background. I can fill these holes up and they will be re-excavated the next time I am at the hangar. I have taken samples of the droppings in the area. My naturalist friend thinks the droppings are from a Packrat, although these certainly are not typical Packrat nests.

Here's my corner of the hanger - I share this hanger with a couple of other RV'ers. It's a great location and I'm happy to have this space to finish my -6A project (just got it on its gear today - yay!)

P1010017.JPG

My Man-cave!
mancave.gif

Here's my hangar in East Texas with my C172 nestled inside. It's 40x50 with an apartment in the back. Now I just need to figure out how to get the RV in there too after it's finished. High-wing, low-wing... it should work!
mycessna172.jpg

I partnered with another RV-9A builder and built a 50x50' hangar at CYSH last summer.

It was very rewarding building this... now I'll be able to say that the plane I built lives in a home I built for it. 50x50' is going to be tonnes of space for two -9A's (no other airplanes)... luxury!
Here's a sequence of photos showing the entire build process last summer:
http://www.c-func.com/hangar.html

Where to get a good Steel Hangar?

Hey All,

My RV is getting closer to finished and needs a good home. Anyone have a good lead on who offers a good (competitive) steel building (hangar)? I have a quote in from R&M (saw they supplied a previous poster's hangar)... any others to consider? Not to hijack the thread... PM if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

Lots of nice pictures.. :)

One thing I noticed were all the OSH EAA Flags.. How would one be able to get one of these? Where do you get them so I can remember next year.. I'd love to have one from this year as it was my first time to fly my RV up.. :)

Lots of nice pictures.. :)

One thing I noticed were all the OSH EAA Flags.. How would one be able to get one of these?
Where do you get them so I can remember next year.. I'd love to have one from this year as it
was my first time to fly my RV up.. :)
While attending Oshkosh, I always make it a point to pick up a couple of patches at the Sky Shoppe
or the museum among other places on the AirVenture grounds where patches and other EAA
merchandise can be purchased. You can also order all manner of official EAA stuff on-line:

http://shop.eaa.org/

After 20 visits spanning 25 years, I probably need to start another shadow box.

2yyxcsy.jpg

i have a cork board............

img0604mi.jpg

well my board is loaded too. all kind of stuff. love my hanger. turbo

We have 4 RV's in a 70 x 75 hangar, I leave the middle open so we wont have to move a plane. It also works well for working on other projects.
009.jpg

0102.jpg

0112.jpg

0122.jpg

Ready for Ike

Hey Fellas:

Had to get all the toys inside when Ike was approaching - hindsight proved this to be not necessary in our area. We did get a good photo op out of the process, but we had to take the tips off the C45 to get it in. Heck, looks like the Evo had not flown yet when this was taken.
f1boss
[/URL][/IMG]

Carry on!
Mark

Nothing fancy.

Last winter's snow collapsed a line of old T Hangars at 1B8 - and sadly destroyed some nice planes in the process. Fortunately I was renting space in the big club hangar shown at the back of the picture below and it survived.

Since then I have acquired one of the nice new replacements for the collapsed hangars - an end T into the corner of which my RV-6 fits nicely.

Next task is to get the plane painted.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Flying since 2009

Last edited:
cafl.jpg

moved up to a larger hangar. sold the old and moved up. well needed space.

Last edited:
Back