- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:23 PM

Default HR2 Gear Legs (F1 mod?)

My HR2 is at the ďpaint and panel to goď stage. Fortunately I acquired it that far along.
Iíve read every Rocket thread and searched high and low throughout the RV gear leg stiffener threads.
My questions:
-should I seriously consider the F1 mount and itís tapered socket leg upgrade?
-If not, what gear leg stiffener configuration should I move forward with?
My gear leg stiffener goals are aimed squarely at lessening the aft flexing of the legs during braking given the designís light weight on the tailwheel and very flexible gear legs.
I found this recent -4 thread compelling (see pix links in post #4): https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=195959

Thanks in advance and thanks to all the brilliant Rocket and -4 forum contributors over the decades.

Dan
Old 06-07-2021, 07:49 PM

Default F1 gear

Dan,
Another point to not let lightly slip by, is that the F1 gear mod. moves the tires forward a few inches. This might be more important in preventing nose overs than the stiffness of the legs. I donít think you would be disappointed with the F1 mount and gear legs upgrade.
Jim Baker
RV-6
F-1 Building
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 PM

Thanks, Jim, for the quick reply.
The improved geometry of the F1 gear is exactly why I’m asking the question.
The majority of the HR2’s seem to be flying fine with the stock gear, but it is less than optimum.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 PM

The standard F1 mount will not fit a HRII fuse as the F1 is wider at the bottom mounts. It might be possible get a special one made. Contact Vince Frazier

Tom Martin
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 06-07-2021, 09:15 PM

Vince @ F1 aircraft now has available an engine mount available for the HR2 that has F1 geometry and accepts the F1 gear legs. Insurance statistic is something like 50% of all HR2s end up on there nose but thats only the ones the insurance knows about. John Harmon will tell you he believes 90% is more accurate. The price of a prop and 540 overhaul I would say YES its worth it.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoman View Post
Thanks, Jim, for the quick reply.
The improved geometry of the F1 gear is exactly why I’m asking the question.
The majority of the HR2’s seem to be flying fine with the stock gear, but it is less than optimum.
The majority if you call that 51% might be doing fine but at least 30% and probably closer to 50% of the Harmon’s have been over on their nose. That is the reason Rockets have such horrible insurance rates. The F1 has been unable to distance itself ftom the Harmon to get lower rates.
The standard rule of thumb for a tail dragger is 5% of the weight should be on the tailwheel. Most F1’s are 50 to 70lbs on the tailwheel. The Harmon’s I have looked at had 20 to 30. A 1300lb aircraft should have 65lbs on the tailwheel.

Last edited by sailvi767 : 06-08-2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 AM

My hr2 had 19 lbs on the tail when i got it. I talked to john and several other rocket guys that recommend 35-40 lbs on the tail. Johnís comment was ď throw a couple cases of oil in the back and go fly, you will love itĒ. I put a 4 gal smoke system in the cargo compartment and added 20lbs of lead dive weight to the aft elevator spar. This gives me 41 lbs on the tail with full smoke oil. It flies beautifully and has no tendency to nose over if you keep the stick back. It flies like a big engine airplane should, you just have to respect it on the ground.
Harmon Rocket #1
IO-540
10-1 pistons

1959 Piper PA22-150 Tri-Pacer

Rv7a sold
Rv6 sold
Rv4 sold
Rv3 sold
Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM

Thanks!
I appreciate the comments.
My Rocket has a 15 gal aux fuel tank in lieu of smoke tank.
I really hope to hear more from those with time in HR2’s with standard gear.
Thanks again