What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High AMPS on a new battery.

chrisi456

Just bought a new Concorde battery for my RV-8. Last one was getting a little weak, after start, the AMPS would read up to 24 but would go down quickly to 7 in flight.
New battery came with a low charge, I use a BatteryMINDer on it. Charged over night, was OK. Flew one hour flight, hooked up the MINDer and had normal indications. Came out the next day and it indicated low voltage and charging at an increased rate, normally it is a low charge. Charged it with a battery charger and seems to be holding proper volts, starts right away. However, my AMPs after start get up to as high as 49 but work their way down to 9 inflight. I don't understand what the high AMPs are telling me. My old battery never exceeded 25 AMP's for start, this one is as high as 49. Talked to Concorde and they said the high AMPs were probably due to the high ambient temperature, not to worry. The next day the temp was lower, 11 degrees and my AMPs were higher, 49 that day, had been around 42. I don't understand what these indications are telling me, I don't want to get stranded somewhere.
Thank you.... Chris

IMHO if the amps come down to around "normal" in flight then I would not worry too much. It is not uncommon for a new battery to draw much more initial current than an old one. Keep an eye on it for now until you are comfortable with what you are experiencing. Maybe it's "normal" for this battery.

:cool:

Last edited:
Stop using a battery charger. Fly the plane, let it sit overnight, then measure the battery voltage at the terminals (nothing connected).

I suspect you have a problem and the battery terminal voltage will tell the tale. Your unnecessary use of a battery tender/minder/charger would, for this issue, would mask the problem.

Unless you let the plane sit for months at a time, there is never a need to attach an external charger and many reasons not to.

Carl

Back