- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:43 PM

Default Bush plane 10

My son and I want to do some back country camping. A nice bush plane would be great to have, but so would a Hughes 500D. To bad the budget doesn’t allow this. We watched a U Tube how the -10 beat out a Cessna 182 in almost every category so we thought how about removing the wheel pants and tossing on larger diameter tires.

Looking for any major negatives with this. Negatives I see are low wings so you need to be aware of hazards to the wing, slower, because of drag. Considering how a Cessna 182 performs, except for the low wings, the -10 out performs the 182 in most categories. The 182 is a decent back county plane, so the -10 should be equal or better. Has anyone made their 10 a back country type airplane for a trip?
Old 04-04-2021, 08:09 PM

A stock RV-10 will get you into and out of a lot of the backcountry strips as is:

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=172687

And yes, there are examples of RV-10's modified for rough strips. Do a search for posts here by 10TJ, he has taken his -10 into some impressive places:

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...5&postcount=14
Old 04-04-2021, 08:27 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

A lot depends on your definition of “Back Country” Flying in Idaho, many consider Johnson Creek a back country strip - until they fly into some of the REAL out of the way places - then Johnson Creek feels like DFW!

Any RV can get in and out of Johnson, Big Creek, or similar. Deadwood? That’s another story......
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-04-2021, 08:39 PM

This would happen with high or low wing....

How do props handle weed-whacking?

Aluminum vs carbon fiber?
Old 04-04-2021, 10:00 PM

Having previously owned a 182, now a -10:
The 182 has more cabin volume. The -10 can carry more weight (both planes with full tanks) but you need to watch the aft cg. Only real downside (assuming you’re not going somewhere where wing clearance from brush is an issue) is the landing gear. Fairings are close to the ground, I’d remove them. Unlike the 182, the fairings on the -10 actually work, removing them will slow you down. I haven’t taken the -10 into any rough fields. My gut instinct is that they won’t fare as well as the 182’s stock wheels. Now if you put on larger wheels, and keep the weight off the nose, you might have something.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
This would happen with high or low wing....

How do props handle weed-whacking?

Aluminum vs carbon fiber?
Lycoming defines a prop strike as “ Sudden RPM drop on impact to water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium where propeller damage does not usually occur”

among other conditions...

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 04-05-2021, 06:25 AM

Just a cautionary story. A few years ago, an RV landing at Bar-10 (inside the Grand Canyon) caught a wingtip on a tumbleweed which caused a runway excursion that nearly flipped the aircraft. It ended up being disassembled and taken out on a trailer to be repaired. Other low wing craft had landed safely (though one had some green stains under the wing) but the RV sits a little lower. Bar-10 is partially paved but they had not cleared the sides of the runway that year, yet, as it does not affect the Twin Otters that usually operate there. Now we check before planning a visit. So, don't pay attention just to the landing surface but also what is around it.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 04-05-2021, 07:10 AM

Damaging the wheel pants is my main concern. So I figured If I flew with them off, might as well get larger diameter tires. I have the Dresser tire retreads so they are slightly larger then stock. I’m not sure if you could go larger on the nose without any modifications. That is the deciding factor on going with larger. If I can’t go larger on the nose, without modification, I would run with what I have. Johnson Creek looks like a typical grass strip so wouldn’t remove the pants for that. Third option is fly with the pants on and remove them if needed and just toss them in the back of the plane.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:01 PM

What's the biggest tire you can stuff into the RV10 wheelpants?
Old 04-05-2021, 08:46 PM

Default Wheel pants

I met a man at Johnson Creek that flys a Harmon Rocket in the backcountry. He has RV-10 wheels and pants on his Rocket. He recommended not removing wheel pants on the RVs to avoid damage to the bottom of the wings, flaps, and tail. The pants keep the rocks from flying up. You may damage the pants, but they are much easier to repair or replace. I think removing the nose pant would be ok since you have that in the air almost all of the take-off roll and the fast part of the landing.

I found that I really liked having an aft CG while flying on backcountry runways.

-Andy