What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Phoenix has risen!

gyoung

Well Known Member
My RV-6 project, dubbed The Phoenix Project, took to the skies today. Those of you that have been around here for a while may get the reference as a rebirth of my first RV from its 2001 accident. In 2002 I used the insurance proceeds to buy the salvage, a partially completed kit and a flying Navion. I've spent the last 18+ years chipping away at the RV while flying the heck out of the Navion. I licensed it as a new airplane but kept the N-number (N6GY) and reused the vertical stab, canopy, engine and radio stack. The AWC was issued Feb.9 and I have been slowly tweaking and checking off boxes until today. After so long it's still hard to grasp but I am so looking forward to this new chapter in my life.

Keep pounding those rivets. It's worth it.

Attachments

• 20210506_192454263_iOS.jpg
    20210506_192454263_iOS.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 20210506_184940394_iOS.jpg
    20210506_184940394_iOS.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 404
Those of you that have been around here for a while may get the reference as a rebirth of my first RV from its 2001 accident.

Greg, what a blast from the past! I distinctly remember surfing Doug’s “RV Yahoo Group” in Japan while on deployment in the summer of 2001 and reading about your accident. Nearly 20 years later....I take it this first flight went better than the last! Ha ha. Congratulations!!! Gotta love perseverance!!

Greg, what a blast from the past! I distinctly remember surfing Doug’s “RV Yahoo Group” in Japan while on deployment in the summer of 2001 and reading about your accident. Nearly 20 years later....I take it this first flight went better than the last! Ha ha. Congratulations!!! Gotta love perseverance!!

Went much better. I graduated to a great landing - you know, the one where you can reuse the airplane:D Thanks!

Reading this, I'm grinning ear to ear: I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment you must have! Congratulations!!!

Congrats Greg! Now, get back to work on all those other projects in your hangar...

:D

Back