What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN Xi Software 20.11 & GTN Software 6.71 Now Available 1/25/2021

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Morning,

We are excited to announce our latest software release's for both the GTN and GTN Xi Series IFR Navigators. These software updates can be downloaded from the Software Download Area directly, for EAB aircraft. Make sure to select the appropriate model when downloading the Software and Service Bulletin document, as the GTN and GTN Xi navigators use separate software loader cards. Several of the new features are a direct result of feature requests from the field, so please continue to provide your feedback on our equipment, and we will work to implement improvements that best serve the group as a whole as we continue to develop and enhance our products.

Database Sync with GPS 175, GNC 355 and GNX 375 IFR GPS Navigators

The ability to sync databases across the two families of Navigators is made possible by this GTN and GTN Xi update, as long as the 2 Inch Navigator is running the most recent version 3.10 software. There is one exception, database sync is not currently supported between a GTN 6XX/7XX and a GNX 375.

Also, with a forthcoming software update for the Garmin GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375, both the GTN and GTN Xi will be capable of flight plan crossfill between the two families of IFR GPS Navigators. We will update you here when the software for the 2 Inch Navigators is made available.

Fuel Flow Information

With a forthcoming update to the G3X Touch, we will be able to send Fuel Flow information from the G3X Touch to the GTN and GTN Xi Series Navigators. Configuration guidance and more details will be provided with the corresponding G3X Touch software update.

Glide Indications

Once a GTN Xi is configured with the glide ratio, best glide speed, etc. the estimated area the aircraft can glide is outlined in cyan around the aircraft on the moving map page. Both terrain and wind information are taken into account as part of the estimated area drawn. Wind information can come from a variety of inputs, including the G3X Touch, GI275, or G5 with optional OAT.

On the moving map page, cyan chevron arrows indicate the best airport within the estimated gliding distance and the most favorable reported weather conditions using a datalink weather source. Additionally, the nearest airport page indicates a green check box next to all airports that are within the estimated glide range. The pilot can adjust runway criteria displayed in the nearest airport page, such as surface type and length. If any airport is within best glide range, it will be displayed regardless of the preference set. The text font color and background color are inverted to identify the factor causing it not to be displayed, e.g. too short of a runway.

50693542721_b47dc6f72c_z.jpg

GTN Xi Radio Control

With dual GTN Xi installations, pilots can quickly control the COM and NAV radios of both from either GTN Xi. Controls include radio tuning and volume from either display. A new, dedicated radio page helps speed and simplify the process making it easy to understand and select the desired radio frequency and active/standby position for either GTN Xi.

50693542121_50abe498e6_w.jpg

50693542656_2c4713eb7c_w.jpg

Quick Page Navigation

Quickly switch between pages using the dual concentric knob. Like other Garmin products, the outer knob switches between pages and the inner knob switches between fields on the page. A locator bar indicates which page is currently selected and the other pages available. While the first and last pages are reserved, the others in between can be customized by the pilot. This will be very familiar for those using a GNS or flight display like the G3X. This enables most any feature to be accessed with the knobs and buttons alone.

50692802718_e58c5c102a_z.jpg

And much more:

• New user fields such as the ability to display Flight ID, a radios page shortcut, the current time (including seconds), distance and bearing from a selected waypoint, and current position formatted in latitude and longitude
• Ability to select a default page to display on startup
• Shortcut to view charts after tapping on airport, departure, arrival or approach from the Flight Plan page
• An option to inhibit terrain alerts and mute traffic alerts from their respective pop-ups

Thanks,

Justin

These are great upgrades, I loaded the new software yesterday and all went smoothly. I especially like the quick page navigation feature, this really makes getting around the various pages super easy. Fuel flow is also a very welcome addition, I already had this function from my EI engine monitor and can attest to it's usefulness for fuel planning, great to see this will now be available directly from the G3X.

Justin - when do you anticipate the corresponding G3X update to be published?

Thanks!
Charlie

GPS175 & G3X Touch Questions

Justin - when do you anticipate the corresponding G3X update to be published?

Thanks!
Charlie

Charlie,

We do not anticipate it will be much longer until we are able to release the G3X Touch revision. I of course can not provide a hard deadline, but we are aiming for the next 2-3 weeks, or sooner, pending flight testing and regression testing.

George,

We do not have any plans to expand upon the current, more limited, version of the quick page navigation in GPS 175. You are able to customize 2 of the shortcuts to pages of your choosing, let us know if you need any further information on adjusting these. Otherwise, I will raise your suggestion to the team to expand on this capability.

Thanks,

Justin

Help! G3Xpert?

I have a G3X suite with a GTN650 in my -10. I have begun doing the system and data base updates and have run into an issue.

All database updates are complete for both the G3x and GTN650.

The G3x system updates are complete.

The issue is the system update for the GTN650.

The current active revision is 6.51 and I am attempting to load 6.71. I have followed the SB directions and downloaded the GTN 6xx/7xx .exe file from the Garmin site. I have run the .exe file and created the loader card.

The instructions say to power off the GTN, insert the card, and power on the GTN. When I do this, the GTN screen remains blank and nothing happens. I have tried this with a 16GB SanDisk card and the extra 8GB card that comes with the GTN unit...same result.

I called Garmin and the guy there (not experimental department apparently) had me boot the GTN in configuration mode, put the card in and look at the GTN Updates page...which was blank.

It would appear that the GTN is not reading the card.

Has anyone had this issue? Like I said, the GTN read the database card without any issue but it doesn't see the file folders created from the .exe file.

Please help!

Bob - I went to the airport this morning, and mine successfully updated by putting the card in when powering up. I use an 8GB SanDisk card

The thing that DID NOT work was my safe taxi database updates for the G3X. For some reason its telling me that my System ID is incorrect, yet all the other databases updated fine. And I've updated these before without issue.

I have a G3X suite with a GTN650 in my -10. I have begun doing the system and data base updates and have run into an issue.

All database updates are complete for both the G3x and GTN650.

The G3x system updates are complete.

The issue is the system update for the GTN650.

The current active revision is 6.51 and I am attempting to load 6.71. I have followed the SB directions and downloaded the GTN 6xx/7xx .exe file from the Garmin site. I have run the .exe file and created the loader card.

The instructions say to power off the GTN, insert the card, and power on the GTN. When I do this, the GTN screen remains blank and nothing happens. I have tried this with a 16GB SanDisk card and the extra 8GB card that comes with the GTN unit...same result.

I called Garmin and the guy there (not experimental department apparently) had me boot the GTN in configuration mode, put the card in and look at the GTN Updates page...which was blank.

It would appear that the GTN is not reading the card.

Has anyone had this issue? Like I said, the GTN read the database card without any issue but it doesn't see the file folders created from the .exe file.

Please help!

...and

UPDATE: Well, I got it to work as advertised.

1. Used an OLD PC laptop, Windoze 10
2. Formatted Sandisk 16GB card using LONG FORMAT
3. Downloaded and ran .exe file from Garmin
4. Inserted card and powered the GTN
5. It read the card and applied the updates.

Note that the quick format DID NOT work...

Whew!

I updated my GTN 625 to version 6.71 this morning. Everything worked fine, but I did not see the quick page navigation feature mentioned above. I looked through the setup menus and didn't see anything there either. What am I missing? Is this not a feature applicable to the GTN 625?

Thanks!

Update

Hi Mark,

Almost all of the enhancements are for the Xi only.

Follow the link referenced in the Garmin post and download the installation instructions file, it contains the changes specific to the non-Xi units.

I too was bummed to find out that the quick navigation feature is not in the GTN update. That would be really neat! :D

I too was bummed to find out that the quick navigation feature is not in the GTN update. That would be really neat! :D

Definitely a bummer... that didnt register when i originally read Justin’s post. I quickly installed it and realized that for the GTN series the only benefit is the fuel flow info from the G3X... WHEN the G3X update is released, along with a bug fix or two

Good Morning,

We are excited to announce our latest software release's for both the GTN and GTN Xi Series IFR Navigators. These software updates can be downloaded from the Software Download Area directly, for EAB aircraft. Make sure to select the appropriate model when downloading the Software and Service Bulletin document, as the GTN and GTN Xi navigators use separate software loader cards. Several of the new features are a direct result of feature requests from the field, so please continue to provide your feedback on our equipment, and we will work to implement improvements that best serve the group as a whole as we continue to develop and enhance our products.

Database Sync with GPS 175, GNC 355 and GNX 375 IFR GPS Navigators

The ability to sync databases across the two families of Navigators is made possible by this GTN and GTN Xi update, as long as the 2 Inch Navigator is running the most recent version 3.10 software. There is one exception, database sync is not currently supported between a GTN 6XX/7XX and a GNX 375.

Also, with a forthcoming software update for the Garmin GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375, both the GTN and GTN Xi will be capable of flight plan crossfill between the two families of IFR GPS Navigators. We will update you here when the software for the 2 Inch Navigators is made available.

Fuel Flow Information

With a forthcoming update to the G3X Touch, we will be able to send Fuel Flow information from the G3X Touch to the GTN and GTN Xi Series Navigators. Configuration guidance and more details will be provided with the corresponding G3X Touch software update.

Glide Indications

Once a GTN Xi is configured with the glide ratio, best glide speed, etc. the estimated area the aircraft can glide is outlined in cyan around the aircraft on the moving map page. Both terrain and wind information are taken into account as part of the estimated area drawn. Wind information can come from a variety of inputs, including the G3X Touch, GI275, or G5 with optional OAT.

On the moving map page, cyan chevron arrows indicate the best airport within the estimated gliding distance and the most favorable reported weather conditions using a datalink weather source. Additionally, the nearest airport page indicates a green check box next to all airports that are within the estimated glide range. The pilot can adjust runway criteria displayed in the nearest airport page, such as surface type and length. If any airport is within best glide range, it will be displayed regardless of the preference set. The text font color and background color are inverted to identify the factor causing it not to be displayed, e.g. too short of a runway.

50693542721_b47dc6f72c_z.jpg

GTN Xi Radio Control

With dual GTN Xi installations, pilots can quickly control the COM and NAV radios of both from either GTN Xi. Controls include radio tuning and volume from either display. A new, dedicated radio page helps speed and simplify the process making it easy to understand and select the desired radio frequency and active/standby position for either GTN Xi.

50693542121_50abe498e6_w.jpg

50693542656_2c4713eb7c_w.jpg

Quick Page Navigation

Quickly switch between pages using the dual concentric knob. Like other Garmin products, the outer knob switches between pages and the inner knob switches between fields on the page. A locator bar indicates which page is currently selected and the other pages available. While the first and last pages are reserved, the others in between can be customized by the pilot. This will be very familiar for those using a GNS or flight display like the G3X. This enables most any feature to be accessed with the knobs and buttons alone.

50692802718_e58c5c102a_z.jpg

And much more:

• New user fields such as the ability to display Flight ID, a radios page shortcut, the current time (including seconds), distance and bearing from a selected waypoint, and current position formatted in latitude and longitude
• Ability to select a default page to display on startup
• Shortcut to view charts after tapping on airport, departure, arrival or approach from the Flight Plan page
• An option to inhibit terrain alerts and mute traffic alerts from their respective pop-ups

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

I can't wait to get my 650Xi updated and for the G3X udpate in the certified world to come along with it...
I've heard some rumblings though that possible with this update, the 650Xi no longer supports flight plans being pushed to it thru the G3X from an ipad? Did this functionality break or was removed at some point in the certified world? I know it currently works with the latest G3X + slightly older 650Xi firmware.

Thanks
Michael

G3Xpert,

Any updates on my question asked? Anyone with the Xi who has updated to the latest version have any issues sending a flight plan to the GTN Xi thru FF?

Flight Plan Transfer

G3Xpert,

Any updates on my question asked? Anyone with the Xi who has updated to the latest version have any issues sending a flight plan to the GTN Xi thru FF?

No we have not had any reports of this happening.

Thanks,

Justin

Updating the software on my GTN650 - SD Card?

Hi g3xpert - I haven't done a software update on my RV6's GTN650 so excuse the basic questions. I see in the installation instructions for version 6.72 the following: "Put the GTN Downloadable Software SD Card (010-01000-00) in the card reader."

But I think I saw in prior posts a comment by you that any SD card formatted with FAT32 will work. Is that true? or should I remove the (only) card from the 650 for the software install?

Another question: I have a Cirrus SR22 that's recently been upgraded with a GTN650xi and GI275. It seems that the automatic CDI change during an instrument approach (from GPS to LOC for example) doesn't work and the avionics shop that's done the upgrade was told that this is a known bug in the 650xi software. Do you know when a fix of this bug will be provided to certificated aircraft?

Thanks,
Moshe

Back