What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (12/19/2020-12/20/2020)

What did I do with my RV this weekend, you ask? Well, since you asked, I guess I'll tell you. I'm getting ready to do the hardest thing I've ever had to do on this build... actually, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I'm preparing to undo all you see in these photos... and remove my engine because it cannot fly as built. Sorry... but you asked.
ACtC-3cZviAT-uuYIghwzFNc65zYk2013eH26ynkplLSFJ9foSLbE20X9lKvPWnuQN-krQKaTrl-HdO8KZfiFxPZblJCJ3qISmslSMsMt2Z2-ara7zu0WiA5rAEmolSx4YGRQ7wJrvq5eajCnZixA2i3DG_p=w900-h600

ACtC-3faWaoKa9ntPgIlkn7vIa5jput8rWt16jS1HdL5pr331nJIOua_5BSeti6G3YOa4E_EdWsIWG46WZ3mPkvkIv6gD_OvKJHIiqFPN-cqaZklEsu_rDi_QhkfdnHJvFJf3KxYESZgw0m82p42EJoCTX9V=w900

ACtC-3eTGCsBd_o-f2_3LStOu0YQlJmSxNAMzhcWbMDdOaF3SX0LaFRwLMA99OHNJLCDUQhpIgV4WcK73d3-Xrw2SdC5PO09TReQyS2E4vP3Bi9vEn91vAJq_uK9C0NtcMKGC7rfSvd-p2xiAHHBKV8D8nKB=w900-h600

ACtC-3eyZhpdi83quewm5KL6WRog0fRsKDbJr_7XZ3VHelpFZUC9r_Wws1PjoLX2ZNfhGqWF4t6_mf75gfn3cyL-sinrEVibZHZZslwN4qYrzgMRJA1AU2xgF3ZDn92U8RCeXpTyWuPXNLygRx8HuIwTt0yU=w900-h600

ACtC-3eRFrt0GAMMjMgCaWWaazYTxaSz_evuRiz8VOiQYDyScSjatCZ0V0slCNcFEKWBkEj6OuDsbU3GnmqGYSelsnK42vEcFKgHg-NsBAZ3Q6qKRsxpAZa_P0zyRgxjRppNst7jqeWSF4aEh44Zmlh8_YUq=w900-h600

Last edited:
I want to apologize for starting this thread with such a depressing post. As builders, sometimes our world can be so wonderful... at other times it can be devastating. All of life is like this. I will not let this defeat me, for I have many wonderful experiences in my future as the owner and pilot of an RV-8, and I will see them come to fruition. I know I can count on the support of all who visit and maintain this site, and that gives me the strength to conquer this adversity and reach my goal with all its joys. Feeling down... but looking up.

Condolences

Don’t fret over your post. A big part of why many of us frequent these pages is to support each other and even vent about setbacks. Most of us will not have to cope with as big a problem as yours right now. Hang in there.

-Andy

Delivered Christmas presents to the grand kids. A 1hr flight beats a 5 hr drive anytime :)

Attachments

• 20201219_200424.jpg
    20201219_200424.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 132091421_10159151523562509_7233737564991739650_n.jpg
    132091421_10159151523562509_7233737564991739650_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 326
Some six-ship fun with the Gulf Coast Raptors. Harvey, Paddy, Curtis, Lonn, Jeff, Mike.

Attachments

• 20201219_102023 (2).jpg
    20201219_102023 (2).jpg
    188 KB · Views: 310
  • 20201219_101817 (2).jpg
    20201219_101817 (2).jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 20201219_093821 (2).jpg
    20201219_093821 (2).jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 332
Balanced the Carbs

First time balancing the carbs on my Rotax (purchased rv-12 n July). Didn’t think they were bad as I had very little vibration. But now, WOW she’s SMOOOOOTH! :)

Rust Prevention Program

Flew on RPP toward Colorado the only valley had light to moderate chop.
Gates of Lodore to the right.

Gates_of_Lodore_1.jpeg

Spotted couple hunters and some wildlife.

Hunters_1.jpeg

Deer_and_a_mustang_1.jpeg

Panel upgrades

One week into my IFR upgrade. Took a week off work and got a lot done. Got the MGL V16 and N16 radios installed under my map box, finished all of my wiring harness conversions for that and the PMA8000B audio panel. Built a radio rack/panel insert to hold my relocated GTR200, the audio panel and the GPS175 that I have on order. Also added a 4 breaker secondary avionics buss. I installed the access panel kit. And lastly, today I converted my keyed ignition switch with 2 magneto toggles and a push button. This went well, but have some issues with understanding that I posed in a separate thread.

All I have remaining is the COM2 and NAV antenna installations and reinstalling the rack items and avionics that I removed to protect while making metal dust. Just discovered that I ordered and received a LH Archer wingtip NAV antenna when I wanted to install it in the right. Guess I'm moving it to the left side, I was wondering why it looked to be upside down.

Not too much to report for this weekend.

Yesterday, I flew the RV-14A in the morning, and the RV-9A in the afternoon. Just did some landings and exercised the planes.

Heading to Northern California at the end of the week for Christmas...

I'm still grounded due to my recent foot surgery, but my hangar mate (a fellow RV-8 owner) took pity on my dusty, unused airplane and completely detailed it over the weekend! He also covered it up. Came as a complete surprise when he texted me about it. What a great guy!

Merry Christmas and Good Health to all!

Unknown-3-XL.jpg

I want to apologize for starting this thread with such a depressing post. As builders, sometimes our world can be so wonderful... at other times it can be devastating. All of life is like this. I will not let this defeat me, for I have many wonderful experiences in my future as the owner and pilot of an RV-8, and I will see them come to fruition. I know I can count on the support of all who visit and maintain this site, and that gives me the strength to conquer this adversity and reach my goal with all its joys. Feeling down... but looking up.

Don’t fret. By the third time, installing and then removing an engine you get pretty good at it. Yes, that’s the voice of experience.

Well, I had to run the wifey to Home Depots across the state tracking down an xmas gift ... RV problems :eek:

Checked out the ski resorts in Park City, Utah :)

Attachments

• PC Dec 20.jpg
    PC Dec 20.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 329
Flying videos are better than cat videos

Now that the plane's in phase 2, it's time to go places! This was my first trip into a "short" field ... 2600' (yes, not actually short, but is compared my roomy 5000' x 150' home field) .. no problem with the RV. Down and off by the mid field taxiway. Went with Pat, my RV7 brother from a few hangars down. A quick trip for Covid compatible coffee.

It was a stunning winter day in NorCal and I've been experimenting with a GoPro mounted under the right wing at the tie down point. Videos are pretty! The camera, however, has some occasional "vibration reduction artifacts" .. non-physical slewing of image as it locks/unlocks onto something while in a turn. I have the vibe reduction turned to the lowest non-off setting. Maybe off is better?

This is a short flight, < 15 min each way by the "long route" .. up the coast to Pacifica then inland and then skirt the newly configured SFO Bravo back south. The "short route" (up and over the hill direct) is probably 7 mins all told.

Flight out, HAF to SQL
https://youtu.be/Lukvgp5wCRg

Flight back, SQL to HAF:
https://youtu.be/_P4bg9vXvlg

Love this plane! Now at 52 hours TT

Last edited:
Bill, thanks so much for sharing these videos! I learned to fly at PAO back in the '80s and flew all around the Bay Area until I moved to NorCal in 2000. When I moved back to Michigan in 2008 and started flying again, I had to get used to flying over flatlands. In the Bay Area you always knew where you were because of the landscape. Seeing your videos brought back a lot of wonderful memories of flying over a part of this planet I still love, and miss with all my heart.

Thanks, Bill! Beautiful flights! I moved away from the Bay Area this past August but I flew hundreds of hours around there during the years I lived there. It was obviously a perfect day and a great reminder of my former home.

What did I do with my RV this weekend, you ask? Well, since you asked, I guess I'll tell you. I'm getting ready to do the hardest thing I've ever had to do on this build... actually, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. I'm preparing to undo all you see in these photos... and remove my engine because it cannot fly as built. Sorry... but you asked.
Try not to fret too much. I had to pull my engine a few years back in order to get cracks in the engine mount repaired. Felt like a big deal at the time (well, it was) but once I got going on it it was just another task, and now it's just a distant memory.

Gave an RV buddy a ride to Illinois, on the way back Lil' dude and I stopped at the Missouri Capital. This pic was actually leaving, a crosswind over the Mighty Mo'

IMG_0518_HEIC-L.jpg

Unfortunately last years flood took the airport restaurant out, fortunately Gary tossed us the keys to his car and a recommendation for something local and close. Arris Pizza Palace was 1.5 miles across the cool bridge, you could smell it (in a good way) a block away.

IMG_0516_HEIC-L.jpg

It's across the street from the capital building.

IMG_0515_HEIC-L.jpg

LLWS and moderate turbulence the entire last hour home, Lil' dude is a trooper. It got rough enough the last 15 minutes I pulled it back to 140 KIAS and we were both ready to push the RV into the hangar.

Back