What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aspen fall foliage flight

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
While doing official airport stuff I talked to folks flying two planes up to Salida CO for breakfast. Of course that is a favorite destination for local RV pilots. I normally start flying by 730 AM. This time I did not leave until around 900 AM.

I depart north then west. Contact COS approach to avoid jets flying north and was informed of the USAFA jump plane ahead. No problem. Just fly by Pikes Peak to the north and level off at 12,500'. Low for me but adequate.

As I approach the last ridge before Salida I noticed a nice area of aspens which are yellow. We don't get the vibrant array of colors of places back east but it has to do. Here are a few pics.

Aspen1Small.jpg

Aspen2Small.jpg

Aspen3Small.jpg

...As I approach the last ridge before Salida I noticed a nice area of aspens which are yellow...
Thanks for bringing back great memories of the drive from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek at this time of year.

Wish I was there!

Thanks, Ron. I love the Arkansas River valley and wish I was closer! Great to see the photos.

Ah----right click on mouse, select "set as desktop background", and I get to view that wonderful image often.

Thanks.

WOW

thanks for those!!! i can't wait to get home and start flying again!!!

and that reminds me... my parents have retirement property in Custer Co. Colorado.... i can't wait to fly around with my dad in my -7 just to enjoy the view! :D

Last edited:
Great Pictures

Very nice!
Looks like you had a great flight. I wish this time of year would last longer than just a few weeks.

Back