What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your RV-10 progress.

EmpAttach03.jpg

Last edited:
That is an RV Grin, my beard just hides it. I was way excited when the QB Fuselage was delivered.

Lots of work done inside, almost ready to install brake lines, fuel lines, and rudder paddles.

Current Progress as of December 2005

Well, the prop is on and paint and other items have started.
47473515-M-1.jpg

Working on a concelled oil door
47473874-M.jpg

Exhaust and baffle installation

I've started installing the baffle and exhaust system. I had the baffles powder coated black and the exhaust was ceramic coated at hpcoatings.com

People have talked about decreased life with ceramic coating because of increased heat inside the exhaust but the guys at hpcoatings haven't seen this. From what I can read this mostly occurs to turbocharged aircraft flying high with minimal cooling. I haven't supported the exhaust yet, that is why it is hanging down. I had to go buy some anti-sieze for the bolts before finishing.
I am hoping for a cooler cowling plus it just looks awesome!!!!
49422904-M.jpg

ScottSchmidt said:
I've started installing the baffle and exhaust system. I had the baffles powder coated black and the exhaust was ceramic coated at hpcoatings.com

People have talked about decreased life with ceramic coating because of increased heat inside the exhaust but the guys at hpcoatings haven't seen this. From what I can read this mostly occurs to turbocharged aircraft flying high with minimal cooling. I haven't supported the exhaust yet, that is why it is hanging down. I had to go buy some anti-sieze for the bolts before finishing.
I am hoping for a cooler cowling plus it just looks awesome!!!!
49422904-M.jpg
Scott,
I have had considerable experience with the Jet-hot coating and didn't have any problems. (Racing cars and motorcycles) You won't have shorter life, rather the opposite if you take a minimum of care. As you say, it looks great! I was visiting my kids and grand kids, (scary isn't it), for Christmas just outside Provo, I wish I had thought to call and see if you want to show it off! You will have lower in cowl temps. On the motorcycles I did the most recently I saw a reduction of about 10?F, which is a lot when you consider that the fairing isn't that tightly sealed.

Labor of Love

I just spent all day Friday sanding the inside of N104XP. I am going to paint around the windows and doors and then trim up to it with the headliner so I can finish off the edges with stiching. My brother came over with his new toy, some new Nikon 200 something that takes 11 Megapixel pictures and took a bunch of shots with it. Things are getting exciting. It was great to hear that Tim flew. I feel so close but still so far to go.

I liked this shot.

56159022-L-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting Close

Just to keep this post moving a little, here is some progress.
It is really fun putting the wings on for the final time and seeing it all come together.

My brother found me the coolest bikes for the hanger. They are a blast to cruise on.

94513867-L.jpg

94513886-L.jpg

Ceramic Coated Exhaust

Seems like it was around $200-$300 and the powder coating of the baffles was around $150. I also ceramic coated the step because they said it was tougher than powder coating and won't crack when flexed.
It doesn't shine as much as chrome, but turned out great.
-Scott

I'll have to get the exact color codes for the red, silver, and gray later if you would like them. I only have a picture of the white and the clear coat. I initially received the red codes from Lancair and then matched it the best I could. I really like how the colors turned out. The brand is R M and it is a base/clear system. I really like how it has turned out. Cutting and buffing it has been alot of work but I have been really happy with the product.

94513870-L.jpg

59667834-M.jpg

59668084-M.jpg

RV-10 40624

Got written up by the local newspaper, not bad for a staged photo.

leaderpostphoto1we0.jpg

George Henson works on a RV-10 plane that he is building in his garage. He is installing the antenna in the tail section of the craft, which he expects will take 10 years to complete.
Photograph by : Roy Antal, The Leader-Post

FlightDEK-D180

What type of engine monitor did you install? I'm 60% to completion on my RV-10. I'm looking to install a D180 EFIS in the RV-10. Built a RV-6 several years ago. Any feedback or opinion on this type of installation? Mike

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This was taken in January. We have now finished the Empennage Attach section 11 and have moved on to the QB wings.

David and Mary Maib
Wings
Eagan, MN

Yugo panel done in the RV10

Passed a major milestone getting the panel completed and fired up with NO wires fried or instruments blown up. Panel done by BS Aviation.......those guys do great work. It is hard to believe the plane is this far along. Seems like just a few months ago I was smiling over getting the empenage done yet Tim Olson was working nite and day to get his to Sun N Fun. God willing this bird will fly to OSH '07.

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1047tn8.jpg

Dean 40449

Dean,

Nice simple layout, but what is that vertical glass next to your Dynon do? It seems to have a portable connection too?

ajay

Finished my vertical stabilizer today!

Just finished my vertical stabilizer today. First sub component done, a whole bunch more to go! Thanks to Tom Webster for his great on-site mentoring yesterday.

FP18032007A0005N.jpg

rleffler said:
Just finished my vertical stabilizer today. First sub component done, a whole bunch more to go! Thanks to Tom Webster for his great on-site mentoring yesterday.

QUOTE]
Let the fun begin!

RV10Hopeful said:
I see you got the motor out of the garage. Did you get the wings cleaned?
This must be Keith. Yup. Wings mostly cleaned up, need to finish the one wingtip and then to storage. Then I can get back to sanding :( the lid.

805HL Status

This weekend we made good progress getting 805HL closer to FLYING. The motor ran great.........no leaks. One leaking QB fuel tank (Thank U to the Phillipines) and a leaking Fuel filter. Dynon EMS calibrated and 99% functional.........Dynon EFIS not so much YET! Prop cycled like a top with no issues. Solved the Elevator Trim tabs degrees UP and degrees Down issue. One receiving issue on the radios to solve. What a feeling to hear that 260 HP fire and purr with no issues...........now waiting to hear from the FAA for a date to inspect. Any DAR near central Nebraska..........or one that has an interest to fly in and inspect an RV10 soon? pics attached.

Dean 40449
Getting anxious and Inpatient
rv10log194xm2.jpg

rv10log193nq7.jpg

RV10 "First flight Grin"

Today I had the pleasure of flying chase for Sam Marlow and Dan Rothhaar's first flight of they're RV10. The flight lasted about a half an hour with the airplane flying perfectly, but also with the requisite glitches. A problem with the Grand Rapids EIS oil temp probe( the 3rd one that I personally have seen bad), Airspeed reading about 20 knots low( flush static vents???), and quite a bit of oil out the breather and onto the left exhaust providing puffs of smoke at 1 to 2 second intervals. So after 30 min. Sam decided it was time to land and he "claims" it was perfect.

Sam Marlow with the RV GRIN also note the silk scarf ( Jerry Seinfeld "puffy shirt") that his girlfriend requested he wear.

My Panel

Here it is, after a couple of months chasing parts, making and re-making decisions---------I think I have succeeded in integrating the panel started by the previous owner, and the additions I felt necessary for my own "comfort level".

Many thanks to all who have responded to the 3 or 4 threads I have put up trying to get enough info to make informed decisions about this.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001689179535771172http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/20259/2001689179535771172_rs.jpg

Mike

Thanks

Doug, thanks for fixing the oversize photo thing--------wish I knew how, would have done it myself.

Mike

It's lookin good Mike! Too bad I don't live in EDH anymore or I'd be helping you finish that thing up!

Mike S said:
Here it is, after a couple of months chasing parts, making and re-making decisions---------I think I have succeeded in integrating the panel started by the previous owner, and the additions I felt necessary for my own "comfort level".

Many thanks to all who have responded to the 3 or 4 threads I have put up trying to get enough info to make informed decisions about this.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001689179535771172http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/20259/2001689179535771172_rs.jpg

Mike

Clutter.

Rick, the GRT screens have so much info on them that I am concerned about info overload. I chose to use the Ray Allen units to remove things from the GRTs.

I still remember one of the lessons learned by fighter pilots in Viet Nam--------

Besides, they were free to boot.

Stephen, thanks, how are things going since your move??? Got a plane yet??

Mike

Last edited:
Mike your panel looks great. Next time that I am that way I will call and if your home will stop by. My 6 is gone and am flying the 10. Need a painter if you have any suggestions. Phil (fireman from fresno)

No longer a glider - engine installed!

IO-540 rebuilt by G&N Aircraft, Griffith, IN

One day I'll figure out how to attach an image . . .

TDT

Try this site. I find it to be much easier to use than imageshack.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/

Look through your images first, so you will know exactly where the one you want is, makes things easier when you hit the "Browse" button on the web page.

Resize to the 320x240 "blog/website" size.

Hit "upload"

After that, wait until the screen resets, and the image is there. Highlight the entire address---I use the third option in the lower group--you will need to hold the cursor slightly off to the right and let the entire address scroll by, then do a "copy/paste" into the message.

Example here-----engine in my Stinson.

[img=http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/19193/2001925110243301112_rs.jpg]

After hitting the copy, hit the space bar a couple of times to make sure the link address is there all by itself.

Good luck, Mike

A hint for you

Congrats on getting this far---------

I am at the stage of things were I am ready to put the insulation on the inside of my firewall------------so I have been doing a lot of pondering about that particular chore.

Here is what I would suggest to you.

Before you do any more to the engine side of the firewall, make yourself some paper templates of the various pieces you will need for the inside insulation.

At the stage shown in your photo, you still have virtually total access to the firewall, and can locate the stiffeners and poke throughs ETC.

I sure wish I had a set of templates like this-----------

Interior is painted

Mike thanks for the advice!
I painted the interior now and installed also my fuel lines + Andair fuel valve assembly.
My engine is on the way to Switzerland.

Lots of progress, its so much fun building the -10

Michael

www.wellenzohn.net
interiorpaint.jpg

sticksinstalled.jpg

Back