Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 06:20 PM

Another thing you may find is the paint is all messed up when the brake reservoir leaks as mine did and didn't know it till I pulled up the carpet and the foam padding. (I didn't build this one) The T-fitting came loose at the back of the reservoir and dribbled all down the firewall. I had only had to add a small amount of fluid a couple of times in 3 years.
A whole bunch of paint was all curled up under all that.
The takeaway is if the carpet and what ever is under it isn't easily removeable for inspection the paint doesn't so anything but add weight. The bare aluminum looks great though.
I'm not repainting the bare areas.
My three cents worth. Art
Old 04-16-2021, 05:52 PM

No primer on mine. Primed the heck out of my 7. Went as light as possible on the 12
West Chester Pa

2021 donation current
Old 04-16-2021, 07:30 PM

Default Paint

My 12 is zinc chromate primed and a good rattle can finish over that. It will be flown near the ocean a lot. When I started the 12 build, I weighted 236 - now weigh 175. My goal is 165. I did this for health reasons. I'm 71" tall. I don't expect to have the fastest, best looking or best 12 in the fleet but I hope that my 12 and I last a long and happy time.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:25 PM

Default Aircraft....and...um...fuselage weight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
My 12 is zinc chromate primed and a good rattle can finish over that. It will be flown near the ocean a lot. When I started the 12 build, I weighted 236 - now weigh 175. My goal is 165. I did this for health reasons. I'm 71" tall. I don't expect to have the fastest, best looking or best 12 in the fleet but I hope that my 12 and I last a long and happy time.
CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss! That is significant! I am a competitive cyclist and one of the best ways to go faster is reducing the weight of the "engine:".

An interior that is primed with a light coat is not going to add that much weight to the aircraft and will make it last longer. Come pop some inspection hole covers in a few airplanes with me if you want to see the result of not being primed.

RV-12: Good choice for a long and happy future!!
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!