What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dent Removal

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone ever used a kit like this for dent removal on your plane? How well did it work? Years ago I saw someone selling the kits at Oshkosh, for removing dents in aircraft wing skins.

Apprenticekit-1024x683.jpg

http://www.magneticdentremovalsystem.com/mdrs-for-band-directors-instrumentalists/

It makes pretty good sense for a brass musical instrument where the yield strength of the material is low and quite thin for the powerful magnets to work.

I would have my doubts of the effectiveness on 2024 heat treated. But - -I don't know that for sure - - did they demonstrate on that alloy at OSH?

Listening for any witnesses/experiences . . .

I though I read that addressing dents in aircraft skin could cause work-hardening...? I was under the impression that plastic deformation in heat-treated 2024 was a bad thing, leading to stress cracking.

2024-T3 can be susceptible to stress-corrosion cracking, sometimes partly due to forming effects during manufacture, but this generally requires sustained high tensile stresses at the material surface. This might happen in cases like some close tolerance fastener installations. However, it's not really likely to be a problem when flattening a dent, which I'm guessing the OP is considering.

For example, every dimple in an RV skin involves plastic deformation, without causing problems if it is done on a properly-prepared hole. And, Van's allows a single dimple, flatten, re-dimple sequence in most cases to compensate for our screw-ups. Multiple re-dimplings can cause cracking problems, but this isn't stress-corrosion cracking.

Skin Alloy?

Isn't the alloy used in the wing and stab skins 6061-T6, not 2024?
Ed

Alclad?

All 2024, tubes and some angles are 6061. The skins, ribs, spars, bulkheads are all 2024.

Is the 2024T3 used on the skins ALCLAD? Insteresting that I did not know this alloy was used on the 9A I purchased. I should know more...oh well even at 77 I keep learning.
Ed

Steel is different than ALuminum. Often in steel, the bulk of the dent is spring tension and not actual bending. Therefore, it can be reversed. In my limited experience, I have found that with AL, some of the material will bend into the dent shape. You need hammers and dolleys to actually shrink the AL back into shape. Not much spring tension in AL.

Larry

Last edited:
I was under the impression that plastic deformation in heat-treated 2024 was a bad thing, leading to stress cracking.

Need to tell Vans that.:rolleyes: They bend MANY 2024 parts that go on your plane; like all of your ribs. Heat treating of AL is very different than carbon steel and doesn't create brittleness or significantly reduced ductility. What makes 2024 stronger than 6061 is mostly copper alloy. Heat treating increases tensile strenth without a significant increase in hardness; Very different from steel in this regard.

Last edited:
How big is the dent?

First off, by trade/day job, I specialize in aircraft structure. The likelihood of reworking a dent in thin skin with perfect results is near impossible. 2024-T3 (clad or unclad) doesn't easily return to pre-dent dimension, and more often than not, an "iny becomes outy". If it is a curved surface your chances are better, such as a leading edge, ect. I have had decent luck with metal engine cowlings(curvey ones), but wing skins and fuselage skins are extremely challenging. If the dent is smooth with no creases and does not oil can on its own with flight or flexing , the best bet is to fill it and paint. If I'm looking for polishing grade finish, its time to get the spoons out and burnish form it, but that's an art...its how many of the pro dent guys work out a nice new car ding. Mild steel is a different animal and not easily compared to 2024-T3.

Back