What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED lighting

Leiney Honey Weiss

Mark,

Let's plan on a hot summer, and I'll take a Leiney's Honey Weiss. I look forward to meeting you. I'll bring my shades......:cool:

Hi Steve, I just wanted to warn you that the links show flashers for very small LED's. The current in any of those circuits is probably less than 20 ma. If you are looking at driving your other LED's you will be talking an amp or so.

If you use the BuckPuck LEDdriver, all you need is 5v to trigger the external control function. It doesn't have to drive the LEDs themselves.

If you use the BuckPuck LEDdriver, all you need is 5v to trigger the external control function. It doesn't have to drive the LEDs themselves.
This is good to know. I am not an electrical engineer and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night so I am needing all the information I can get to keep the smoke in. :D

FYI -

For the therma conducting glue, the exact same stuff can also be found at Radio Shack.

Vince
RV-7

FYI -

For the therma conducting glue, the exact same stuff can also be found at Radio Shack.

Vince
RV-7
Interesting that you post this. I just came back from a trip to Radio Shack and saw the stuff on the shelf for the same price, less shipping, that I bought it online.

what are the relevant FARs?

Hi guys,

I was looking through the FARs and I can't find any details on what are: the required wavelength/color of the position lights, the required brightness of the position lights/strobes/etc...

Can anyone point me to where those types of specs are called out?

thanks

RE:Stand OFF from Al.

Hi

I started the Pete Howell version of the led nav lights today.....

Question? What is the stand off distance between the Aluminium and the Acrylic Mirror? I would assumn the thickness of the star led.

Question? What did you folks use for the spacer in the stand off?

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... engine about to start.................:D

Nylon Spacers

Frank,

I used some nylon washer/spacers from the local HW store. Small nuts will work fine, too.

We can thank Tim Mahoney...

I wish you had found this back in December when I was wading through all the LED measurement stuff!

...of Mid-Sota Aircraft Technologies posting in a recent thread. It was a link within a linked document....:)

He found it, and it really is much better than the FARs on details, even if it is a somewhat dated document.
He also used it for his light output testing, which is probably more than a lot of the other LED nav light suppliers did...:rolleyes:

I wish you had found this back in December when I was wading through all the LED measurement stuff!

Dan,

That's a good document because it discusses photometry and colorimetry, as well as the Blondel-Rey equation, and it has accurate position light requirements, but it doesn't contain the latest requirements for the anti-collision lights. For that you need SAE AS8017B.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC

Other than 400 cd?

Dan,

. . . . . . . . . but it doesn't contain the latest requirements for the anti-collision lights. For that you need SAE AS8017B.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC

You mean something other than the newer requirement for 400 effective candela as opposed to the older one for 100? ( I think the angle requirements changed a bit as well). Those changes are covered pretty well in the FAR.

You mean something other than the newer requirement for 400 effective candela as opposed to the older one for 100? ( I think the angle requirements changed a bit as well). Those changes are covered pretty well in the FAR.

While it is true that the FAR covers the requirements, the details of the requirement and the measurement techniques are in AS8017B. This is the document that is called out by the TSO for certification testing, and is the official testing standard for airborne strobes... just pointing out that if you want the official requirements and test methods for strobe testing, that is where you will find it.

And unfortuneately the SAE...

While it is true that the FAR covers the requirements, the details of the requirement and the measurement techniques are in AS8017B. This is the document that is called out by the TSO for certification testing, and is the official testing standard for airborne strobes... just pointing out that if you want the official requirements and test methods for strobe testing, that is where you will find it.

...charges for all of it's specifications, unlike the free Mil-Specs (now obsolete) and the FAA ACs.....:(

It's a $61 specification.

...charges for all of it's specifications, unlike the free Mil-Specs (now obsolete) and the FAA ACs.....:(

It's a $61 specification.

Yes, the SAE charges for their specifications. Home builders probably aren't going to fork over the money to buy a copy, but anyone in the business who is working to get the TSO needs a copy.

LED Lights on both sides of the cut out

Hello;
I am instaling Led Lights on my RV6A, I have the wing tip cut outs with the lens cover. I am thinking of placing Led stars on both sides of the cut out.
5 around the strobe and 5 where the normal position light would be. Is there
any problem with this idea? As I plan to do lot's of night flights.

Thanks
Bob Wieczorek:rolleyes:

LED nav light radio interference(Power Puck??)

Hello, Hoping anyone can give me some guidance. Jeff's Bordelion's email address doesn't work and his web site is gone. He was the original person offering these LED nav lights as a package.
I am trying to figure out if these LED nav lights are no longer made because of the problem I have had with them from the start. Completed my RV10 in 2012. The lights work beautifully, problem is you can't have your VHF on. If the lights are turned on, initially there is no problem, but the minute SOMEONE broadcasts on your radio frequency, static comes on and will not go away, even after the broadcast is finished. That is with my panel mounted radio and belly mounted whip antenna.

I have tried using my handheld which is also hardwired into the aircraft power supply, but with a different wingtip antenna and the same thing happens. On this setup the wingtip antenna is right next to the Power Puck and the static begins even before someone broadcasts on frequency. Thus it is not my intercom.

I have not tried the handheld running from its own battery with its wingtip antenna. I suspect it is the power pucks that power the LED lights are emitting lots of RF which I have not been able to shield.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks,

John
[email protected]
contact offline too at the above email...THANKS

Led Landing Lights

Well I am now convinced about led lighting.

I have the Aero Leg Position and strobe lights for my rv-10, and I can confirm there much brighter then the wheelens on our Saratoga that we fly in a side beside comparison.

This last annual we purchases the Aero Led Spot landing lights for both wing tips and the Spot taxi light for the bottom of the engine cowl. I flew the airplane last Friday night at 10 pm wanting a very dark night to really see how well the work.

Now I am convinced again, it was 500% better then the Q4509 bulbs we had installed and more than half the electrical load.

So now the RV-10 will be getting the RV Tip taxi-landing light combo that is under development, from Aero LED.

I would be say it is a safety issue in my opinion.

So i now have a new set of MR16 sized HID landing light kit for sale. I know of several rv-10 using them with great success.

So any one interested just let me know.

Great Job Aero Led,

I am going to Demo the new lights for our EAA chapter one month during our meeting.

You may want to research that...

"... So now the RV-10 will be getting the RV Tip taxi-landing light combo that is under development, from Aero LED..."

Unfortunately, that kit is not for the -10, the cutout in the tip is the wrong size...:(

They said that they are looking at an "adapter kit" to make it work but I have the HWA Safe Air1 ER tanks installed and they didn't think that the kit would fit, even with an adapter..:(:(

LED drivers

John,

I tried several buckpucks, they were too noisy. Some chinese ones from ebay were so bad they broke the squelch on my handheld that was in another room.

Found these:
http://www.meanwell.com/search/LDD-L/default.htm

I think I used LDD-700L ($7 at mouser.com), but not sure. I used a single one for 6 LEDs. The way I wired them it's giving the LEDs 350mA each, which works out well. You can use two of these if you need more power. No noise at all and no wasted power like with resistors. Also used them for LED cabin lighting.

Lenny

Hello, Hoping anyone can give me some guidance. Jeff's Bordelion's email address doesn't work and his web site is gone. He was the original person offering these LED nav lights as a package.
I am trying to figure out if these LED nav lights are no longer made because of the problem I have had with them from the start. Completed my RV10 in 2012. The lights work beautifully, problem is you can't have your VHF on. If the lights are turned on, initially there is no problem, but the minute SOMEONE broadcasts on your radio frequency, static comes on and will not go away, even after the broadcast is finished. That is with my panel mounted radio and belly mounted whip antenna.

I have tried using my handheld which is also hardwired into the aircraft power supply, but with a different wingtip antenna and the same thing happens. On this setup the wingtip antenna is right next to the Power Puck and the static begins even before someone broadcasts on frequency. Thus it is not my intercom.

I have not tried the handheld running from its own battery with its wingtip antenna. I suspect it is the power pucks that power the LED lights are emitting lots of RF which I have not been able to shield.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks,

John
[email protected]
contact offline too at the above email...THANKS

Back