What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning AvGas stains?

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
Anyone got any good tricks?
I discovered a small leak at my wing root. I had filled up with cheap gas and flew the 4 minutes home. Some fuel dropped down along the bottom fairing and dried. Discovered it a week later during pre-flight, so it had obviously dried. So far,simple green down very little. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

use 100 ll

Best way to remove green stains is to use the 100 ll that caused them, take a rag and cup of 100ll and wet and rub, and wet and rub the stain over and over, it takes a while, but most of it will go away. Don't rub too hard or you'll dull the paint underneath.

I had a fuel stain on the leading edge of a white wing. Weather got hotter and fuel expanded and pushed out of the filler cap. I tried all the usual suggestions and none worked. Had a retired paint/body guy look at it and he even brought over a buffer and tried buffing it out. He declared it was ?in the paint? and would need to be spot painted and blended. Well I put it on the ?to do someday list?. After a few months the stain just faded away all on its own. Chalk up another win to procastion!

Use AVGas as everyone said, and then leave it alone. If you keep trying to get it out it will essentially dull your paint or even rub it off, depending how nice your paint job is. Even if it has stained the paint, it will get lighter as time passes.

Back