VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #151  
Old 04-01-2021, 11:37 AM
riseric's Avatar
riseric riseric is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Québec, CNV9
Posts: 376
Default Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Here's a gotcha for builders going with the horizontal air induction system snorkel. If you follow the directions on installing the baffles, you'll end up with a beautifully trimmed set of baffles, including the front-left inlet ramp (CB-1002A). Then, when you go to install the snorkel, you'll notice step 1 says "NOTE: Do not trim the length of part 2 Left Front Inlet Floor at this time". Of course they are talking about one of the baffle parts you just trimmed. Save $25+shipping by not trimming that piece.

I did exactly the same...

I have a beautyfully trimmed CB-1002A that fits perfectly to the cowl, but it's too short now...
Thinking about a way around it, maybe by adding a doubler to increase its lenght???
__________________
Eric,
2021 dues happily donated
RV-8 slow built #83274
Grove Airfoiled Gear, Wheels & Brakes
VPX-Pro, EFII System 32, EarthX batteries
Aerosport IO-375, MTV-9-B/183
Skyview HDX
C-GEMQ
Almost done...
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 04-01-2021, 12:05 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseric View Post
I did exactly the same...

I have a beautyfully trimmed CB-1002A that fits perfectly to the cowl, but it's too short now...
Thinking about a way around it, maybe by adding a doubler to increase its lenght???
Don't be surprised if you have to go a little off script in this area. My snorkel was a little outboard which changed the screw pattern and a few other things up. Just do something that makes it work and the baffles can seal against. You could go to a bigger length to get it like the plans but it may include modifying the snorkel for starter clearance.

Checkout post 534 here.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Flying as of 03/2021
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 04-01-2021, 01:31 PM
riseric's Avatar
riseric riseric is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Québec, CNV9
Posts: 376
Default

Thanks Jereme for the link to photos, it really helps!!
I notice that your CB-1002A is also short so there,s no front "lip". And you put an angle below the front filter overhang.

Did you you leave that as is??
__________________
Eric,
2021 dues happily donated
RV-8 slow built #83274
Grove Airfoiled Gear, Wheels & Brakes
VPX-Pro, EFII System 32, EarthX batteries
Aerosport IO-375, MTV-9-B/183
Skyview HDX
C-GEMQ
Almost done...
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 04-01-2021, 02:51 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseric View Post
Thanks Jereme for the link to photos, it really helps!!
I notice that your CB-1002A is also short so there,s no front "lip". And you put an angle below the front filter overhang.

Did you you leave that as is??
Yep, it's flying just like you see in the pictures. Seems to be working quite well. I did put some RTV in the corners so the baffle material could seal a little better as it forms a radius right there. Don't worry about bending the filleted piece of metal like it shows in the plans, if it's horizontal induction that piece gets eliminated as you can tell.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Flying as of 03/2021
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 04-01-2021, 03:04 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 4,374
Default Panel platenut strips

Ok. Don't make this mistake. These two strips (photos) are riveted to the top skin. They each have platenuts for screws holding the panel. They are not symmetrical with respect to the screws but they are symmetrical to the rivet holes so they can be installed on the wrong sides. Yep. Did it. They were riveted some time ago. Windshield is long since installed. So imagine my frustration when I try to attach the panel and there's no platenuts behind 10 holes! Oh Bother!
I drilled out the platenuts. Fabricated a doubler strip and attached the platenuts in the correct locations.
Do as I say. Don't do as I do!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210331_152649.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	9913
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_141429.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	9914
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 04-01-2021, 05:02 PM
Freakshow108's Avatar
Freakshow108 Freakshow108 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Eatonville WA
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Ok. Don't make this mistake. These two strips (photos) are riveted to the top skin. They each have platenuts for screws holding the panel. They are not symmetrical with respect to the screws but they are symmetrical to the rivet holes so they can be installed on the wrong sides. Yep. Did it. They were riveted some time ago. Windshield is long since installed. So imagine my frustration when I try to attach the panel and there's no platenuts behind 10 holes! Oh Bother!
I drilled out the platenuts. Fabricated a doubler strip and attached the platenuts in the correct locations.
Do as I say. Don't do as I do!
Attachment 9913
Attachment 9914
I’m attaching theses this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!!
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 04-16-2021, 03:39 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 4,374
Default FWF lines

Probably not a gotcha but I wish I had listened to my friend Jereme and deleted all the oil and fuel lines. Granted I'm off reservation with the RV10 oil cooler mounted on the firewall but the VA-136 fuel line is not a good fit with the new mount and gear. I wish I had relocated the contactors toward the starboard side. I'm sure Vans has a reason for them located so close to the fuel line.
So, as usual, Tom @ TS Flightlines to the rescue. In addition to a nice conversation, we swapped some photos and measurements and new lines are on the way. Thanks Tom.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 04-16-2021, 05:05 PM
jcarne's Avatar
jcarne jcarne is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Worland, Wyoming
Posts: 1,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Probably not a gotcha but I wish I had listened to my friend Jereme and deleted all the oil and fuel lines. Granted I'm off reservation with the RV10 oil cooler mounted on the firewall but the VA-136 fuel line is not a good fit with the new mount and gear. I wish I had relocated the contactors toward the starboard side. I'm sure Vans has a reason for them located so close to the fuel line.
So, as usual, Tom @ TS Flightlines to the rescue. In addition to a nice conversation, we swapped some photos and measurements and new lines are on the way. Thanks Tom.
You won't regret it. I used em for all my lines. P.S. You can also get your data plate and fuel caps engraved by Steve when the time comes if you want.
__________________
Jereme Carne
PPL
RV-7A Flying as of 03/2021
Exempt but gladly paying!
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 04-16-2021, 05:46 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 4,374
Default Panel cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
You won't regret it. I used em for all my lines. P.S. You can also get your data plate and fuel caps engraved by Steve when the time comes if you want.
Next phone call. He also cuts panels. Tom said he would send a draft CAD drawing to fine tune then cut the panel to the final drawing. Saves me drawing from scratch.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 04-16-2021, 07:09 PM
PilotjohnS PilotjohnS is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,413
Default Real homebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Next phone call. He also cuts panels. Tom said he would send a draft CAD drawing to fine tune then cut the panel to the final drawing. Saves me drawing from scratch.
Only real homebuilders make their panels with a drill and file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8EA87843-E930-4B41-B636-D12AE58D409A.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	10486  
__________________
John S

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.