What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circling the Cu?.

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I could tell that the atmosphere was getting back to it?s normal level of humidity and heat, after a blessedly cool and dry few days (following the hurricane, this was huge relief for many!), the moisture visible in the mid-morning sky as the first of the day?s cumulus began forming up over the coastal plain. Launching with no plan other than getting airborne for a little while, I climbed quickly after clearing the Class B and popped through the scattered clouds, topping out at 4,000? in cool, clear air, white popcorn below, and blue sky above. The bubble canopy of the RV-8 makes me feel like I am one with the sky, the world below inconsequential for as long as I remain aloft.

While most of the puffy cumulous seem content this morning to remain level with their neighbors, I spot an overachiever that is poking out of the layer a few miles down the coast ? a ?clown?s head? that looks like it wants to become something greater that it?s fellows. With nothing better to do, I roll towards it in mock attack, aiming for a tangent a safe distance away and building speed as I leaned out the mixture and set power. Coming up even with the little tower, I rolled wings vertical and pulled to circle around it?s base, my head to the cloud as I came around 180 degrees, pointed back the way I came. The top looked to be a couple thousand feet above me, and it was boiling and seething with power ? it was headed higher and doing it fast!

I pushed all the levers forward and eased back on the stick into a maximum climb, continuing to circle the lone pillar. I could see that I was alone out there, just me and the vapor, but I still maintained a legal distance as I stayed with it, gaining slowly on the top. I was going up at 1500 fpm, and barely catching up with the top. Around and around I went, holding a nice G-level and getting all I could out of the Val. The cloud continued to boil along the sides, and as I swung from the sun side to the shadow, I could see little wisps of vapor silhouetted for an instant before they dissipated. Through 9,000? I could tell that I was going to top this thing in another turn or two, and it almost seemed to lose steam as I came around at 10,000?, I pulled level with the top, fully illuminated by the sun, and still reaching and boiling, but slowing down noticeably. It had run out of unstable air, and was clearly doomed as I rolled over the top and looked down on my competitor. Crisscrossing over the top at 11,000?, I rolled a few more times, and looked at the flight timer on the EFIS ? it had been just 12 minutes since brake release.

I pulled up into a wing-over, then pulled the power and rolled into a dive to spiral back down, the tower considerably thinner than it was during the trip up. It was dissipating, having spent its energy in the climb, then running into an invisible ceiling that kept the day safe from thunderstorms. I know it never knew I was there, but I counted it a worthy adversary nevertheless ? the bold white challenge to the bright blue skies. I looked back as I slipped back down through the tops of its genteel brethren ? the sheep of the sky, content to graze on the lower level moisture - and the tower was almost gone. It was but a transient challenge ? perhaps a dream, but nevertheless, a fine way to spend a few minutes in my perfect flying machine?.

Paul

RE: What Fun and Beauty

Paul

Thanks for a great vivid story of one great RV ride. Wheather I am watching the clouds from up close and personal or just watching from the ground I always think, "what beauty, what magesty, what strength, what wonderful life giving moisture......only a cloud......

You really brought this one to life.

Thanks

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... NFY

........ I am one with the sky, the world below inconsequential for as long as I remain aloft.......
A fine piece of writing Paul. Who cannot be reminded of "danced the skies" and "joined the tumbling mirth?" As Magee so eloquently alluded to in his own way, precious few among us see and do things others "have not dreamed of." As pilots we are a truly blessed lot. Thank you for sharing.

WOW....!

Great story! Must have been a great experience too!

Keep those stories coming...! specially since we don't have those rapid growing clouds in Norway... I think... but the next time I see one, I'll find out.

Thanks for the idea! And for sharing!

i could feel it

right before i read that post i was sitting here in my hotel room in Douala, Cameroon (africa) watching as a thunderstorm developed right in front of me... wishing that i could go fly around it and get a closer view of the incredible power that was preparing to be unleashed.....

then i look down at my computer, to VAF, and find this post!!

as soon as i finished reading it, i just laughed in excitement as i thought how much fun it must've been, as i was wishing that i could be up doing the same...

btw, this is probably the 7th very large thunderstorm i've gotten to sit and watch from this hotel! :cool:

If that thing with NASA.......

turns out to not work out for you Paul, you could probably make a meager living as a writer. Seriously, an absolutely outstanding piece of writing!! Keep 'em coming and see you at LOE.

Not to change the subject

Paul,
Not to change the subject but your excellent prose stirred a question in my mind. As much as flying the shuttle must be an almost out of body experience, flying in general is maybe a microcosm of that experience. That being said, have you had any astronauts enjoy a ride in your beautiful RV-8?

I'm glad folks enjoy these little vignettes....even though they capture but a tiny part of the joy of flying an RV!

As much as flying the shuttle must be an almost out of body experience, flying in general is maybe a microcosm of that experience. That being said, have you had any astronauts enjoy a ride in your beautiful RV-8?

Oh, one or two....most of the ones that would enjoy it most know exactly where a ride would lead them, and are reluctant to tempt their spousal units good races by bringing home a tail kit....(military pay and college tuitions being what they are...)

Paul

Back