Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
My MDRA inspector told me to send in my application for registration 6 months ahead of my estimated final inspection date to avoid delays in getting flight authority.
Problem with that is you need to send in a picture of your "completed" plane with the registration. I sent mine in as soon as I had the wings on. I had it ready to fly in about 3-4 weeks after that, my registration took 6 weeks beyond that. Talk about a painful wait.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 06-18-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Problem with that is you need to send in a picture of your "completed" plane with the registration. I sent mine in as soon as I had the wings on. I had it ready to fly in about 3-4 weeks after that, my registration took 6 weeks beyond that. Talk about a painful wait.
Actually that is not correct. The registration can be done anytime and doesn't require a picture or the airplane completed. The INITIAL APPLICATION FOR
A SPECIAL CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT
does requires the picture and cannot be submitted until the final inspection is completed.

I just went through the process and had great service from the MDRA.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid
Old 06-18-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Actually that is not correct. The registration can be done anytime and doesn't require a picture or the airplane completed. The INITIAL APPLICATION FOR
A SPECIAL CERTIFICATE OF AIRWORTHINESS FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT
does requires the picture and cannot be submitted until the final inspection is completed.

I just went through the process and had great service from the MDRA.
Well that had me going over why I submitted a picture. The answer is we're both right. 3 years ago I sent my request for final inspection to MD-RA as was (and still is) required before applying for the C of R. The FINAL INSPECTION NOTICE that I got in response included the document C16E PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION PRIOR TO FINAL/IMPORT INSPECTION. This document included the following requirement.
Quote:
3/4 side view photo of the completed aircraft showing registration marks affixed.
Here's the rub, that document I got was the 20151005 version. The current version of that document is 20200923 and it no longer includes this requirement.

So you are correct, this is no longer a requirement. It was for me and I'm glad to see that it was removed.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 06-19-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Well that had me going over why I submitted a picture. The answer is we're both right. 3 years ago I sent my request for final inspection to MD-RA as was (and still is) required before applying for the C of R. The FINAL INSPECTION NOTICE that I got in response included the document C16E PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION PRIOR TO FINAL/IMPORT INSPECTION. This document included the following requirement.

Here's the rub, that document I got was the 20151005 version. The current version of that document is 20200923 and it no longer includes this requirement.

So you are correct, this is no longer a requirement. It was for me and I'm glad to see that it was removed.
Thanks for the clarification. I found my recent registration process and the application for Special Certificate of Airworthiness to be pretty straight forward and well explained within the MDRA documents.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid