What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Mag question

skyking902001

Well Known Member
I am preparing to replace my right slick mag (4370) with a P-Mag and then offer the slick for sale (160 hours since new). The slick falls under the SB1-15A bulletin. I emailed Champion about a warranty repair and was told they have down-sized and that it would be better to replace the gear, then return the old gear for warranty credit. Seems to me a mag with the new gear would fetch more $, but if I replace the gear, would I be assuming some liability since I’m not an A&P? Or, if I get an A&P to swap the gears, would his cost justify enough more $ when selling the mag vs selling the mag without the gear change? Thanks for comments/suggestions.

Liability is lurking everywhere and difficult to avoid. Liability is mostly about proving negligence. I would argue that your risk is higher selling a product with a known defect, that you chose to not address, than for you installing the replacement part. Remember, you have already installed and removed the mag yourself and you're not an A&P; A good attorney could convince a jury that act was negligent and therefore contributed to the part that failed and injured his client. negligence is a large part related to the prowess of the attorney and susceptibility of the jury to his arguments, whether they be relevant or not.

Larry

Last edited:
Need slick mag replacement

Don't know if you still have this mag, and wether it's for sale but...I have an older 4370 that I am thinking about trading out. I would use my gear and your newer mag if possible. Let me know

Mag sold

Terry, the mag was sold almost the same day--sorry, I should have posted as sold at the time. Good luck in your search. BTW--the pmag is everything I had hoped for. Starting is so much easier and now hot starts are a non event.

Back