camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Thanks Scott!

IMHO Van's is a lot more customer-friendly than some of the other vendors who cater to the EAB community.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:37 PM

I understand that some of this is out Vans control but what is in their control is the lack of communication. I saw the video and read the month old release but I still have no idea if Iím going to be building an airplane or fishing all summer. All I want is a straight answer if itís going to be Thanksgiving tell me. We all want Vans reputation to be spotless itís, in our best financial interest but secrecy causes doubt and thats not good. I really believe they just donít have anybody with experience in cleaning up these type of messes. It would be nice to be able to put a game plan together Iíve got tens of thousands of dollars a prop, engine,wings, interior and in a couple weeks a 25k panel all shipped on time sitting in a rented hangar these delays are not free either.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
Somehow Whirlwind and Lycoming have been able to deliver even though it was months after I ordered the QB kits. (I now have a nice decoration on the wall of my workshop of a prop) Yes I understand the kits are made in a foreign country but who was watching to insure the quality was kept up and in place? I manage and have managed manufacturing in Asia and always have several people there even if it was me to supervise the operations. Cheaper labor is not cheaper if QC is not monitored and supervised. A question needs to be asked, what else is not being monitored for quality control and assurance? Was a Vans employee there over the last year to insure quality procedures where in place?
I've been impressed with Van's commitment to product quality and continuous process improvements. From the interview is sounds the cause of the problem was associated with the unannounced change of the chemical composition of the primer provided by their supplier. Given the chemical analysis required to determine this, it's not clear to me how this could have been prevented. This stopped the production line while priorities shifted to root cause analysis and remediation to customer's impacted. Yes it was unpleasant to all, but Van took care of the problem and their customers. I can't say the same for a lot of vendors I work with.
TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 04-17-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcerv.com View Post
I understand that some of this is out Vans control...

...All I want is a straight answer if itís going to be Thanksgiving tell me.
Maybe consider that the fact that it's out of their control means they can't give you the straight answer you want.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:02 AM

I would plan on fishing and if it all comes through then all the better. Expect the worst and enjoy the better. When I started my RV14 they didn't even have a fuse kit yet..... it all worked out. I'm 100% certain that they want nothing more than to earn your $$$ and satisfaction and that everything that Vans can do is being done.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:05 AM

I wonder what's going on in the Philippines and if it's related. The OEM commercial aircraft supplier I work for has their assembly lines there and we're noticing quality issues more recently.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drill_and_buck View Post
...From the interview is sounds the cause of the problem was associated with the unannounced change of the chemical composition of the primer provided by their supplier. Given the chemical analysis required to determine this, it's not clear to me how this could have been prevented...
Makes me wonder if it were anyone else, it couldn't have been like the LP siding defects a number of years ago. I believe that in the LP siding case a production supervisor decided to skimp on resin to cut costs and make up for supplier delays. As a result, the "change" became a defacto standard and defective siding was put on thousands of homes, and no one pinned down the actual cause until the lawyers hired engineers to investigate and proved the siding that failed did not meet manufacturing specifications.

This is the reason that I applaud Van's actions on this matter. Their proactive investigation of the problem speaks volumes about their company's values.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:13 PM

IMHO Van's is a lot more customer-friendly than some of the other vendors who cater to the EAB community.

Never a more accurate statement!
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:53 PM

Mitch at Vans is dealing in a most professional manner with a quality control issue of corrosion in some airframes delivered from the Philippines. The problem has been solved, and future kits will not be affected. He is contacting all parties that may have been shipped kits with even the remote possibility of corrosion, and spending considerable time, energy and money to make the proper adjustments, and all this in the mists of Covid 19. Be patient! They are a great company, and I have no doubt that things will be on track soon!

DAR Gary
Old 04-18-2021, 06:44 AM

Default Worldwide supply chain

The worldwide supply chain is screwed up and no relief is expected for at least a year. Microchip shortage has Toyota stopping the Tundra production in Texas. My metal prices for raw galvanized sheet steel went from .51/lb to over 1.00lb..... that a 100% increase in 4 months. Folks that some serious inflation coming down the chain and it will impact everyone, not just a kit supplier and builder. Wood prices have tripled and our elected overseers are already talking increasing taxes.

It is very very difficult to get in front of the communication chain when supply chain issues arise so fast. Vans has a communication Avenue on their website and the best that they can do is provide best estimates which is almost impossible when prediction models are so screwed up worldwide. Builders would be advised to daily view the Vans website for communication updates and realize that many many people have never seen this kind of worldwide disruption in their lifetime or even in the modern college textbooks.

I know itís tough times building a plane but itís even tougher avoiding bankruptcy while trying to race to the bottom producing products that customers canít believe is twice as expensive from a quote only a couple months ago.

Frankly Iíd rather be in the builders position right now.......

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Lycoming with CS, Built and Flying
1976 Aerostar 600A, Bucket-list twin