What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for Vetterman vents

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
Searching for (fresh air) vents, I came across mention of Vetterman vents but no pictures of them.

On my RV-3B I have vents mounted on forward fuselage sides. They are about 1" diameter and opened/closed by turning a knob. Looks like a butterfly valve. When opened, half of the circular valve sticks out into the wind and the other half into the cockpit. When closed they are completely flush with the fuselage skin. Are those "Vetterman vents"?

Where can I buy then? Appears that Van's no longer sell them and nothing on the vetterman.com web site.

Finn

Eyeball vents

I have a pair of aluminum vents that I purchased back when I was planning to build a -7A. It may be a few days before I can get out to the field but I'll send you a pic so you can determine it they are what you need.

We have those exact same vents on our RV-3, and yes, Larry Vetterman made them. I don’t know if he has made them for a long time though...it was my understanding that he wasn’t producing them anymore, but I could be wrong.

Paul

We have those exact same vents on our RV-3, and yes, Larry Vetterman made them. I don’t know if he has made them for a long time though...it was my understanding that he wasn’t producing them anymore, but I could be wrong.

Paul

Thanks.

Unless they were cast aluminum that's a lot of milling work and wasted alum.

Wonder if I could 3D print them ...

Finn

Thanks.

Finn

I’d think it would be a perfect opportunity for a printed part - Larry might even have the drawings if you asked him!

Vents

Here’s where the vents stand. First they were called the “ultimate vent”. The manufacturer of them decided to retire and I looked around for some other company to take them over and produce them. I contacted a well known company who’s name I won’t mention without permission and they have drawings etc and I hope it works out to get them produced again.

Here’s where the vents stand. First they were called the “ultimate vent”. The manufacturer of them decided to retire and I looked around for some other company to take them over and produce them. I contacted a well known company who’s name I won’t mention without permission and they have drawings etc and I hope it works out to get them produced again.

Thank you so much for answering and the info!

I really am curious. Were they of cast alum or milled from alum billet?

Finn

Thanks.

Finn

To answer my own question, I looked closer at it and the ring, butterfly valve and the angled blocks are actually separate and mechanically attached.

So not as much wasted metal as I originally thought. However, can't be all that cheap to manufacture in alum. That's where 3D printing comes into the picture. I was able to but can be improved.

An embedded metal bushing comes to mind. If the valve could be 3D printed around a bent or textured knob axle, that would be better than trying to bond it to the valve (or secure it with a tiny pin through the axle.

Finn

Back