-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Spin out of a skid.....as in base to final screw-up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Iszak View Post
Vac has a good video about stalls in the base to final turn, going all the way into the spin, with excellent explanation on what's happening, and also accompanied by AOA tones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5xntbFSHf0

Lenny
Great video! Everyone should watch this! It's what I was describing in my previous post. What might be described as "a must to avoid" (with apologies to Herman's Hermits.....).

A spin is a sudden onset of unusual attitude and the corrective "reflex" is usually wrong: pull back as Ma Earth is coming up and the cows are spinning and getting larger. Push forward and opposite rudder. The Cub winds up a little after the second turn but if you just let go of everything, she takes another turn and a half or so before coming out of it without input from the pilot. Better with pilot input....

If you have not done them, again, go find an instructor that teaches them. See what they look like, how to avoid them and what to do to get out of them, if there is room (i.e., not on base to final). Knowing how to avoid getting there in the first place can save your life.
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!
Old 04-05-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1 View Post
The Cub winds up a little after the second turn but if you just let go of everything, she takes another turn and a half or so before coming out of it without input from the pilot.
Not just the Cub either; I did spin training on my last FR in my -7 and it recovered if you just let go at spin onset almost as fast as with anti-spin inputs.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Old 04-05-2021, 01:54 PM

Default Great design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odens_14 View Post
Not just the Cub either; I did spin training on my last FR in my -7 and it recovered if you just let go at spin onset almost as fast as with anti-spin inputs.
The -4 recovers quickly as well. I have heard not as quickly as the -6/7 (rumor) as there is a larger fuselage side area to blunt the effect. Never spun a -6/7.

Yet another attribute of very well-designed airplanes! Thanks, Van!
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!