What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aircraft specilty

Yes

Has anyone used aircraft specialty fuel hose replacement kit if so how
good did it work?

Edward,

Yes, I have Aircraft Specialty fuel lines on my RV-12. The fuel lines were installed during the build (yes, I built E-AB) and are very high quality products. I also had Aircraft specialty make a special oil line for me so I could mount the oil pressure sending unit along side the fuel pressure sending unit.

For what it is worth, I also installed Aircraft Specialty's brake line kit for the RV-12 ... here again, they made a couple of special lines for me because I wanted to also install a parking brake. All the lines were high quality and fit perfectly.

Also purchased the RV-12 canopy lock ... another nice product.

Thus far I have have received nothing but the highest quality components from Aircraft Specialty and Steve has been great to work with if you need a special line fabricated ... have nothing but good things to say about the products or service.

Last edited:
I just replaced the stock ROTAX fuel lines with the Aircraft Specialty system. I love it. No more 5 year replacement, AN fittings and much more compact.

John,
Where can I learn more about a parking brake install, parts and process?

Edward,

For what it is worth, I also installed Aircraft Specialty's brake line kit for the RV-12 ... here again, they made a couple of special lines for me because I wanted to also install a parking brake. All the lines were high quality and fit perfectly.

I did the five year condition inspection last May and put them on mine. They're very good, pretty easy to install. Instructions are great. Getting at the carb fittings is a little bit of a challenge but certainly do-able.

The only snag I ran into was that I replaced my fuel pump at the same time. The old pump was the old style without threaded fittings. They give you AN fittings for the fuel pump, but not the copper washers for them -- assuming you'll remove the old fittings and re-use the washers when you install the new ones. Well, my old fuel pump had no threaded fittings. I ended up with no copper washers to install the new hose fittings. Apparently most RV-12s have newer fuel pumps. I emailed Aircraft Specialties and they sent the parts I needed, no hassles. So, if you have a really old fuel pump with fittings that aren't threaded into the pump, let them know that when you order.

All in all I think the hose set is well worth the extra money, especially since I'll never have to do it again.

I just started using these folks recently for some engine parts. Efficient, fast service and good pricing. I'll be using them again.

I have FWF lines from Aircraft Specialty and have posted here previously about the experience of dealing with Steve and Aircraft Specialty. To summarize, he went far above and beyond in providing excellent service and his hoses look excellent. We haven't flown with them yet, nor even run the engine, but if they work nearly as well as they appear, they should be pretty terrific.

Steve and Tom Swearengen (TS Flight Lines) are partners in the business so if you've read anything about Tom, it applies to Steve as well.

All my (excellent) lines were fab'd by Tom, which was very convenient since he lives a couple mile from the airport where I built (3J1).

Yes, great customer service. My set showed up with one line missing. I called and they expressed me the line no questions asked. Good folks to deal with.

John,
Where can I learn more about a parking brake install, parts and process?

Edward,

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This stuff is fun for us and we really enjoy being part of these projects.

Here is a link to the crossover installation manual for the RV-12. This manual covers both the parking brake and the standard kit. Also, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact Tom or I and we will be happy to discuss your installation.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/Crossover Hose Install Manual Rev 2.pdf

Steve

Many of you know that Steve and I work together on alot of projects, not only for RV's but other planes and component systems as well. The RV12/Rotax was one of the first, and since then there have been quite a few others. Some get the headlines, like the Rotax fuel hose package, others may not, like the RV7/9 AFP pump install kit. We've taken a few of the kits and improved them by acquiring some neat equipment to make them more accurate, like the CNC tube bender that Steve has in his shop. We didnt get it specifically to do the RV14 fuel tubes, but we found that it takes all the 'guesswork' and stress out of making them.

We have several other projects on the boards that we are excited about. One being the hose conversion kit for Beringer Brake upgrades for all the RV's. We have the RV14 and 14A done, and with the option of a parking brake valve, and the antiskid valve. We have designed packages for the RV7/9's & A models, RV10, and are working on the RV8, both with the stock gear leg, and the Grove Gundrilled gear leg. Hopefully, we'll have something to announce shortly on that subject.

Tom

Back