What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Formation Aerobatics

Andy Hill

Well Known Member
2 x (UK) RV-8 having fun :D (29th July 2008)

David & Zan's website - best to then click 'Slideshow' ;)

Site being updated - so if above link does not work, try again later (I'll update the link) or click Website and links to 'Airplanes' ''Air to Air' and RV link(s)

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

Edit to update URL link above - should give you 97+ pictures...

Example:
G-HILZ.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to get some

air ro air shots like that...Trouble is I don't quite trust my buddies being that close to me when doing acro!

Would be way cool though...anyone got any tips for doing (learning) this stuff..Yes I'm pretty good at basic acro by myself, have been expertly trained, yada, yada

Frank

Andy,

Very nice pictures. Spotted EGDD and also a corner of Upper Heyford I think.

Alistair gave us a nice display in the Spitfire (MH434) at Windrushers. Stopped the rush hour traffic on the south of the airfield. Wonder how the RV-8 compares?

Looking forward to a 3-ship sometime soon. Back to the baffles (nearly there)

Chris

Frank...

Glad you like the shots...
...anyone got any tips for doing (learning) this stuff..Yes I'm pretty good at basic acro by myself, have been expertly trained, yada, yada
There are a few "skills" going on here. Firstly of course, 2 good photographers who not only know their stuff, but can do it at up to 4g, and hardly smoothly flown! Their inputs to the formation positions, background and orientation re sun were invaluable... and way over my head :eek: Just did as I was told ;)

The other 2 are Aerobatics and Formation. The main skill I would suggest is the latter... and takes a lot of learning to get to this stage. I am ex-Mil and instructor, and other pilot an experienced warbird display pilot (as Chris says). The "Aerobatic" (or "Acro") element is quite basic - just Loops and Barrel Rolls - albeit tweaked to help #2 keep position. If you really want to do this, I suggest the starting point is the formation clinics thread elsewhere...

Makes perfect sense

Frank...

Glad you like the shots... There are a few "skills" going on here. Firstly of course, 2 good photographers who not only know their stuff, but can do it at up to 4g, and hardly smoothly flown! Their inputs to the formation positions, background and orientation re sun were invaluable... and way over my head :eek: Just did as I was told ;)

The other 2 are Aerobatics and Formation. The main skill I would suggest is the latter... and takes a lot of learning to get to this stage. I am ex-Mil and instructor, and other pilot an experienced warbird display pilot (as Chris says). The "Aerobatic" (or "Acro") element is quite basic - just Loops and Barrel Rolls - albeit tweaked to help #2 keep position. If you really want to do this, I suggest the starting point is the formation clinics thread elsewhere...

Thanks Andy,

Ahh no wonder I don't feel comfortable, I never done any formation work...Thanks for the tip!

Frank

Andy - you should submit some of those for the 2009 calendar!

EDIT**

Andy, is your plane G-HILZ? The paint scheme is wonderful - I'd be tempted to consider something similar, but with different colors. It looks fantastic!

Last edited:
And...

I was remiss in not expressing my enthiasm for these pictures...

Truely incredible, I love them!!!!

Frank

Andy and Ellie:

I've been involved in buying photos for aviation advertising for 30 years, and these are some of the most stimulating I've ever seen. Of course I fly an -8 so I may be a bit biased. But the quality and clarity and drama of these shots is superb. Thank you for sharing. This will no doubt inspire a number of people to get off the fence and start building. Great job!!!

Chris

Matt
Andy, is your plane G-HILZ? The paint scheme is wonderful - I'd be tempted to consider something similar, but with different colors. It looks fantastic!
Yes - ours is G-HILZ - details at our Website. We had some ideas about a paint scheme, but Airtime at Bournemouth refined one of our ideas into the paint job you see - they did a fantastic job :)

Of the other comments, praise is really directed at the photographers - correctly ;) They have, or will, read your comments ;)

Next aim is to get a separate "photo ship" to take pictures of these 2 RV-8s as a "pair", same photographer(s) of course.

Meanwhile, if you like the shots, please then see the rest of their site, in particular the first RV8 vs RV8 section and Pitts to RV8

Andy

Awesome pictures!

I thought those pictures were great! Even my wife enjoyed the show. :) I hope my RV-12 is never in some of those attitudes!

Back