What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing steps

scorwin

Tried using the search fxn, but couldn't get a clear grasp on what to do, so here's my situation.

Got the doors fitted to the cabin (finishing the door seals). Installing overhead console soon. Cabin not secured. Plan is to cover the cabin top with fabric. Completely skipped section 41 (Upper Forward Fuse) bc I haven't picked out avionics yet. I have a C4B5 core and getting the engine built. Want to use sky bolt fasteners on cowl. Got Vans cowl. I have someone that can help with windows and windshield installation currently.

Current plan is to finish doors. Install overhead. Secure cabin. Install landing gear/engine mount? Unclear as to where to go next.

1) Install rear and door windows now while I have someone that can help - skip the windshield bc the Upper Forward Fuse isn't installed? When do I need to really start to focus on that? My plan was at the end after engine and FF is complete, but I read that there are rivets (from the forward fuse) that are VERY difficult to place with everything installed FF.

2) Can I install the sky bolts and cowl without having the forward fuse installed?Using the piano hinges, the forward fuse gets riveted with it. All the pics I can find show the forward skin riveted.

The goal I'm trying to accomplish is waiting for the avionics bc engine is taking all the money currently and electronics change frequently.

Let me know if this is unclear, trying to figure out an effective plan of action for the next year or so...

I installed the cabin top, windows, doors all before it went on it?s gear, Lott easier to work on when down low, worked outwell for me, you will still climb in and out 100?s of times once on the gear, lots to do with wiring, interior, avionics down the road. Hope this helps, Pete

I recommend painting the interior, installing the cabin top, and finishing the doors and windows (all the way through cosmetic fiberglass work) before putting the airplane on its gear. That means the forward upper fuselage needs to be installed. I think that's the most time efficient path forward.

You'll save enough time doing the fiberglass from floor level to come out ahead when you do the sub-panel and wiring later.

One other comment in addition to the above. I installed my overhead console before installing the cabin top. By laying the cabin top upside down on the floor, it was much easier to locate and glue the overhead console in place.

As for the avionics, I installed mine after the top and forward fuselage, as well as the engine and gear were finished. Most of my avionics LRUs are attached to trays behind the 10" Garmin displays (PFDs and MFD), with a couple attached to the sub-panel. I waited until late in the build to actually purchase and install the avionics in order to reduce the chance of having obsolete equipment before first flight.

But like most things with experimental building, there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing, with each path having positive and negative impacts. So you need to decide what route is best for you and then don't second guess yourself.

Cheers,

Regards,

My hesitation installing the forward fuse is the ease of doing the avionics on a bench. Is that even a concern with the quick build kits that are available from the different vendors now?

I would prefer having the fiberglass/windows and windshield done now, while I currently have someone that can help with that, other than trying to muddle through on my own later.

forward upper skin install

I waited to install the forward upper skin until the very end. I made sure nothing I did up front blocked access to the rivet line.

No real issues setting the rivets. You can see the details in my Kitlog in the signature line

Yes, wait as long as possible to install the forward fuselage! Even with a plug and play panel, you'll be under the panel a lot and it sucks. Do the interior, cabin top, and windows before the gear. Easier to work on. You can't do the cowl until you have the forward fuse on. Windshield is pretty easy believe it or not.

Back