- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:35 AM

Default Transition from 6A to 9A

Received my transition training in a 6A and getting ready to move to a 9A. Was told that outside of landing a bit slower (10kts or so) the approach is the same. Basically, 90 mph on downwind with 10* of flaps, 80 mph on base with another 10*, final down to 70 mph additional flaps optional, finally power to idle when over the fence. Fly the runway nose high at 5 feet to bleed speed and let her settle on the mains. Stick back and the nose will fall when ready.

I did find the 6A did not like to get too slow too quickly as she would drop during the level off over the runway. I would carry just a nudge of power to slow the descent right before touchdown.

For those that transitioned does that sound about right?
Old 03-17-2021, 06:44 AM

That will work for the 9A but be prepared to use up a LOT of runway if you come over the numbers at 70 mph and are expecting the landing to happen any time soon. The 9 will not slow down as fast as the 6 and into my 2000 ft strip I never come in over the "numbers" at anything faster than 65 mph and expect to stop the roll within that runway length and that's on grass. Don't force the touchdown with that A model.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:46 AM

Default Rv-9A

About right. You will note that the airplane does not like to slow down. It wants to go fast, so think about getting to your pattern speed earlier. I use flaps for ALL landings, it assures the lowest possible speed for the nosegear to come down. Crosswind control is excellent so flaps don't need any retraction to assure control in gusty crosswinds. And slips work well, but it will just not come down like a 6. If you are fast it will float forever so guard your speed more carefully at first until you get used to it. It is the most pleasant plane to fly I have ever owned and I have owned over two dozen from tri-pacer to Baron. Van did himself proud on this one.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2021
Old 03-17-2021, 06:47 AM

Depends. I think you will float quite a bit at 70 mph over the fence. I pull power abeam the numbers, full flaps and trim for 60-65 mph the rest of the way down. But I also fly a pretty tight pattern, so if you are flying relatively wider patterns, your plan may work ok until you float down the runway at the end. My experience with a 6 is it drops a lot faster than the 9 so if you are floating with a 6 you will really float with a 9.

But there are multiple ways to skin a cat....

Just my two cents.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:49 AM

Thanks Denis. We were usually around 65 mph by the threshold in the 6A when power was pulled at the fence. Both are FP. Sounds like the 9 may be a bit more slippery. Are you flying short final at 65mph?
Old 03-17-2021, 06:55 AM

Greg, unfortunately we end up seeing far too many wide patterns with the flight schools down here. Not uncommon to be on a 3 or 4 mile base.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:28 AM

Yes, that's a fairly tight pattern and yes I do fly 65 mph with some flaps maybe as far back as the turn to final but thats maybe 1/2 mile.. with a fixed pitch prop and good airspeed control that works for me. My 9 is an excellent handling machine.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth6 View Post
Sounds like the 9 may be a bit more slippery.
It's not that the -9 is more slippery, it's that the wing on the -9 is that much more efficient. It needs to be slowed down farther before descent starts happening.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth6 View Post
Greg, unfortunately we end up seeing far too many wide patterns with the flight schools down here. Not uncommon to be on a 3 or 4 mile base.
Ugh. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:49 AM

I generally fly a very tight pattern with short finals. I fly 80 knots and add 10 degrees, maybe 20, on downwind. 20 degrees gives me a nice approach angle with good forward visibility over the nose. I'm usually over the fence at 65 knots, maybe 70, with about 10-20 deg flaps. I have a C/S prop and don't have an issue floating down the runway when the power comes off. I have noticed on the -6A that when it stops flying, it stops flying right now, (my instructor, who owned a -6A for years confirms this) whereas my -9A is much more inclined to land with utter predictability. If I start to flare a little high...it lets me just keep pulling back on the stick until it touches. Once you learn the fundamentals, the -9A is a pretty easy plane to land.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff