What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 style vent PIREPS?

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm considering a couple of those rectangular -10 style vents for my -4, perhaps below each cowl cheek. Anybody try this?

RV-10 Rear Air Vents

Contact me off line and I will send you some pics.

dav1111 at suddenlink dot net

I have two on the right side of my RV-4. Each is mounted just forward of the seating position. They are easily accessed without a cable and provide a lot of air.

Ken

Are these the only fresh air source? How high up did you mount them? Any pics?

Yes, this is the only source unless the forward canopy seal leaks. It is amazing how much air comes in a small leak in the forward seal. Side seal leaks are not an issue. I have a taxi position on the canopy for ground operation. One vent produces a lot of air -more than the NACA vents on my RV-6A. They are mounted flush with the side fuse skins. I will take some pictures this weekend.

Ken

I put two of these vents in my RV4 this summer before heading off to Van's Homecoming fly-in from KIJD in CT. They were mounted on each side of the fuselage, as low as I could put them without interfering with the rudder pedals and cables, and about midway between the firewall and the next bulkhead aft. One on each side.

They provided lots of air, which kept my feet cool and flowed back and up past my torso.

Mel Barlow, N114RV - 1092 Hr.

So now I'm fairly convinced to forget the NACA ducts and hoses in favor of the rectangles. I'm torn between one below each cheek (the plane's, not mine) or one just ahead of each seat on the side of fuse. Has anybody put a slight bend in them and mounted on the skirts? I'm trying to be extra thoughtful on this decision as it involves cutting holes in my fuse :eek:

I forgot to mention that I have two NACA vents in the right side canopy skirt - one for the front seat and one for the rear. They were purchased and installed when the airplane was built (back in the '80s). They have not been very effective. The air just zipped past my right shoulder until I installed deflectors on the inside of the canopy skirt downstream from each vent. Now that I have the RV 10 vents up forward by my feet, I plan to remove the front NACA vent. I think I will leave the rear one for my passengers, (which are few and far between).

One thing I do know about my front NACA vent is that when open, it contributes quite a bit of noise, which is picked up by my Com Mic. It may be the combination of the vent and deflector. The noise is greatly reduced if I remember to close the vent before hitting the "push to talk" button.

I don't think the RV 10 vent would work on the -4 canopy skirt because of the curvature in the skirt. I would expect it to produce some noise in that location also, which might be picked up by your mic.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it,

Mel Barlow

RV-4 Vents

Here are some pictures of my vents.

101_0237-1.JPG

101_0233-1.JPG

101_0234-1.JPG

101_0235-1.JPG

Back