What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto 3 Blade Prop

georgedouglas

I just ordered a 3 blade Catto prop to replace my Sensenich fixed pitch prop that Vans recommends with the 0 320 Lycoming 160 HP on my RV9A. I won't get delivery until June so let me hear if I am making a mistake. I operate off my grass airstrip so I ordered it with the nickel leading edge. I opted for the all around cruise/climb prop with 72" pitch.
george

I have a 3 blade Catto 68x72 on the same type of engine and at 2150RPM gives me a cruise speed of 120kts (IAS).
Could not be happier, and very nice looking. Hope this helps.

My buddy has the 3 blade Catto on his 9A (340) and flies out of a grass strip, he loves the prop and his 9A climbs very well.

Why?

I made the change from the Sensenich fixed as recommended, I went to the sensenich ground adjustable. I did it primarily (90%) to get weight off the nose. The other 10% is look, to be honest. Performance, smoothness running in cruise are about the same. The idle (600-700 on the ground) got a little worse, just rougher, the loss of the rotating inertia at idle matters. I’m curious why you’re making the change.

I made the change from the Sensenich fixed as recommended, I went to the sensenich ground adjustable. I did it primarily (90%) to get weight off the nose. The other 10% is look, to be honest. Performance, smoothness running in cruise are about the same. The idle (600-700 on the ground) got a little worse, just rougher, the loss of the rotating inertia at idle matters. I’m curious why you’re making the change.

I think the 3 blade looks nicer, more ground clearance since I operate off grass, less vibration, getting rid of the 2600 RPM restriction of the Sensenich prop, and reduced weight. Also since my airstrip is down in a valley with rising terrain at one end and tall trees at the other end, I am hoping that it gives me a little more drag on final coming in at a 4 degree plus glide slope.

I hope once I make the change that I still feel this way. When all the dust settles and I get a fair price for the Sensenich prop, the swap shouldn't be all that expensive. I only have 90 hours on the prop so it's in excellent shape.
george

My Catto 3 blade on my Rv7a io360 works and looks great. It is much lighter than other props and I had to add 20 pounds on the crush plate to be able to carry reasonable baggage. Make sure your W&b is ok.

My Catto 3 blade on my Rv7a io360 works and looks great. It is much lighter than other props and I had to add 20 pounds on the crush plate to be able to carry reasonable baggage. Make sure your W&b is ok.

I am hosting a weight & Balance workshop on my RV9A tomorrow morning for our EAA chapter 17 here in Knoxville TN area. I didn't build this aircraft and I have made many changes this last year that a W&B is way over due. Yes when I do install the prop I will have to recalculate it and hopefully don't have to add as much ballast as you did.
george

I am hosting a weight & Balance workshop on my RV9A tomorrow morning for our EAA chapter 17 here in Knoxville TN area. I didn't build this aircraft and I have made many changes this last year that a W&B is way over due. Yes when I do install the prop I will have to recalculate it and hopefully don't have to add as much ballast as you did.
george

When I swapped the sensenich for the catto on my -7 the W&B was a big deal because the sensenich+hub weighed 42 lbs and the Catto only weighed 14 lbs. 28 lbs off the nose had to be compensated for, may not be as big an issue with the A models.

When I swapped the sensenich for the catto on my -7 the W&B was a big deal because the sensenich+hub weighed 42 lbs and the Catto only weighed 14 lbs. 28 lbs off the nose had to be compensated for, may not be as big an issue with the A models.

My W&B that we performed today shows I am a little nose heavy, which may be typical of A models. My CG is in limits, but it is close to the forward CG limit. So, when I change to the Catto prop that should move my CG back some, plus giving me more useful load.
george

My W&B that we performed today shows I am a little nose heavy, which may be typical of A models. My CG is in limits, but it is close to the forward CG limit. So, when I change to the Catto prop that should move my CG back some, plus giving me more useful load.
george

Also CG moves aft when burning fuel so forward CG is good.

george

Close to the fwd limit with no payload ( people, fuel, baggage, etc) is not important.
Where is it with typical people weights in the seats, 5-6 gal of fuel, and 100 lbs in the baggage compartment?
The answer to that question will tell you most of what you need to know.

Close to the fwd limit with no payload ( people, fuel, baggage, etc) is not important.
Where is it with typical people weights in the seats, 5-6 gal of fuel, and 100 lbs in the baggage compartment?
The answer to that question will tell you most of what you need to know.

This is all good, but that is why you establish those limits through calculations so you stay within the CG envelope. We all know the CG moves as fuel is burnt and with different loading configurations and etc. I was happy to see my empty weight come in at 1078 leaving me with a good useful load of 672 pounds. That's pretty good for a little airplane. When I install the Catto prop it will even be better since it is lighter than the Sensenich prop I now have.

Where is a good source to print out a W&B form? The ones on Vans site may be adequate, but I was looking for a more generic form used for most certified aircraft to place in the cockpit.
george

Where is a good source to print out a W&B form? The ones on Vans site may be adequate, but I was looking for a more generic form used for most certified aircraft to place in the cockpit.
george

I built mine in a spreadsheet and printed out the basic chart for the operating manual that stays in the plane. I also have the spreadsheet in my phone and iPad. Most of todays apps (Garmin Pilot, Foreflight etc.) have it built in also as well as portables like the 796, 660, 760. Some of them have basic RV templates built in. Plenty of options for you.

I like the spreadsheet when planning trips like Oshkosh as you can easily check various scenarios as Scott noted if you are 2 up, lots of baggage, and want to check fuel burn/leg distances and fuel stops. I have also added a station forward of the spar where I put the travel tool/tiedown kit for long trips. My -7 gets very light on the controls when close to the aft CG limit so it is something I watch carefully.

I've go a Catto three blade. I did not get the nickel leading edge and now I regret it. After 40 hours paint started to chip off. Get the nickel leading edge. It almost doubles the cost but well worth it.

I've go a Catto three blade. I did not get the nickel leading edge and now I regret it. After 40 hours paint started to chip off. Get the nickel leading edge. It almost doubles the cost but well worth it.

I did opt for the nickel leading edge at an additional cost of $250.00 a blade. Do you operate off grass?
george

Back