What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight -- software upgrade 3/22/21

I’ve been flying the Beta version and love it! Very easy upgrade with a lot of cool stuff.

I wonder if Rob will ever support the iOS - for us lazy / PC-hating types.

I'd rather buy a set of thumb-drives pre-loaded with everything I need to install each time an upgrade comes out. :rolleyes:

If I understand you correctly you do not like pc consider, purchasing a cheap Pc to download the upgrades.

I wonder if Rob will ever support the iOS - for us lazy / PC-hating types.

I'd rather buy a set of thumb-drives pre-loaded with everything I need to install each time an upgrade comes out. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you mean MacOS...managing flash drives with an iPhone would be pretty tough.

I'm a pretty committed Mac user but I do have a PC on my desk for gaming. It's simpler for managing all this flash drive stuff. AFS's web page on flash drive preparation is pretty concise. It was pretty straightforward to create the flash drive with the new software from them, as well as using the download manager for the new-format maps from Seattle Avionics. I haven't loaded it yet, but when I do I'm hoping that it will address some of the configuration issues that I have with the recent install of a new 5400 EFIS.

Last edited:
I have been running the Beta version for several months, very slick! Does anyone know if the beta version is identical to the new release, or do I need to download the website version? Additionally, those using Seattle Avionics Data Manager, will need to download an updated version compatible with V16.

Last edited:
I'm lazy. There, I said it :D. Using Mac's and iPotato's outside the office for years while being forced onto the MicroSoft plantation at work has soured my outlook. I have stacks of partially-depreciated PC laptops around here that won't run the latest of Windows' Upgrade Parade versions and won't function in the medical office anymore. Hardware access is not an issue.

At the end of the day, this download / upload procedure is something I'm going to have to train myself to do, in order to continue enjoying the AFS equipment that I'm not at all sorry I filled my plane with. Great people, great products.

It's not their fault this doctor wouldn't use MS Windows to pump a septic tank if he had a choice. If I were AFS I wouldn't code separately for Mac snobs either. Pure business decision. I get it.

Looking forward to the upgrade, although pretty sure I'm already running that beta now in order to control my Trig remote com - I worked through some teething pain on that unit with Rob's help, as one of the first adopters last summer. Like MacCool probably alluded to, I'm a little skeert that the process, if I botch it, will leave me AOG until I can figure it out. That's not a comforting thought.

Advanced Flight glass is like the stuff I dreamed about as a kid (see avatar for proof). Mac support (and voice-commanded control) is the only way it could possibly get any better.

Last edited:
I'm lazy. There, I said it :D. Using Mac's and iPotato's outside the office for years while being forced onto the MicroSoft plantation at work has soured my outlook. I have stacks of partially-depreciated PC laptops around here that won't run the latest of Windows' Upgrade Parade versions and won't function in the medical office anymore. Hardware access is not an issue.

At the end of the day, this download / upload procedure is something I'm going to have to train myself to do, in order to continue enjoying the AFS equipment that I'm not at all sorry I filled my plane with. Great people, great products.

It's not their fault this doctor wouldn't use MS Windows to pump a septic tank if he had a choice. If I were AFS I wouldn't code separately for Mac snobs either. Pure business decision. I get it.

Looking forward to the upgrade, although pretty sure I'm already running that beta now in order to control my Trig remote com - I worked through some teething pain on that unit with Rob's help, as one of the first adopters last summer. Like MacCool probably alluded to, I'm a little skeert that the process, if I botch it, will leave me AOG until I can figure it out. That's not a comforting thought.

Advanced Flight glass is like the stuff I dreamed about as a kid (see avatar for proof). Mac support (and voice-commanded control) is the only way it could possibly get any better.

I recently bought the 5400 to replace the partly-dead 4500 that came on the plane when I bought it. That purchase was a pretty slick process, thanks largely to Tricia. It was very cost-efficient, and there's no possible way to fault the accessibility and help I've had from Jonathon, Rob, or Shawn. The 5400 came with the v16 beta installed, and AFS put many/most of my old configuration settings in the new EFIS. It mostly went pretty well. The plane is flying and navigating, but I'm still struggling with fuel tank calibration, no fuel flow display, and an ADAHARS that isn't quite clear about its attitude, horizon, or heading. No clue yet about the AFS autopilot nor the AoA...I haven't even started looking at those yet. I'm confident that it's not the fault of the hardware.

Generally, I share your disdain for Windows. It permeates my work environment too, but at least I can access EPIC remotely from Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch thanks to Citrix, Haiku, Canto, or Limerick.

Last edited:
Back